1 , 2  Next »   | 

Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Betty - another take rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So, one of the earliest batches of customs I did was the crew of The Betty, a prototype version of our Big Damn Heroes from ALIEN: RESURRECTION.

I'm not sure where these guys are going to wind up. They may be part of THE BLACK MARKET, or they may be a Ship Pack.

Two different possible versions of Annalee Call:

Distephano isn't a member of the crew, but he's a key ally in the movie, and also easy enough to stat:

These two scum buckets are the first of what I'm considering as a possible new keyword "COMPANY," which would represent folks generally working for the villainous, faceless bad organizations (from Weyland-Yutani to Blue Sun):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Bocook
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
As soon as I saw Johner, I thought, "What if he could get disgruntled more than once and not bail?" I mean, it is Ron Perlman, after all, so it's completely thematic. haha

I think I like the first version of Call better. And I think that's a good ability for any Synthetic to have.
How about getting a picture for Call of Wynona on Stranger Things, with the phone in her hand and all freaking out at the typewriter wall? hahah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Hillard, what do you define as a "botch"? Is it Misbehave Cards and Goal attempts or any Fight Test that is failed?

I like the first version of Call better as it adds more risk than the Disgruntle for the Hacking Rig (there are not that many situations where you need a Hacking Rig, so version 2 of Call at $0 cost for 2 Tech is a pretty good deal, given it will always be a Player's choice to Disgruntle her).

I'd also suggest changing the word "dies" to "Killed". Or simply say "1-3 Remove from Play". No need to mention that she was killed/died (she could just have been damaged and no longer functions until repaired).

I presume you will also produce a number of generic "Company" Crew as otherwise Wren's bonus Neg Skill would never come into play! This would also be an issue if you make this a ship pack as there are only 2 Company Crew here.

Is Gediman's ability to remove Disgruntled supposed to be only for himself, or any/all of the player's other Disgruntled Crew as well? The current words are a bit vague.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Elgyn is solid.

Hillard is a little busy, and I'm wondering the same thing about which weapons tests are applicable.

Christie is solid.

Vriess could bring up an odd thematic situation if you use the cortex uplink, as it requires a deal action to use. Not sure how Vriess could be worded to remove this ambiguity.

Johner is a refreshingly simple character, yet still completely unique among all other crew so far. I hope you keep him just as he is.

Call's version 1 fits better for a synthetic character. Version 2 requires some creative thematic interpretation. And that $0 cost is too good to be true for a character offering 2 skills and potentially 2 keywords.

Distephano, I like. Again, he's refreshingly simple. But do you really want to add another avenue for avoiding Harken jobs? He even feels thematic as is, but the "solid with Harken" crew and gear have already disrupted the game mechanics.

Wren, I don't have much of an opinion on, as his ability is dependent upon the "company" keyword. I'm personally not excited about there being another group keyword added to the game, especially since it's potential is limited by the fact that it currently won't assist you beyond other crew with that group keyword.

Gediman is interesting even without the group keyword. He's creepy even. But that fits. I think he's solid.

And my vote would be for this to be developed as a ship pack. The black market is otherwise filled with Firefly-based material isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For Hillard: I don't think you Botch a Fighting test. You can Botch a Misbehave, or fail a test… remembering that some tests have three outcomes, so you might need to take that into account too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
motosada wrote:
As soon as I saw Johner, I thought, "What if he could get disgruntled more than once and not bail?" I mean, it is Ron Perlman, after all, so it's completely thematic. haha

I think I like the first version of Call better. And I think that's a good ability for any Synthetic to have.
How about getting a picture for Call of Wynona on Stranger Things, with the phone in her hand and all freaking out at the typewriter wall? hahah

I was pretty happy to settle on a version of Johner that has an interesting kick but could also work well with Elgyn.

I'm tallying what folks think of the different versions of Call. More thoughts as folks respond.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dalek1 wrote:
For Hillard, what do you define as a "botch"? Is it Misbehave Cards and Goal attempts or any Fight Test that is failed?

I would characterize it as any time the result is a Botch.

Dalek1 wrote:
I like the first version of Call better as it adds more risk than the Disgruntle for the Hacking Rig (there are not that many situations where you need a Hacking Rig, so version 2 of Call at $0 cost for 2 Tech is a pretty good deal, given it will always be a Player's choice to Disgruntle her).

