15 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: When to shuffle the event deck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Altropos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could have sworn I saw somewhere that you shuffled the event deck during each winter. Now I can't find it. Did I hallucinate that rule? I know you shuffle it when you add in a new event card, and I can't imagine you don't shuffle it between games, but do you shuffle it each winter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Arnold
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Needs more game time!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, each winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Altropos wrote:
I could have sworn I saw somewhere that you shuffled the event deck during each winter. Now I can't find it. Did I hallucinate that rule? I know you shuffle it when you add in a new event card, and I can't imagine you don't shuffle it between games, but do you shuffle it each winter?

P12, first step of the winter phase:

Quote:
Shuffle the event deck, including any cards revealed during the previous round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Altropos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thank you, thought I was losing my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Light spoiler

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You also shuffle the event deck when you add new card to it, which usually happens as a result of hitting milestones. In those cases (where this happens during a round, and NOT during winter, you shuffle the new event card into the existing deck, but DO NOT shuffle the discard pile back into the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
Light spoiler

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You also shuffle the event deck when you add new card to it, which usually happens as a result of hitting milestones. In those cases (where this happens during a round, and NOT during winter, you shuffle the new event card into the existing deck, but DO NOT shuffle the discard pile back into the deck.

I'm glad you said this, because I was under the impression that there was no discard pile; that you simply dismiss the event card to the bottom of the event deck. In fact, step 3 of a non winter round says to place the card on the bottom (p. 12), meaning you would shuffle that card, too, whenever you earned a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the rules do state (page 12, "3. Resolve the Event Card") that at the end of the turn, you "dismiss it [the current turn's event] to the bottom of the event deck". As a result, any effect that causes you to shuffle the deck during a year would also include events from earlier in the year, making it possible for them to occur again.

Note that the rules also note the definition of Dismiss in the terminology section:
SeaFall, p.22 wrote:
Dismiss: Return a card to the bottom of its card deck. If more than one card is dismissed at once, the player dismissing them chooses the order. This is largely an irrelevant choice but it is written here because it will be very important to a few people and I’ll hear about it if I don’t.

So apparently, you will hear about it if you do, too! JR or Rob, could you confirm that the p.12 rule above is incorrect, and should be errata'd to include an event discard pile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, as of the base rules, I'm not sure ANY of the decks have a discard pile, do they? Maybe your own exhausted advisors would be one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm gonna give this a little bump. I'm very curious about if this is errata or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is correct - there shouldn't be a discard pile for the events, they should go to the bottom of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
The rule is correct - there shouldn't be a discard pile for the events, they should go to the bottom of the deck.

Thank you, sir! So there IS that chance to end up with the same event twice in a year. Good to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dismiss: Return a card to the bottom of its card deck. If more than one card is dismissed at once, the player dismissing them chooses the order. This is largely an irrelevant choice but it is written here because it will be very important to a few people and I’ll hear about it if I don’t.

This rule is clear enough---not sure why there was doubt. I've found the research deck getting pretty thin as lots of people had lots of research cards in their treasure rooms, and I was going through them at a fast enough pace that I could expect to see the ones I put on the bottom of the pile again, in the same order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rule IS clear...which is why it was surprising when JR (a pretty trustworthy source) said not to shuffle cards that were in a nonexistent discard pile, and why we asked if the rule book had an errata about event cards being dismissed instead of maybe a discard pile. This posting is clear enough---not sure why there was condescension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No condescension from me.

I expect off-the-cuff responses from developers/designers to be wrong sometimes. When the rule is clear and someone remembers the rule wrong then just point out he forgot, it's not a big deal or surprising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
No condescension from me.

I expect off-the-cuff responses from developers/designers to be wrong sometimes. When the rule is clear and someone remembers the rule wrong then just point out he forgot, it's not a big deal or surprising.

Yep. My bad y'all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.