Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrea Greyskull
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Yesterday I played my first game of Mercs Recon.
I had a blast and also a few questions :-):
1) Is the special ability for each Mercs mandatory? Can I also use it during a B&C?(I would say yes and yes)
2) with the Spray and Pray Reserve action, do you fire to the mercs/employee that appear closer to you? I mean...if two mercs appear at the same time but at a different distance, you have to pick the closest one? (I would say yes);
3) When a Merc is inside a room can a secfor enter it? (I would say yes)
4) do disks enter in rooms where Mercs are in? (I would say no).
5) Analyst reactive action: he moves one area and then he attacks?

Could you help me please?

Thank you

Grey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndreaGreyskull wrote:
Hi,
Yesterday I played my first game of Mercs Recon.
I had a blast and also a few questions :-):
1) Is the special ability for each Mercs mandatory? Can I also use it during a B&C?(I would say yes and yes)

Mainly Mandatory , unless an alternative ability where you can choose to use normal or that one and Yes active in B&C.

AndreaGreyskull wrote:

2) with the Spray and Pray Reserve action, do you fire to the mercs/employee that appear closer to you? I mean...if two mercs appear at the same time but at a different distance, you have to pick the closest one? (I would say yes);

No It allows the MERCS to perform a SINGLE reaction attack if OpFor appear, are revealed, move into LoS and range or before they attack.
This includes as they activate or agents become opfor. Mercs online affected if in same tile they do not trigger a reaction attack.

The first opfor triggers it and as they are activated one at a time , there is no choice apart from between opfor of the same time and then which moves first.

AndreaGreyskull wrote:

3) When a Merc is inside a room can a secfor enter it? (I would say yes)

If it contains the closest highest priority target that it can move into range and attack, if capacity.

AndreaGreyskull wrote:

4) do disks enter in rooms where Mercs are in? (I would say no).
]
No as agents won't enter an area with Mercs , though not in the rules. They stop in LOS of Mercs and if they won't leave a room to enter an area with a Merc they won't do the reverse , I play this way but I could be wrong.

AndreaGreyskull wrote:

5) Analyst reactive action: he moves one area and then he attacks?

Non of the employees attack , they move according to the employee priority rules towards the closest
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1511155/unofficial-faq

Latest rules and official FAQ

http://megacongames.com/downloads/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Greyskull
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jerry,
I am coming back to points number:
3) What you say is slightly different with the unofficial rules:
"SecFor with no LoS to MERCS move via shortest route to engage with closest MERCS".
As the SecFor does not have LOS to Mercs which are in a room, he will engage with the closest merc (even if the merc in the room has higher priority: correct?)
To be honest I prefer yours:
If it contains the closest highest priority target that it can move into range and attack, if capacity

5) Sorry I meant the reserve action of the EU Inc. analyst. I do have trouble understanding it. it reads: move into an area and attack. What does it mean? shall I move 1 area and then attack?

I also need to understand the overthrow thing: when there are no burst then the "grenade" is overthrown? so what that happens? do I need to roll the dice to see if the grenade that was overthrown is actually hitting people (mercs and opfor alike) in the new area?

Please let me know.

This evening I am playing again.

Grey 

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndreaGreyskull wrote:
Hi Jerry,
I am coming back to points number:
3) What you say is slightly different with the unofficial rules:
"SecFor with no LoS to MERCS move via shortest route to engage with closest MERCS".
As the SecFor does not have LOS to Mercs which are in a room, he will engage with the closest merc (even if the merc in the room has higher priority: correct?)
To be honest I prefer yours:
If it contains the closest highest priority target that it can move into range and attack, if capacity

Not mine straight from rules , highest priority Merc it can engage (move and attack) or at least move towards.

The LOS is irrelevant as the place is full of cameras etc. my last post but no official reply. However previous replies assume LOS a red herring vin this case.

Starman54 wrote:
I know we have all discussed this before on MGC forum but I dont recall a definitive answer.

My understanding is they act in the following order.

1. Attack a Merc (Move if required)
2. Move towards Closest Merc in terms of Areas and Engangement Range.
3. Highest Priority MERC
4. Starting Priority MERC
5. All MERCS in ROOMS Standstill.

Normally 1, 3, 4 or 2,3,4,5

Unoff Faq Note LOS.
UNOF. FAQ wrote:
10. SECFOR MOVEMENT

Extra info re: SecFor Movement:
- SecFor with no LoS to MERCS move via shortest route to engage with closest MERCS

- All MERCS in rooms, so there are no targets SecFor can attack. No target to move to. SecFor stand still.

If this is the case should the Latest rules on Op For be changed from
Rule book 04.04 wrote:
OpFor select the target in range (weapon + movement) highest on the priority track. The OpFor attacks the highest priority target in range.

to
OpFor select the target in LOS and range (weapon + movement) highest on the priority track. The OpFor attacks the highest priority target in LOS and range.