What do you mean about the first version adding more risk? It actually reduces risk, because there's a 50/50 chance that Call can be "Killed" and recover.

With respect to Version 2, I completely agree that $0 is a pretty good deal, but remember that she's Moral, Wanted AND Synthetic (which is a downside on it's own). The way, I see it, those three elements essentially balance Mechanic and 2 Tech, so in a sense, her cost comes down to the special ability.

I'm not sold on the $0-cost/Hacking Rig version, but I do kinda like the idea of Disgruntled and how it plays into the theme.

Dalek1 wrote:
I'd also suggest changing the word "dies" to "Killed". Or simply say "1-3 Remove from Play". No need to mention that she was killed/died (she could just have been damaged and no longer functions until repaired).

Probably true. I think I picked the language up from the Alliance Armor.

Dalek1 wrote:
I presume you will also produce a number of generic "Company" Crew as otherwise Wren's bonus Neg Skill would never come into play! This would also be an issue if you make this a ship pack as there are only 2 Company Crew here.

Yes, in theory, there would be more Company folk at some point. Mathias, Burke, definitely others, although I'm not sure who.

Dalek1 wrote:
Is Gediman's ability to remove Disgruntled supposed to be only for himself, or any/all of the player's other Disgruntled Crew as well? The current words are a bit vague.

Just him. I can probably rephrase it pretty easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
I think Elgyn is solid.

Hillard is a little busy, and I'm wondering the same thing about which weapons tests are applicable.

Christie is solid.

Vriess could bring up an odd thematic situation if you use the cortex uplink, as it requires a deal action to use. Not sure how Vriess could be worded to remove this ambiguity.

I might just leave him as is. It comes up so rarely, maybe he's just getting the Part delivered!

dbolyard wrote:
Johner is a refreshingly simple character, yet still completely unique among all other crew so far. I hope you keep him just as he is.

The original version was +TWO Fight, not one, but I think that may be overkill.

dbolyard wrote:
Call's version 1 fits better for a synthetic character. Version 2 requires some creative thematic interpretation.

Well, I recently watched the movie and read the novel, and Call really doesn't want to use her internal model. She gets very upset about it, because it makes her feel less human, but she does it because she must to save the survivors.

dbolyard wrote:
And that $0 cost is too good to be true for a character offering 2 skills and potentially 2 keywords.

You mean like Shepherd Book?

Seriously, though, my thinking was that Moral, Wanted and Synthetic are all negatives, so that's a net -300. 2 Tech + Mechanic = +300, balancing it out.

Looking at the abilities, I would consider Disgruntling to count as a Keyword as a neutral ability, while HACKING RIG is +100 and the ability to recover from being Killed is another +100.

dbolyard wrote:
Distephano, I like. Again, he's refreshingly simple. But do you really want to add another avenue for avoiding Harken jobs? He even feels thematic as is, but the "solid with Harken" crew and gear have already disrupted the game mechanics.

One of the things I like to do is, as we add more cards, and cards that offer some of the same options as before, possibly in a slightly different way. I think the ratio of "solid with Harken" to overall Osiris cards would remain pretty much the same.

dbolyard wrote:
Wren, I don't have much of an opinion on, as his ability is dependent upon the "company" keyword. I'm personally not excited about there being another group keyword added to the game, especially since it's potential is limited by the fact that it currently won't assist you beyond other crew with that group keyword.

As noted, if I go with Company, more would be on the way eventually.

dbolyard wrote:
Gediman is interesting even without the group keyword. He's creepy even. But that fits. I think he's solid.

Cool. I was trying to figure out how to represent his creepiness. Glad I got there!

dbolyard wrote:
And my vote would be for this to be developed as a ship pack. The black market is otherwise filled with Firefly-based material isn't it?

It's actually mostly RIDDICK and some new stuff like the Tongs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Stratford
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Dalek1 wrote:

What do you mean about the first version adding more risk? It actually reduces risk, because there's a 50/50 chance that Call can be "Killed" and recover.
Reading what I wrote again I asked myself the same question! I really don't know what was running through my mind when I wrote that shake I do still like version 1 better though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Dalek1 wrote:

OK, I think I might phrase that as "any time a Misbehave is Botched after a Fighting test" or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
gwek wrote:
Dalek1 wrote:

OK, I think I might phrase that as "any time a Misbehave is Botched after a Fighting test" or something like that.

