Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to get some clarification on NPCs.

Merchant

1. When it respawns after death, does it:

A) Start its Trade Route from the beginning "Doravin V"

B) Start its Trade Route with the planet having the closest "Sell" Space?

C) Start with the Planet it was heading to when it died

Scoundrel

2. If Scoundrel kills the Merchant (let's say with 5k on it), does the Scoundrel:

A) Add 7k to his card... 1k Bounty (from Merchant) + 1k Bounty (from Scoundral Card) + 5k Credit on Merchant.

B) Add 2k to his card... 1k Bounty (from Merchant) + 1k Bounty (from Scoundral Card). Merchant credits are lost.

C) Add 6k to his card... 1k Bounty (It doesn't double dip) + 5k Credits on Merchant.

D) Add 1k to his card... 1k Bounty (Not double dipping) and Merchant Credits lost.

3. If the Scoundrel's target is on a Lawful Planet, does the Scoundrel:

A) Wait outside.

B) Attempt going through the Planetary Shields.

Enforcer

4. If the Enforcer's target is on an Outlaw Planet, does the Enforcer:

A) Wait outside

B) Enter and is Immune to Bounty

5. If the Enforcer kills an Innocent Ship (from a Lawful Ship attacking it but not killing it and then the Enforcer Attacks back and destroys Lawful Ship) is it:

A) Immune to Bounty

B) Can't occur because Enforce shouldn't have ever made the attack because it can not take actions that incur bounties.

My assumed answers...

1. B
2. B
3. A
4. B
5. A

Would be sweet to adopt the rule from the Solo Version of the game that player incur bounty from ATTACKING Lawful Ships... not DESTROYING. Would clear up #5 immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Some people have it retain its previous target regardless of distance. I have it go to the nearest planet on its trade route, and then continue on from there. I have never heard of anyone having it start the route from the beginning before.

2. C
3. A
4. B
5. A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Some people have it retain its previous target regardless of distance

Thank you. I'll add that Merchant one to the answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could send a PM to Cody, and he'll likely respond when he has the time. However there has never been an official response to #1, and no rules text is specific. You will have to choose what you're happiest for your game, and honestly that may be why Cody has never posted an official response to that question, because he's pretty happy about you doing it how you feel best about it.

Aside from #3, I'm pretty certain about the other answers. #3 is a little less clear, but I don't see any reason the Scoundrel would intentionally endanger himself. The Scoundrel will go through an Asteroid Field, or Planetary Border is the board layout has him trapped in an area, but I don't see why he would do the same just to make a normal attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the weekend and Ira has been pretty good at responding as of late. I'll give it a few days first.

I know they could leave it for players to choose but I feel that can happen anyway, even with an Offical ruling. I just want to be as accurate as possible when I teach it.

That's funny that #3 is less clear. I didn't think second that the Scoundrel would stay outside but I know other have, so I wanted to get that ruling for sure.

#2 is the one that really puzzles me. The merchant gives 1,000 bounty to it's killer and the Scoundrel gives itself a 1,000 Bounty for killing Lawful ships. I always figured 2k bounty. ANd then I didn't think Merchant money was given to the outlaw.. But I guess following the directions on the Merchant card... It would go to the killer. So, I'm starting to think it's "A" in that 7k is placed on the Scoundrel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
#2 is C, it's on page 16 NPC's:
"Death and Respawn: When NPCs are destroyed, the NPC Miniature is immediately removed from the game board and placed on the NPC Card. The player who destroyed the NPC takes any Credits and Fame Points specified in the green "On Kill" section of the NPC Card. If one NPC destroys another NPC, the Credits on the destroyed NPC's Card are taken and placed on the attacking NPC's Card."

Note that only Players deal with the "On Kill" line, and NPCs take any credits on their kills.

Quote:
That's funny that #3 is less clear. I didn't think second that the Scoundrel would stay outside but I know other have, so I wanted to get that ruling for sure.
After a refresher of page 16 it's pretty clear that the answer here is A, and that my previous analysis was accurate. It pretty clearly states that NPCs will avoid Planetary Borders. The note at the end for Unreachable Sectors only applies when the Scoundrel (or other NPC) is trapped and cannot reach other sectors by another means. There's no reason that he would run a planetary border just to make an attack. That would create a terrible strategy for players to taunt the Scoundrel into doing just that...

As for question #1, the reason I advocate "B" is two fold. First, under Death and Respawn it says: "NPC's also "forget" their most recent attacker when they are destroyed." It makes more sense that they would also "forget" which planet was next in line. Second, the Merchant spawns for the first time on the second planet, that's just placed, in its trade route. It then goes to the next planet in its route, which would be the other planet... or in effect it goes to the nearest planet in its route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zielinski
United States
Jenks
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calinor wrote:
#2 is C, it's on page 16 NPC's:
"Death and Respawn: When NPCs are destroyed, the NPC Miniature is immediately removed from the game board and placed on the NPC Card. The player who destroyed the NPC takes any Credits and Fame Points specified in the green "On Kill" section of the NPC Card. If one NPC destroys another NPC, the Credits on the destroyed NPC's Card are taken and placed on the attacking NPC's Card."

Note that only Players deal with the "On Kill" line, and NPCs take any credits on their kills.

Ahh... I see. So, the Answer is C because it would receive Bounty from the Scoundrel Card Instructions... but not the "On Kill" section of the Merchant.

Quote:
The note at the end for Unreachable Sectors

That's my exact reading of it. If the designers intended it to go through borders... it would say Unreachable TARGETS. Because it only says Sectors... I take it only when it gets trapped due to it randomly spawning in a "trapped" area.

Quote:
As for question #1, ... Second, the Merchant spawns for the first time on the second planet, that's just placed, in its trade route. It then goes to the next planet in its route, which would be the other planet... or in effect it goes to the nearest planet in its route.

I agree with B as well but for clarity... the Merchant spawns on the Spawn Point of the second planet to spawn (that isn't Loath or Smuggler's Den.) It would then start its route at that planet because it would be the closest. It would get the Merchant credits on turn 1 if not, for sure, on turn 2.

I don't think it would spawn on the second and head for the first. I think the confusion is in the wording "of the Trade Route." I think many read it as ... "what planet is listed second of the two planet that are out and since I've started at the first means it has to go to the other." I disagree with this anyway because it doesn't spawn at the second's sector "Sell" space. But rather... the Spawn Point. So, going to the closest "Sell" space should mean that it trades first with the planet it spawned at.

I take "of the Trade Route" as meaning "not Loath or Smuggler's Den."

Regardless... I think between us two we've hammered out some great points with NPC's movements. This will be great in my teaching of it! Thank you for bouncing ideas back and forth with me.

I still hope for a designer's confirmation that it is as you said in your first post:

1) B
2) C
3) A
4) B
5) A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.