GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,824 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

War of the Ring: Warriors of Middle-earth» Forums » General

Subject: Treebeard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion includes Treebeard card but not the figure which I don't have. Am I missing much? I'm thinking about coloring one of the ents differently to represent the Treebeard figure. Is it OK to play with just 7 ents and 1 Treebeard? I assume that 8 ents are not really needed. Anyone with experience with actual gameplay can tell me if it's a good idea? Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azikin wrote:
The expansion includes Treebeard card but not the figure which I don't have. Am I missing much? I'm thinking about coloring one of the ents differently to represent the Treebeard figure. Is it OK to play with just 7 ents and 1 Treebeard? I assume that 8 ents are not really needed. Anyone with experience with actual gameplay can tell me if it's a good idea? Thank you.

You aren't missing much. Treebeard (being a promo) is naturally designed to have almost no impact on game balance, so the situations where he is useful are quite rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point, it is cheaper to buy a second expansion for another Ent than to buy the Treebeard promo, if you have to have him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or use an Ent from The Battles of the Third Age expansion from 1st edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, but that expansion comes with a Treebeard miniature and is significantly more expensive than just buying the Treebeard promo, which ruins the cost saving part of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not if you already own the expansion, which many do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Deus Vult
badge
Gloria in excelsis Deo
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have the promo, but I'd suggest marking one Ent through painting. Use a coin bellow it to mark when it's Treebeard, use without a coin otherwise. Or something. Treebeard rarely see any games anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Buy Treebeard from the Polish shop. You just want the figure - you have the card already in WOME so Polish text on card is not an issue at all.

www.ceneo.pl (search engine for multiple shops)
type "Drzewiec" (English: Treebeard) and navigate to the proper shop. 9.99PLN (currently 2.35EUR) is the lowest cost w/o shipment.
Sadly you need to translate the site to navigate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
improove wrote:
Buy Treebeard from the Polish shop. You just want the figure - you have the card already in WOME so Polish text on card is not an issue at all.

www.ceneo.pl (search engine for multiple shops)
type "Drzewiec" (English: Treebeard) and navigate to the proper shop. 9.99PLN (currently 2.35EUR) is the lowest cost w/o shipment.
Sadly you need to translate the site to navigate.

Nice idea, definitely worth a look, but for me the shipping to the UK costs 3x as much as the item does. And the cheapest shop doesn't even offer international shipping. So it comes to 45zl which is £10. Still quite a lot just for a mini!

Might be an option for some, but personally I'll pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just buy a third party treeman or dryad and proxy it in? Splintered Light minis makes a couple fantastic treemen http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/treeman.html. I was thinking of using this one: http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/treeman2.html or sculpting my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Flynn
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea, I have the promo of Treebeard and an alternative figure such as the one in the link would make for a more unique replacement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooles D
Canada
flag msg tools
Valar Morghulis
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my Warriors of Middle-Earth today and my copy included a Treebeard figure with the card, along with the Tidings Not Burdens mini-expansion?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azikin wrote:

You're barely missing anything at all if you decide to play with the Warriors of Middle-earth.

As we recently cleared up in the discussions, Treebeard's key usefulness prior to this game is in his strategic position for playing the Ent-related Event Cards, which require the presence of a Companion in Fangorn necessarily (thereby freeing your other Companions). That's pretty much mostly it; the fact that he adds a Combat Die when defending in Rohan and Fangorn isn't all that useful but is a nice bonus when you're struggling to keep Edoras for example, or have entered mid-late game a back-and-forth frontline war against the Shadow forces.

Including WoME removes from the game those cards, reducing his usefulness for playing Cards drastically. He can still be strategically used for those cards that require sacrificing a Companion; since he'd be a Lvl 2 character (after activation) that's two negated damage, which could potentially be pretty useful, at times.

While a Muster is obviously always necessary, I guess a Recruit that you have virtually no use for could be used to bring in Treebeard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McGee
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd like to know if anyone has experimented with a "house-rule" of using Treebeard as a companion for the purpose of holding down the Entwood, and if doing so threw off the game balance? I've read previous threads and I'm aware that he is technically not a Companion for this objective.

I'd like to use Treebeard for this purpose, but also don't want to throw off the balance of the game. I was thinking that perhaps a "proper" Companion must enter Fangorn in order to get the Ents into play, and that Treebeard could then take over from there and become the Companion that has to hold down the Entwood in order for the Ents to remain in play.

I've played it this way once, and the Shadow still won, so it may not have thrown off the game balance. Has anyone else experimented with Treebeard in this way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
I can only speculate personally - I don't really see why it would, but at the same time it seems a deliberate design decision that he cannot.

I definitely don't think he should be able to get the Ents into play on his own, that would be both unthematic and too easy. Definitely need another companion to get the Ents rolling.

In terms of power he seems comparable to the hobbits - they add a leadership anywhere, he adds 1 strength in limited regions. I suppose Treebeard is better in a siege whenever there are less than 5 armies. Not much in it, I think. Which suggests it wouldn't be too significant.

I think you might need the play testers to share their thoughts on that one though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YOU CAN use only Treebeard by himself to get the other Ents into play, unfortunately, it won't happen until the last minute of the game because it takes a while for the Ents to finish discussing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellbilly Hawk
msg tools
I am confused by this thread. If Treebeard is missing from my copy (he is), I shouldn't have to buy another copy or proxy some other piece. I will be contacting Ares and hopefully they will send me my missing piece in addition to replacements for the other pieces that are so screwed up that they are basically unusable. I am very disappointed with the quality of this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
HighTon wrote:
I am confused by this thread. If Treebeard is missing from my copy (he is), I shouldn't have to buy another copy or proxy some other piece. I will be contacting Ares and hopefully they will send me my missing piece in addition to replacements for the other pieces that are so screwed up that they are basically unusable. I am very disappointed with the quality of this game!

OK...

Firstly, Treebeard is just 1 card. There is no Treebeard mini in the box, and there isn't supposed to be. So if you don' have the Treebeard card, that's what you're missing. Check the rules book for the list of components and go by that.

Secondly, what do you mean by 'screwed up'? If they appear deformed then that is easily fixed with the 'hot water' treatment.

Get a large cup and fill with boiling water. Chuck the deformed minis in it and leave for a few seconds. Pull them out with tweezers or a fork and they should be mostly recovered to their correct shape. If not, you can repeat the process, or you can bend them easily into shape while they are still soft.

Some of mine were not standing straight, had bent arms/wings, or the bases were wobbly. This fixed them up no problem. It's unfortunately something that can just happen during the cooling process after production I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellbilly Hawk
msg tools
Orion3T wrote:
HighTon wrote:

OK...

Firstly, Treebeard is just 1 card. There is no Treebeard mini in the box, and there isn't supposed to be. So if you don' have the Treebeard card, that's what you're missing. Check the rules book for the list of components and go by that.

Secondly, what do you mean by 'screwed up'? If they appear deformed then that is easily fixed with the 'hot water' treatment.

Get a large cup and fill with boiling water. Chuck the deformed minis in it and leave for a few seconds. Pull them out with tweezers or a fork and they should be mostly recovered to their correct shape. If not, you can repeat the process, or you can bend them easily into shape while they are still soft.

Some of mine were not standing straight, had bent arms/wings, or the bases were wobbly. This fixed them up no problem. It's unfortunately something that can just happen during the cooling process after production I think.

Thanks. I miscounted my figures; I only counted 47. I did say I was confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.