Although the rules literally refer to Misbehaves being Botched, I'm not sure that I agree that's the way things function in the game. Although the card may result in a Botch, it's specifically from the failed skill test. Similarly, such tests can occur in other circumstances, most notably Goals.

I don't want to it specifically to Misbehaves (that's not the intent), but perhaps "When you Botch as a result of a [FIGHT] test..."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that's what I'm saying. If you meet say:

Scrapper Ambush [Option 1: Slip the Net: Tech 5; 1-4 Discard 1 Ship Upgrade. Full Stop. 5+ Keep Flying.] [Option 2: Take 'em Head On!: Fight 9 Salvage Op; 1-8 Kill a Crew. Full Stop. 9+ Take $500 and 2 Parts. Full Stop.]

and you go for option 2 and roll a total of 1-8, there's nothing in the rules to say that that is a Botch - it's a failed skill test, nothing more. Per the rules, Botching only happens on Misbehaves and certain Goal attempts. So if you mean "every time you get less than the best outcome on a [FIGHT] test", well, that's what it should say.

ETA: I don't mind what the actual rules are, I'm just finding their expression ambiguous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elgyn: Just when I think we are running low on new Leader abilities gwek comes through with something novel and thematic. I like him, and Wanted crew need a little more incentive to hire now that the Operative is floating around.

Hillard: The wording of her first ability is a little awkward, but overall I like where you are going with her.

Christie: Perfect. I should have used that for Jack Tarot when I was playing with my Atomic Robo "expansion."

Vriess: I like the Mercs with
in this set. So far as weirdness with his ability and the Cortex Uplink, I would just handle it the same way as selling Cargo/Contraband while Dealing.

Johner: Reminds me of some of the themes that I played with in my Atomic Robo stuff, so obviously I like it.

Call: What are the drawbacks you are building in to the Synthetic Keyword? I will withhold an opinions on her until I hear back on that.

Distephano: Sure, why not.

Wren: I'm not terribly excited about another "group" keyword. If they were mostly in locations where you don't find Hill Folk, Mudders, or Mercs, I could warm up to them. I would also make them more like Mercs than Hill Folk, meaning that each of them would be useful crew in there own right with Wren getting a bump for collecting them (ala Head Goon) rather than weaker crew with a counting bonus like Hill Folk.

Gediman: That dude just ain't right. I would change the text to "Remove Disgruntled from Gediman..." just to clarify things, but otherwise I like him.

Edit: There is also a typo on Viess. Your text says Contract instead of Contact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Well, that's what I'm saying. If you meet say:

Scrapper Ambush [Option 1: Slip the Net: Tech 5; 1-4 Discard 1 Ship Upgrade. Full Stop. 5+ Keep Flying.] [Option 2: Take 'em Head On!: Fight 9 Salvage Op; 1-8 Kill a Crew. Full Stop. 9+ Take $500 and 2 Parts. Full Stop.]

and you go for option 2 and roll a total of 1-8, there's nothing in the rules to say that that is a Botch - it's a failed skill test, nothing more. Per the rules, Botching only happens on Misbehaves and certain Goal attempts. So if you mean "every time you get less than the best outcome on a [FIGHT] test", well, that's what it should say.

ETA: I don't mind what the actual rules are, I'm just finding their expression ambiguous.

No Botch here, so no effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
turambur wrote:
Elgyn: Just when I think we are running low on new Leader abilities gwek comes through with something novel and thematic. I like him, and Wanted crew need a little more incentive to hire now that the Operative is floating around.

I agree re: Wanted Crew. They're no so troublesome that I don't even touch them when playing!

With Elgyn, and some of my other recent leaders (eg, from the Black Market), I've tried to play with theme a bit to come up with some interesting variations. I'm glad Elgyn seems to be well-received! I was a little on the fence about this newest version of it.

turambur wrote:
Hillard: The wording of her first ability is a little awkward, but overall I like where you are going with her.

Definite theme here. I need to clarify better.

turambur wrote:
Christie: Perfect. I should have used that for Jack Tarot when I was playing with my Atomic Robo "expansion."

Thanks! With respect to your Atomic Robo stuff, in retrospect, I do think some of this has been influenced by your work (if I recall correctly, I think you were working on that at around the time I was working on an earlier round of this crew), so thanks!

turambur wrote:
in this set. So far as weirdness with his ability and the Cortex Uplink, I would just handle it the same way as selling Cargo/Contraband while Dealing.

