Subject: Wright + Esmerelda FTW rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Torgo Shuffle
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 3-player game last night using all the expansions. Story card was Desperadoes (base game) and we used the Browncoat Way setup card.
I lost the toss for choosing ships/leaders but thought I'd give the Esmerelda + Wright combo a try. Holy hell! After finding a mechanic and pilot to stave off any Reaver attacks, those credits just started rolling in - $12,000 from just 2 Fanty & Mingo jobs!
Step 1: get a pilot & mechanic in your crew
Step 2: get solid with Amnon Duul
Step 2.5(optional): get some extra hold space upgrade
Step 3: get a job from Fanty & Mingo that pays out per Fugitive
Step 4: start the job, then swing by Amnon Duul and load up on extra Fugitives until they're pouring out your ears
Step 5: deliver them for $$
Wright turned out to be worth an extra $3,000 in profits by the end of the game. Your fugitives can't be pirated away by the other players, the Esmerelda keeps them safe from the Alliance and as long as you can Crazy Ivan away from Reavers they can't touch you either. Finished the game with more than $17,000 in the hand - closest rival had $10,000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wright + Esmeralda CAN be very potent (probably the only way that Transport Jobs are really a viable path to victory), but the problem is that you're limited to working for the twins, or possibly Magistrate Higgins (who has a small number of similar jobs). The acrobatics of also having to stop off at the Space Bazaar also takes a bit of the edge off, since you basically need to spend the equivalent of 1.5 jobs.

Best starting locations are probably Meridian (where there are some nice anti-Reaver upgrades, eliminating the need for the Pilot/Mechanic combo) and Beaumonde (where you can pick up a Mechanic and a Pilot - and Holder can get Fugitives on his own!).

Depending on the story card, this can be a fantastic approach. But I'd hate to be rocking Wright + Esmeralda for, say, Harken's Folly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just be sure to stick with non-Moral crew, else they become disgruntled every time you claim Wright's Slaver bonus.

I wonder if you deliver fugitives to complete an Immoral job and take Wright's bonus, if that means any Moral crew you have pick up two Disgruntled tokens (and automatically jump ship). Or if Wright's bonus just makes any fugitive transport job itself Immoral, so Moral crew would only pick up one even if the job was already Immoral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great point. I believe it be a double-Disgruntle, since you're basically a) completing an Immoral Job, THEN b) taking a bonus which is defined as an Immoral act.

Once again, this makes the Rim Supply planets (with only 1 Moral Crew between them), a great stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torgo Shuffle
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
Just be sure to stick with non-Moral crew, else they become disgruntled every time you claim Wright's Slaver bonus.

Yeah, I had to watch for that because I was lucky enough to have Wash as a pilot cool but I timed it right and played it like a bastard - both times the delivery point was at Beaumonde, so I could do the Work action and only pay Wash (so everyone else got disgruntled from not being paid) then taking a Buy action for shore leave.
You don't feel so bad about spending multiple actions like that when you're raking in in the vicinity of $6,000 for a single job

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
torgoshuffle wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:

Yeah, I had to watch for that because I was lucky enough to have Wash as a pilot cool but I timed it right and played it like a bastard - both times the delivery point was at Beaumonde, so I could do the Work action and only pay Wash (so everyone else got disgruntled from not being paid) then taking a Buy action for shore leave.
You don't feel so bad about spending multiple actions like that when you're raking in in the vicinity of $6,000 for a single job

If you hung on to the "Full Mess Deck" upgrade that the Esmeralda starts with, and you had any extra cargo or contraband (which you can even purchase from Fanty&Mingo while picking up jobs, though that takes away a slot for an extra Fugi), you don't even have to spend an action, since you can improve ship morale with an in-flight meal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torgo Shuffle
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
If you hung on to the "Full Mess Deck" upgrade that the Esmeralda starts with, and you had any extra cargo or contraband (which you can even purchase from Fanty&Mingo while picking up jobs, though that takes away a slot for an extra Fugi), you don't even have to spend an action, since you can improve ship morale with an in-flight meal

Yeah, that was a hard choice - but in the end I think the maths worked in favour of getting extra cargo space and just filling up on Fugitives (3 extra Fugitives - 2 from the upgrade + one from freeing up the Cargo/Contraband needed for the in-flight meal - and paying $600 shore leave still leaves a net gain of $600 above the Mess Deck option)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know... any time you can save an action for a few hundred backs, it seems like a good idea to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
torgoshuffle wrote:
Yeah, that was a hard choice - but in the end I think the maths worked in favour of getting extra cargo space and just filling up on Fugitives (3 extra Fugitives - 2 from the upgrade + one from freeing up the Cargo/Contraband needed for the in-flight meal - and paying $600 shore leave still leaves a net gain of $600 above the Mess Deck option)

The other upgrade you start out with is the Caravan Pods (d'ya like dags?), which give you the +2 fugi/passenger compartments (plus an extra crew slot).

But I suppose there are many ways to skin a cat. And Wright "didn't need more rations" anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torgo Shuffle
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other two players were Jubal in the Interceptor and Atherton in the Walden.
Jubal was trying to play a piracy game and kitted out his small crew with Fight gear to the tune of +11 Fight or so, and Atherton managed to get hold of an Alliance rifle which totally negated Jubal's massive Fight stat by Kosherizing it.
That was funny as hell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.