Subject: Schengen country travel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slade
South Korea
Busan
Busan
flag msg tools
rule 4.5 states "A country connected to a Schengen symobl is Adjacent to all Schengen countries."

and

"when a Cell moves to a Schengen country connection symbol, the Jihadist side may place that Cell into any of the seven "SCHENGEN" country spaces that make up the Schengen area."

and rule 8.3.1 states "Travel between Adjacent countries... automatically succeeds."

so why do Jihadist Cells have to move into these Schengen symbols when they travel? as the Jihadist, can I not just travel, for example, from Canada to Morocco? what is the point of going to the Schengen symbol first? does it cost 2 actions to travel to Schengen country?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Yes... I still like 'em 32 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, yes, you can travel from Canada to Morocco in a single action (and it will automatically succeed). The Schengen symbols are just a convenient way of not having to draw a whole bunch of crazy adjacency lines that would make the map look like a spiderweb.

See the symbol as representing all Schengen countries, which are all valid destinations.

Edit : Been too long since I played, edited my answer according to the replies below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
KEEP America Great!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is not correct. Canada is adjacent to all Schengen countries, and all Schengen countries are adjacent to Morocco, but Canada is NOT adjacent to Morocco. Adjacency is not transitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
That is not correct. Canada is adjacent to all Schengen countries, and all Schengen countries are adjacent to Morocco, but Canada is NOT adjacent to Morocco. Adjacency is not transitive.

Exactly. Or put another way, it takes 2 moves to move from a bordering non-Schengen country to another bordering non-Schengen country through the Schengen network, passing through any one Schengen country on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slade
South Korea
Busan
Busan
flag msg tools
aha! ok, i think i get it. i move my Cell to the Schengen space, and then on the next Travel action i can move it to any country connected to Schengen space. so it does take 2 actions to move like this. is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robotco wrote:
aha! ok, i think i get it. i move my Cell to the Schengen space, and then on the next Travel action i can move it to any country connected to Schengen space. so it does take 2 actions to move like this. is this right?

If by "Schengen Space" you mean any of the Schengen countries, then yes. If you mean the actual Schengen Symbol on the board, then no. That is not a space, it is just an indicator of what countries the Schengen countries are adjacent too.
Your pieces must always be in a country (or on the Funding Track).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slade
South Korea
Busan
Busan
flag msg tools
wait what? then why does the rulebook specifically state that Cells move to the Schengen symbol?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slade
South Korea
Busan
Busan
flag msg tools
ok, after reading the glossary, i'm even more confused. the glossary clearly states, Schengen countries are 'all adjacent in the game.'

So yeah, I think travelling from Morocco to Canada is AOK, and i think the traveling to the 'Schengen symbol' is an error in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morocco and Canada are not adjacent. Neither is a Schengen country. If you travel from Morocco to Canada, you have to roll a 1 for success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robotco wrote:
wait what? then why does the rulebook specifically state that Cells move to the Schengen symbol?

Where does it say you move to the Schengen symbol. Can you quote that part of the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everything between now and the next game is just killing time
England
London
Agitation
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schengen countries are any of the dark blue ones with Schengen written on them (Scandinavia, Benelux, Germany, Eastern Europe, France, Italy, Spain). All of them are adjacent to each other, e.g. you could move from Spain to Eastern Europe without needing to roll for travel.
Also adjacent to Schengen countries are any country connected by the Schengen symbol, so moving from Scandinavia to Libya is considered adjacent travel.
Turkey is adjacent to the Schengen countries. Cananda is Adjacent to the Schengen countries. Canada is not adjacent to Turkey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
robotco wrote:
ok, after reading the glossary, i'm even more confused. the glossary clearly states, Schengen countries are 'all adjacent in the game.'

So yeah, I think travelling from Morocco to Canada is AOK, and i think the traveling to the 'Schengen symbol' is an error in the rulebook.

I think you are confused. The "Schengen Symbol" is not a space on the board, it's just an indicator of which countries count as Schengen countries.

Imagine there is a line from every Schengen country to every other Schengen country, and from every bordering country (e.g., Canada and Morocco) to every Schengen country. You still have to travel along the lines (so there is no line directly from Morocco to Canada). The "Schengen network" is a way of avoiding having to draw a huge graph on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slade
South Korea
Busan
Busan
flag msg tools
mkiefte wrote:
robotco wrote:

Where does it say you move to the Schengen symbol. Can you quote that part of the rulebook?

"rule 4.5:

A country connected to a Schengen symbol is Adjacent to all Schengen countries, and all Schengen countries are Adjacent to one another. (Thus, when a Cell moves to a Schengen connection symbol, the Jihadist side may place that Cell into any of the seven "SCHENGEN" country spaces that make up the Schengen area.)"

bold mine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slade
South Korea
Busan
Busan
flag msg tools
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
robotco wrote:

I think you are confused. The "Schengen Symbol" is not a space on the board, it's just an indicator of which countries count as Schengen countries.

Imagine there is a line from every Schengen country to every other Schengen country, and from every bordering country (e.g., Canada and Morocco) to every Schengen country. You still have to travel along the lines (so there is no line directly from Morocco to Canada). The "Schengen network" is a way of avoiding having to draw a huge graph on the board.

i am confused, because Schengen connection symbols very much are spaces on the board, and they're mentioned directly in the rules as places Cells move to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slade
South Korea
Busan
Busan
flag msg tools
Matchstickman wrote:
Schengen countries are any of the dark blue ones with Schengen written on them (Scandinavia, Benelux, Germany, Eastern Europe, France, Italy, Spain). All of them are adjacent to each other, e.g. you could move from Spain to Eastern Europe without needing to roll for travel.
Also adjacent to Schengen countries are any country connected by the Schengen symbol, so moving from Scandinavia to Libya is considered adjacent travel.
Turkey is adjacent to the Schengen countries. Cananda is Adjacent to the Schengen countries. Canada is not adjacent to Turkey.

oh i see what i'm missing. i didn't see the SCHENGEN in blue on the countries on the board. still doesn't make sense why the rules say Cells move to the Schengen symbol though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robotco wrote:
Matchstickman wrote:

oh i see what i'm missing. i didn't see the SCHENGEN in blue on the countries on the board. still doesn't make sense why the rules say Cells move to the Schengen symbol though...

Perhaps because the adjacency line from the origin goes to the Schengen symbol (to signify adjacency to the Schengen area). So you move the Cell to(wards) the Schengen symbol (along the adjacency line), but you don't place it there. You then place it in one of the Schengen countries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right - you "move" to the Schengen symbol, and then "place" (which is not a move) in any of the Schengen countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slade
South Korea
Busan
Busan
flag msg tools
Asyncritus wrote:
Right - you "move" to the Schengen symbol, and then "place" (which is not a move) in any of the Schengen countries.

thanks, that makes way more sense (and is probably what should have been written in the rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.