Do you think that requires additional phrasing?

On these guys being Mercs: Although there's a clear focus in the game on Mercs having only Fight (with a smattering of conditional Talk), I think we've discussed that, when possible, I like to try to play with themes for crews or groups of characters. Call is the odd duck here, but (in the novel at least) there's clear implication that this crew has been a merc crew working together for quite some time (if we squint and put them in the 'Verse, I would assume they were a mercenary company during the war).

In this case, I think the "Merc + SOMETHING" of Vriess, Hillard, and Christie helps distinguish them, while also making them feel like they "belong" with Hillard (in the same way that the design of Sash, the Walden, Jesse and Billy works).

turambur wrote:
Johner: Reminds me of some of the themes that I played with in my Atomic Robo stuff, so obviously I like it.

As noted, if I stole anything, thanks!

turambur wrote:
Call: What are the drawbacks you are building in to the Synthetic Keyword? I will withhold an opinions on her until I hear back on that.

Here's the card for the current version of Synthetic. Not quite as bad as Moral or Wanted (or "Devout"), but definitely a drawback.

turambur wrote:
Distephano: Sure, why not.

Right? Just an easy card.

turambur wrote:
Wren: I'm not terribly excited about another "group" keyword. If they were mostly in locations where you don't find Hill Folk, Mudders, or Mercs, I could warm up to them. I would also make them more like Mercs than Hill Folk, meaning that each of them would be useful crew in there own right with Wren getting a bump for collecting them (ala Head Goon) rather than weaker crew with a counting bonus like Hill Folk.

That's the intent, in general. I see the focal areas as Osiris, and possibly Meridian (given the implication that Blue Sun - the organization - has strong influence that way).

Most would be Medics or Grifters, with a focus on Tech and Talk, appropriately. Many - but not all - would be Ruthless. In a sense, I see them almost like Lawmen, where it would probably be about two-thirds "named" folk, one third low-end generics. Certainly, most of the named ones would have some ability of their own, even beyond the keyword (which is balanced by Ruthless).

turambur wrote:
Gediman: That due just ain't right. I would change the text to "Remove Disgruntled from Gediman..." just to clarify things, but otherwise I like him.

Again, a definite theme on the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
badge
Ten percent of nothing is, let me do the math here, nothing into nothing, carry the nothin'...
mbmbmbmbmb
Belief you meant your flavor text to read The 'Verse is filled with wonderous technology?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
Thanks! With respect to your Atomic Robo stuff, in retrospect, I do think some of this has been influenced by your work (if I recall correctly, I think you were working on that at around the time I was working on an earlier round of this crew), so thanks!

Feel free to plunder those designs as you will. As I said at the time, they were mostly just a thought experiment with no real designs of being "finished". In all honesty, the characters and themes of Atomic Robo don't fit into the 'Verse very well and are better off not being printed.

gwek wrote:
turambur wrote:

Do you think that requires additional phrasing?

I would have to look up how (or if) the Cortex Uplink is worded and addressed in the rules and FAQ to give any more than I have; and I just don't have the energy to do that right now.

gwek wrote:
turambur wrote:

Here's the card for the current version of Synthetic. Not quite as bad as Moral or Wanted (or "Devout"), but definitely a drawback.

That's pretty tough to evaluate. None of those are bad enough to be worth the effort by themselves, but all of them being wrapped into a single Keyword is tricky. They are mostly a liability in PvP situations, which rarely come up in my experience. I think I would replace Total Shutdown with something that would come up more often, but I don't have any suggestions at the moment.

gwek wrote:
turambur wrote:

That's the intent, in general. I see the focal areas as Osiris, and possibly Meridian (given the implication that Blue Sun - the organization - has strong influence that way).

Most would be Medics or Grifters, with a focus on Tech and Talk, appropriately. Many - but not all - would be Ruthless. In a sense, I see them almost like Lawmen, where it would probably be about two-thirds "named" folk, one third low-end generics. Certainly, most of the named ones would have some ability of their own, even beyond the keyword (which is balanced by Ruthless).

turambur wrote:
Gediman: That due just ain't right. I would change the text to "Remove Disgruntled from Gediman..." just to clarify things, but otherwise I like him.

Again, a definite theme on the feedback.

