Popular Tags: [View All]
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing the iOS version of eclipse when I found out that someone is wrong, either me or the software.

When you are ahead in a technology line you get a progressive discount that is applied to the price of a new tech you are researching.

Is there a rule other then the minimum price (the righ, lower value, that no discount can be applied further)?

Because I had 9 research in the pool and was researching something that the cost was 12/8, theorically I would have to pay only 8 because of a 4 discount I had but the game didn't allowed me to purchase it until I had exchanged materials for research and got to 12, when I bought and had absolutely no discount. Paying full 12.

Am I understanding the discount rule wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uploaded the images to imgur (bgg uploads of image from the iPad is terrible)

https://imgur.com/gallery/9NUXq

Look at the phase shield, when I go research shouldn't it be available to me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
The "max cost" that the game is showing you is actually the discounted cost. It just factors that in for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benkyo wrote:
The "max cost" that the game is showing you is actually the discounted cost. It just factors that in for you.

Yep. Phase shield costs 8/5 before discounts (you can see the actual prices on the bottom row in your screenshot)

Similarly, the full cost of the toplevel techs (like the one describedin the first post) is 16/8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dulkal wrote:
Benkyo wrote:

Yep. Phase shield costs 8/5 before discounts (you can see the actual prices on the bottom row in your screenshot)

Similarly, the full cost of the toplevel techs (like the one describedin the first post) is 16/8.

Oh, got it! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK, this is the only digital implementation where showing the discounted price has made things more confusing. Contrary to games like Dominion or Ascension* where it did work out. OTOH, those games have a WYSIWYG mentality, and this thread was hardly the 1st thread (and I doubt the last) to make this mistake.

* although in Ascension, I thought I could use an "acquire a card of 5 runes or less" on a 6-cost card after playing a card that makes it 1 cheaper to acquire. Nope... it's worded to refer to the printed cost, not the discounted cost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.