When I look back at the recon rules forum I dont see amy Kenny reply for opfor mentioning LOS but some where closest ignores LOS. The question was asked but someone said it didnt need clarifying so I think MGC took that as consensus.

AndreaGreyskull wrote:

5) Sorry I meant the reserve action of the EU Inc. analyst. I do have trouble understanding it. it reads: move into an area and attack. What does it mean? shall I move 1 area and then attack?

I also need to understand the overthrow thing: when there are no burst then the "grenade" is overthrown? so what that happens? do I need to roll the dice to see if the grenade that was overthrown is actually hitting people (mercs and opfor alike) in the new area?

Please let me know.

This evening I am playing again.

Grey 

As the spike is a melee weapon he needs to move into the area to attack with it. As the player board states , the reserved action allows a single movement of one area, basically attack as they move adjacent.

Best as they come round a corner for lie in wait behind a door. As a reserve action can be used when the opfor activate you can go into reserve against can adjacent opfor before they attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Greyskull
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jerry,
Thanks a lot for your help.
Point 3 and 5 are clear now.

What about the overthrow rule?

Again; your help is the most appreciated

Grey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndreaGreyskull wrote:
Hi Jerry,
Thanks a lot for your help.
Point 3 and 5 are clear now.

What about the overthrow rule?

Again; your help is the most appreciated

Grey

Your welcome - I rarely play 5. as this will only happen if the opfor is in the best position for next turn as normally they will try to engage or move towards the highest priority MERC they can get closest to.

It is a grey area common sense should help.

Overthrow - this only occurs if you have no successes and drawing a straight line from thrower through the target ,to a square beyond the target which is not blocked by a wall or door. If it cant be overthrown then it hits the orginal target area.

Theme wise it flys past the target but then bounces back off a wall into the target area.

if target is in such an area do not bother throwing for hit , unless you want the narritive of it bouncing off th obstacle back onto the target.

Rules 4.0.4 Page 11 wrote:

If no successes (bursts) are present, the object goes one area further in the same direction as the throw, if possible. If the target area is enclosed by walls, the object cannot be overthrown so it automatically hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Greyskull
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerry,
Thank you!!!

So If I understand well: if the grenade is overthrown, it is not going to do nay damage to the new area is overthrown, correct?
Again point 3: (I am sorry, it is killing me):

If the Merc with the highest priority is in a Room and the secfor has range to it (I mean: movement + weapon range): can he enter the room (if there is still capacity left, of course) and shoot the merc in the room? I would say yes.

I love the game but it has a lot of grey areas....

Thanks

Grey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Greyskull
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerry,
I also understood how the overthrow thing works: ignore my question on it.

There is just the one on target selection for the secfor.

Let me know

Thanks

Grey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndreaGreyskull wrote:
Jerry,
Thank you!!!

So If I understand well: if the grenade is overthrown, it is not going to do nay damage to the new area is overthrown, correct?
Again point 3: (I am sorry, it is killing me):

If the Merc with the highest priority is in a Room and the secfor has range to it (I mean: movement + weapon range): can he enter the room (if there is still capacity left, of course) and shoot the merc in the room? I would say yes.

I love the game but it has a lot of grey areas....

Thanks

Grey

I agree as well there is nothing that says they cannot enter rooms. Only agents and Emplyees have restrictions concerning MERCs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Greyskull
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Jerry, you're the man!!

Now, if none of the mercs is at attack range, can the secfor move toward the closest (no priority involved, just being the closest) even if the closest mercs is inside a room? (still, even if the secfor enters the room he won't be on the same space (consider very big tiles of 3x3).
Does it make sense? to me yes... the secfor cannot attack anybody he will move towards the closest wherever the closest is....

Or even if none of the mercs is at attack range, does the secfor need to move to the merc who has the highest priority (even if he is the farthest)? To me this second option does not make much sense.

Let me know

Grey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndreaGreyskull wrote:
Thank you Jerry, you're the man!!

Now, if none of the mercs is at attack range, can the secfor move toward the closest (no priority involved, just being the closest) even if the closest mercs is inside a room? (still, even if the secfor enters the room he won't be on the same space (consider very big tiles of 3x3).
Does it make sense? to me yes... the secfor cannot attack anybody he will move towards the closest wherever the closest is....
r part
Or even if none of the mercs is at attack range, does the secfor need to move to the merc who has the highest priority (even if he is the farthest)? To me this second option does not make much sense.

Let me know

Grey

This has been discussed, they are directed towards the highest priority is the official ruling. As I said earlier before I do this, I work out which is the highest priority closest MERC they could reach if they had double movement. If none then they go towards Highest priority.

The theme being being they are genrating the most threat, remeber you can control tour priority and so it represents distraction, diversion on your part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.