Company as a Merc-type profession seems sound, and these two guys are solid Crew to start out. I would suggest a few copies of Gun Hand and Bandit riffs (with
instead of
) to get enough of these guys into circulation. You would have to adjust the Bandit ability to be less Piracy driven, maybe playing off of the themes of whatever set they are released with; but I think that a version of Expendable is fine for the Gun Hand version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
turambur wrote:

Really, I'd like to see a variant of An Interesting Day where if you have more Company Talk or Tech than non-Company you have problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Debler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools

Elgyn:
I'm digging the concept! The only catch is that he seems like his best bet is to just lose crew, or at least walk around with them disgruntled all the time. I'd want to see him be an Ace for "Vote of No Confidence" too, since his natural state would make that one Misbehave a pain for him.

Hillard:
Loving the idea here! Wordy, but I think it is still elegant and logical.

Christie:
Very entertaining! I like the concept!

Vriess:
Again, liking the direction here! This seems like the sort of thing he'd do.

Johner:
I wonder if +1 Fighting is enough; I kind of think +2 Fighting myself.

Call:
I REALLY like the $0 version, since she is not happy with being a Hacking Rig, kind of has this "why is she hanging out with us" vibe, and goes with the Disgruntled theme for the crew.

Distephano:
Just a cool concept. Definitely worth having in the crew.

Wren:
Not a bad idea, especially the Company keyword. I can see Burke fitting right in with that Keyword too, maybe even the Hands-of-Blue guys at some point. I kind of wonder if he could be a potential Leader instead....

Gediman:
Cool concept! He feels a bit pricey to me, but maybe I've just gotten spoiled with guys like Time Bomb.

I'd also love to see some of the other Company technicians in the crew, maybe Purvis (the miner who got killed; maybe he's a Mudder even!). part of me would also love to see Ripley 08 there too -- though I wonder if she breaks out of Firefly too much in the end.

I can see having the Betty either independently or as part of the Black Market. I'd just really like to see them in the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hearing what SYNTHETIC brings to the table + her motivation, then I prefer the second version of Call.

And since the Black Market is a mutt of backdrops, then you may as well chuck these in there too. But a ship card is obviously a must!

I can't imagine Johner getting +2 fight when disgruntled. That's definitely over the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
turambur wrote:
That's pretty tough to evaluate. None of those are bad enough to be worth the effort by themselves, but all of them being wrapped into a single Keyword is tricky. They are mostly a liability in PvP situations, which rarely come up in my experience. I think I would replace Total Shutdown with something that would come up more often, but I don't have any suggestions at the moment.

I'm open to ideas!

To provide some context, the current definition for Synthetic came from the discussion thread re: Killjoys/Dark Matter, which includes (in theory) an item that can temporarily shut down Tech, including Synthetics.

I agree that Synthetic is not a drawback to quite the extent of Moral or especially Wanted, but the inability to benefit from Medic is not nothing (although I suppose it won't come up too often).

turambur wrote:
Company as a Merc-type profession seems sound, and these two guys are solid Crew to start out. I would suggest a few copies of Gun Hand and Bandit riffs (with
instead of
) to get enough of these guys into circulation. You would have to adjust the Bandit ability to be less Piracy driven, maybe playing off of the themes of whatever set they are released with; but I think that a version of Expendable is fine for the Gun Hand version.

I suspect the overall grouping might look like this:

- Wren
- Gediman
- Mathias (2 Tech, Medic... not sure what else)
- Burke (2 Talk, Grifter, Ruthless, probably an ability that lets you sacrifice Crew for a bonus)
- Company Man x2 (1 Talk, Grifter, maybe Ruthless, maybe Expendable)
- Corp Scientist x2 (1 Tech, Medic, maybe Ruthless, maybe some sort of "mad scientist" ability where you can sacrifices Passengers/Fugitives as a bonus)

I'd actually like to add another 1-2 beyond that, but I'm drawing a blank, although I suspect there may be some folks from KILLJOYS or DARK MATTER that might fit the role. Or maybe I need to watch PROMETHEUS again. Ugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
gwek wrote:
turambur wrote:

Really, I'd like to see a variant of An Interesting Day where if you have more Company Talk or Tech than non-Company you have problems.

