Subject: Questions after first playthrough rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zed Lovecraft
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played "The Wrath on Anu", a mission for 2 players that takes place on the inn board. We had a lot of fun with the game but some questions came up during play:

1. Can the interrogate action be used while in cautious stance?

2. Can the interrogate action be re-rolled?

3. Do bar spaces of the inn count as elevated? If yes do I get the ranged attack bonus and can a character only move on it if it has the climb skill?

4. In this mission there is one reinforcement area on the street in front of the inn´s entrance. Does it cost one movement point to enter the inn, thus the inn´s outside wall counting as a border?

5. We were confused about if Conan´s armor die is always added to a guard roll. We played it that way that it´s added. Correct?

6. The english rules states to roll the armor die separately. Why shouldn´t it be rolled together in one roll with the dies from the guard action and the weapon?

7. Movement of overlord characters in a group: For example the tile of a guard group states 2 movement points. Are these points split between both figures or does each of them get 2 movement points?

8. Group limit: Are the the figures of a group in the setup diagram the maximum number of characters of a group or can more figures be added to the group beyond this through reinforcement?

9. Overlord events in this mission depend on how many priests were taken from the board. Does this stack (if 1 priest is gone, can OL also use the 0 priest event further?

10. When placing the priest markers during setup, the rules state to place them face down, but is the Overlord allowed to look of them beforehand and place them how he likes depending on the setup locations or should he shuffle them face down and then place them randomly without knowing were each number is?

11. OL movement benefit action: The rules say that "A unit can gain at most a number of extra movement points equal to the unit´s movement value during an activation."

If that unit already moved one space with the movement points from it´s units tile can it still get more than one movement point from the benefit action?

12. Can re-roll actions be used to force the other player to re-roll?

Thanks for any advise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Lovecraft
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonus question:

To win the game Conan has to leave the inn after the curse is broken. To which space does he have to move to leave the inn; out of the board?

Same question for all missions that need the heroes to flee, can someone please specify when a character does successfully flee (leave the board? does it cost one extra movement point?)

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Can the interrogate action be used while in cautious stance?

No, when a hero is in the cautious stance he can only defend himself and reroll. To interrogate you have to put 1 gem in the melee attack action.

2. Can the interrogate action be re-rolled?

No, no reroll allowed.

3. Do bar spaces of the inn count as elevated? If yes do I get the ranged attack bonus and can a character only move on it if it has the climb skill?

Yes for the bonus, but not sure you need the climb skill to climb on bar or tables....I'll check this.

4. In this mission there is one reinforcement area on the street in front of the inn´s entrance. Does it cost one movement point to enter the inn, thus the inn´s outside wall counting as a border?

Yes, we can see the area limit drawn at the door.

5. We were confused about if Conan´s armor die is always added to a guard roll. We played it that way that it´s added. Correct?

Yes.

6. The english rules states to roll the armor die separately. Why shouldn´t it be rolled together in one roll with the dies from the guard action and the weapon?

If you don't guard you roll only the armor bonus. If you guard, roll the number of dice allowed by you number of gems and roll the armor bonus at the same time.

7. Movement of overlord characters in a group: For example the tile of a guard group states 2 movement points. Are these points split between both figures or does each of them get 2 movement points?

No, the tile states the points for each miniature.

8. Group limit: Are the the figures of a group in the setup diagram the maximum number of characters of a group or can more figures be added to the group beyond this through reinforcement?

In this scenario you've got 2 soldier miniatures by tile. You cannot have more soldiers by tile but you can have a max of 4 tiles (with 2 soldiers each) with the reinforcements (as stated in the french ovelord book).

9. Overlord events in this mission depend on how many priests were taken from the board. Does this stack (if 1 priest is gone, can OL also use the 0 priest event further?

Yes, each dead priest brings a new availaible event.

10. When placing the priest markers during setup, the rules state to place them face down, but is the Overlord allowed to look of them beforehand and place them how he likes depending on the setup locations or should he shuffle them face down and then place them randomly without knowing were each number is?

No, the Overlord chooses the placement. No random placement.

11. OL movement benefit action: The rules say that "A unit can gain at most a number of extra movement points equal to the unit´s movement value during an activation."

If that unit already moved one space with the movement points from it´s units tile can it still get more than one movement point from the benefit action?

The benefit comes before you play a tile, or after you played a tile. You just have to choose the minis of a tile (already played or not) and move them with the 2 mp you just earned.

12. Can re-roll actions be used to force the other player to re-roll?

No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bonus question:

To win the game Conan has to leave the inn after the curse is broken. To which space does he have to move to leave the inn; out of the board?

Door entrance, then 1 mp to leave the board.

Same question for all missions that need the heroes to flee, can someone please specify when a character does successfully flee (leave the board? does it cost one extra movement point?)

One movement point to leave the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Lovecraft
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply. On question 1, the English rules says to move the gem to the fatigue zone. But now it's clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
By Crom !
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding question 1:
Just to sum up the difference's between the rules in english and french:

French: place 1 gem in close combat, no re-roll
English: place 1 gem in fatigue zone, roll not affected by hindering

EDIT: In all practicality, this is not a huge deal, but just really silly translation mistakes. I mean, it's not very complicated stuff to translate is it !?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Lovecraft
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's too bad. Good that a new English rulebook should come soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stenfisker wrote:
Regarding question 1:

EDIT: In all practicality, this is not a huge deal, but just really silly translation mistakes. I mean, it's not very complicated stuff to translate is it !?

Maybe the person that did the translation hadn't actually played the game?

Are there a lot of scenario-specific translation errors like this? If so, it would be cool if someone fluent in both languages started a thread collecting them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
By Crom !
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
stenfisker wrote:
Regarding question 1:

Maybe the person that did the translation hadn't actually played the game?

Are there a lot of scenario-specific translation errors like this? If so, it would be cool if someone fluent in both languages started a thread collecting them all.

Guess I kind of asked for this one...
The differences between the french and english scenario rules are very minor. The french version is generally more clear and has a bit more flavour text here and there, for instance in describing how to win in the Trapped Like Rats scenario.
Here are the ones I could find:

Hunting the Tigress:
Winning the game: + no Outer Dark Demon (omitted in french version)
Heroes: + 5 of Belit's guards (omitted in english, but on the map)
Special rules: Skuthus and Bossonian Archers cannot leap (both languages)

In the Heart of Darkness:
Heroes: + 2 of Belit's guards (omitted in english, but on the map)
Leaping from walls: + one cannot climb up the walls (omitted in english)

For all Ophir's Gold:
Leaping from walls: + one cannot climb up the walls (omitted in english)

Wrath of Anu:
Special Rules/Interrogation: no re-roll allowed, gem moved to melee (mistranslated in english to: this roll is not affected by hindering, move gem to fatigue)

Infernal Pursuit part 1:
Winning the Game: there is no limit to the amount of game-turns (somewhat vague in english)
Special rules/With me!: re-roll is allowed (omitted in english)

Infernal Pursuit part 2:
Winning the Game: there is no limit to the amount of game-turns (somewhat vague in english)
Special rules: Some of the Overlord's mentioned units cannot leap (both languages)

If someone wants to start a new thread, you have my blessings, by Crom !
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing that! I wasn't too worried about any mis-translations with the basic game rules, as I think I have a good handle on how it plays from some of the videos. The more scenario specific rules had me a little worried, though, as I imagine some things might wildly swing the balance.

Now I just have to wait to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx Sten. Nice job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deena Pilgrim
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashes001 wrote:

Yes, if you stand on the bar you have the elevated bonus to attack (close combat as well as ranged).
You do not need the "climb" capacity to climb on the bar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.