$30.00
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevor, Don and Craig were in the middle of a three player game when I arrived, but they were nice enough to let me join in right away to start a 4 player game. Player order was myself, Craig, Trevor and Don. In a 4 player game, you only get 1 action in the first round. I decided to buy a $5 bed card. Trevor ended up with the card where new villagers come in available for use. I had tried that the first game, but realized you needed beds to make that work. Having one game under my belt, I decided to try a purely above building strategy. In other words, ignore the below buildings and not explore. I had thought the exploring was a bit random, but this game taught me otherwise.

Trevor was the only one exploring. Trevor was pointing out that the below buildings were generally cheaper than the above buildings. Trevor supplemented his strategy by getting two below beds (cheaper and more VPs).

I had bought the card that gives you a potion a turn, and after building a number of potions up, I decided to plan on getting the VP card that gives 2 VP per potion, which I was able to do since no one was interested in that card. I did do a couple of explore actions.
One of them knocked me back two in reputation but gave me a couple of goods. To add insult to injury, my final explore action knocked me back a further one in reputation to sit at -2. But I did stick with my above ground strategy, being able to also get the $11 card that gives 1 per cider/mushroom/fish/apple.

But Trevor could not be caught, as his exploring gave him 4 diverse goods, enough to get a good income. He was able to buy the card that gives 2 VP per character, and with 13 characters, he scored a huge bonus.

Scores:
Trevor 60 (8 advancement, 7 building, 7 reputation, 38 bonus cards),
Norbert 51 (17 advancement, 8 building, -2 reputation, 28 card bonus),
Craig 46 (15 advancement, 7 building, 2 reputation, 22 card bonus),
Don 35 (19 advancement, 8 building, 3 reputation, 5 card bonus)

Trevor's tableau with 5 beds, and 13 villagers and the card that gives 2 VP per villager. He had removed his 5 goods from his advancement track.

Game 2: Switching gears, I wanted to just play a game where I could accumulate as many goods as I could, maybe even hit the 6 VP good level. But to do that, some goods are only available below, so exploring would be required. Player order was Craig, Trevor, Don and myself. Going first, Craig bought the $4 card where when characters are recruited they don’t come in exhausted: Monkey see, monkey do. Don had bought the card that gives 2 rerolls, and going last, I bought the $2 card which gives one re-roll. If you’re going exploring, make sure you give yourself a chance.

In the first round, Don went exploring and got 2 mushrooms. He put one up for sale, and I bought one off him for $3. (In the post mortem, everyone figured this was too cheap, since I got a $1 increase in income, and I was pursuing a diversity in goods strategy). Trevor, Don and I got early beds, the below beds for $4, and 2 VP.

I continued to explore when I could, and my reroll die did save me from having to injure some workers, which was good since I only had 4 beds. Around midgame, I had to focus on paper and amethysts since I had my eye on that card that gives 2 VP each and worth 12 VP by itself. The paper I got above ground, the amethyst I got on round 6 below ground. That card cost me $17, of which I had to spend 2 workers to get $2 in the final round.

I wasn’t sure how the game was going to end, since Don bought the 2 VP per villager card, and was hiring villagers like crazy (he got up to 10 of them at game end). Trevor had a good setup with VP scoring buildings but no bonus building. So it was going to be close.

Scores:
Norbert 55 (23 advancement, 7 building, 3 reputation, 22 card bonus),
Don 50 (10 advancement, 7 building, 1 reputation, 32 card bonus),
Trevor 46 (16 advancement, 9 building, 6 reputation, 15 card bonus),
Craig 32 (18 advancement, 7 building, 1 reputation, 6 card bonus).

I am 2 goods shy of the maximum. There were no apples in this game, which was strange since apples are the most common.

We definitely want to get in more games. Now that we are more experienced, I would like to try to get a common item, like apples, then wait to put it in the advancement at the end to see if they could be worth 4 or 5 VP each. Admittedly that is hard to do as you have to forgo an income bump. Don had mentioned that as a possibility, so there are things we haven’t yet attempted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Indenture Forlife
msg tools
How in the world did Trevor acquire that many villagers?
That seems impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indenture wrote:
That seems impossible.

Trevor had the building when you recruit a new villager, the new villager does not get exhasuted. So near the end, to maximize his points, Trevor kept recruiting quill characters, so he could keep taking the recruit action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indenture wrote:
That seems impossible.

It's not impossible, but it is difficult.

Since Norbert stated that he recruited a bunch towards the end, I have to wonder if they were playing the refill villagers rule correct. It's not too hard to miss the rule that Villagers are only refilled in between rounds, and after any player recruits. The buildings refill in between players, but the villagers only refill in between rounds.

It gets expensive to recruit too many Villagers in the same round....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Indenture wrote:
That seems impossible.

Since Norbert stated that he recruited a bunch towards the end, I have to wonder if they were playing the refill villagers rule correct. It's not too hard to miss the rule that Villagers are only refilled in between rounds, and after any player recruits. The buildings refill in between players, but the villagers only refill in between rounds.

We only refilled the villagers after each round. At the end, I think Trevor was the only one motivated to get workers, so he could get one for $2, then $3, and $3. No one else was competing with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
Indenture wrote:
That seems impossible.

We only refilled the villagers after each round. At the end, I think Trevor was the only one motivated to get workers, so he could get one for $2, then $3, and $3. No one else was competing with him.

Is it correct that Trevor had 5 beds? Even with train to ready I'm surprised that he had enough actions to recruit that many. Or was he basically just recruiting and not doing anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
Indenture wrote:
That seems impossible.

Well...I bet that money would've been better spent on one of the big point buildings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sneakypete21 wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
Indenture wrote:
That seems impossible.

Is it correct that Trevor had 5 beds? Even with train to ready I'm surprised that he had enough actions to recruit that many. Or was he basically just recruiting and not doing anything else?

Yes, Trevor had 5 beds. When Trevor recruited, the new villager comes into play not exhausted, and could be sent to explore. Depending what he rolled for exploring, he had excess villagers to injure to meet the maximum conditions of the reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
Indenture wrote:
That seems impossible.

Well...I bet that money would've been better spent on one of the big point buildings...

Trevor did win with 60 pts, which is the highest we have seen so far in 3/4 player games. He was getting 2 VP per villager from that bonus card. Could he have gotten another bonus card by ignoring the extra villagers? Quite possibly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
Indenture wrote:
That seems impossible.

Trevor did win with 60 pts, which is the highest we have seen so far in 3/4 player games. He was getting 2 VP per villager from that bonus card. Could he have gotten another bonus card by ignoring the extra villagers? Quite possibly.

Actually, I posted that first thing after I woke up this morning. I somehow misread his score. With that card, it's likely worth it.

As for the premise of this session...our highest scores almost always involved a lot of exploring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.