That would definitely be cool. If I add more Misbehaves, perhaps a "Hidden Agenda" (based on the general tone of Burke, Wren, Gediman, etc) card is in order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Martyr of the Cause wrote:

Elgyn:
I'm digging the concept! The only catch is that he seems like his best bet is to just lose crew, or at least walk around with them disgruntled all the time. I'd want to see him be an Ace for "Vote of No Confidence" too, since his natural state would make that one Misbehave a pain for him.

My original intention actually WAS to add Vote of No Confidence, but the layout looked too crowded, and then I started to think that it might be overkill. I was a little nervous, to be honest, because he's so different from other leaders in dynamic, so I decided to stay conservative.

Vriess:
Again, liking the direction here! This seems like the sort of thing he'd do.

He's been a tough one to pin down because the obvious choice seems like focusing on his wheelchair or perhaps the concealed weapons included therein. But when I went back and re-watched the movie, I was entertained by him rolling through the military storage room and picking up what he wanted. In the flick, I think it's actually ammo, but a Part seemed the easiest thing. In a sense, he's sort of like Holder now.

Call:
I REALLY like the $0 version, since she is not happy with being a Hacking Rig, kind of has this "why is she hanging out with us" vibe, and goes with the Disgruntled theme for the crew.

Really tough to decide which is the best way to go! I have a feeling that's going to be one of the last things to fall into place.

Wren:
Not a bad idea, especially the Company keyword. I can see Burke fitting right in with that Keyword too, maybe even the Hands-of-Blue guys at some point. I kind of wonder if he could be a potential Leader instead....

You may be right about Wren having some leadership potential. He is definitely the Big Bad Person in ALIEN: RESURRECTION even though I think Burke seals the show as most memorable human protagonist (but he's definitely not a Leader).

Gediman:
Cool concept! He feels a bit pricey to me, but maybe I've just gotten spoiled with guys like Time Bomb.

My thinking is Medic (100), Company (100), Tech (100), Ruthless (-100), special ability (-0-). I may be overvaluing Company, but he's sort of a dark version of Med Staff.

I'd also love to see some of the other Company technicians in the crew, maybe Purvis (the miner who got killed; maybe he's a Mudder even!). part of me would also love to see Ripley 08 there too -- though I wonder if she breaks out of Firefly too much in the end.

I DID think about doing Purvis (probably 1 Tech, Mudder, some negative ability, 0 cost) but sort of forgot about him.

Ripley was in the original batch of crew. I called her "Eight" and sort of stepped sideways by calling her a "Renegade Reader." If I do her now, it would almost certainly be as a Leader, but I'm not sure what I would do with her - maybe Moral, Pilot, Fight/Tech/Tech? My first thought on special ability would be something that lets you Disgruntle her to Kill fewer Crew... but that's really just being a Leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Debler
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
gwek wrote:

My original intention actually WAS to add Vote of No Confidence, but the layout looked too crowded, and then I started to think that it might be overkill. I was a little nervous, to be honest, because he's so different from other leaders in dynamic, so I decided to stay conservative.

I'd definitely like to see the 2nd Ace added, just to keep his ability from being a big liability.

gwek wrote:

My thinking is Medic (100), Company (100), Tech (100), Ruthless (-100), special ability (-0-). I may be overvaluing Company, but he's sort of a dark version of Med Staff.

Your pricing scheme makes sense, but I think Company would be less valuable than Grifter or Soldier at this point. Perhaps if there was a fixed benefit of some sort to the keyword it could help compensate for being less usage of Company (since you just came up with the idea). Not sure what such a benefit would do ... probably something involving Disgruntling crew for extra money, maybe at the completion of a job?

gwek wrote:

I DID think about doing Purvis (probably 1 Tech, Mudder, some negative ability, 0 cost) but sort of forgot about him.

I just like his character. I agree low Tech and Mudder, and maybe he can't come on a job unless he is Disgruntled?

gwek wrote:

Ripley was in the original batch of crew. I called her "Eight" and sort of stepped sideways by calling her a "Renegade Reader." If I do her now, it would almost certainly be as a Leader, but I'm not sure what I would do with her - maybe Moral, Pilot, Fight/Tech/Tech? My first thought on special ability would be something that lets you Disgruntle her to Kill fewer Crew... but that's really just being a Leader.

I like the idea of "Eight". I'm not 100% sure Moral applies for her, or that she should be 2 Tech. I think she is more like 2 Fighting / 1 Tech, given she kicked more ass than teched things. Maybe she can become Disgruntled to count as an Ace?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.