Subject: Crossover rules for Blood Rage monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, all. I have written crossover rules for using all the monsters from Blood Rage as neutrals in Cthulhu Wars. I personally think these rules look like great fun. (They are not playtested yet.)

Quote:
Midgard Serpent
Independent Terror

Pay 2 Doom and 2 Power to obtain this loyalty card, then place the Midgard Serpent on your faction card.

Combat: 4
Cost: 3
Count: 1

Ability: Encirling the World
Pre-Battle
In any Battle where you participate, you may move the Midgard Serpent to the Battle Area. After Combat Results and Post-Battle abilities have been resolved, return the Serpent to your faction card if it survives. (The Serpent may take Kill and Pain results as normal. Pains are usually quite inconsequential for it.)

(Note that the Serpent's combat-to-power ratio is high because it can neither Capture nor guard against Capture since it does not stay on the map.)

Quote:
Fenrir
Independent Terror

Pay 2 Doom and 2 Power to obtain this loyalty card, then place Fenrir at your Controlled Gate.

Combat: 3

Ability: Ragnarok
Action: Cost 0
Any players (including you) must eliminate 3 Terrors, Monsters or Cultists in Fenrir's Area if they have them (potentially including Fenrir himself).

Quote:
Frost Giant
Independent Terror

Pay 2 Doom and 2 Power to obtain this loyalty card, then place the Frost Giant at your Controlled Gate.

Cost: 4

Ability: Berserker Rage
Post-Battle
For each enemy Unit Killed in a Battle where the Frost Giant participates, gain 1 Power - to a maximum of 3 per Battle.

Quote:
Fire Giant
Independent Terror

Pay 2 Doom and 2 Power to obtain this loyalty card, then place the Fire Giant at your Controlled Gate.

Ability: Muspel Fire
Ongoing
Whenever the Fire Giant enters an Area (via Move, Pain or other means), select an enemy player. That player must eliminate a Cultist or Monster in the Area if he has any.

Quote:
Mountain Giant
Independent Terror

Pay 2 Doom and 2 Power to obtain this loyalty card, then place the Mountain Giant at your Controlled Gate.

Ability: Leadership
Ongoing
During Gather Power, gain 2 Power if the Mountain Giant is in play.

Quote:
Wolfman
Independent Monster

Pay 2 Doom to obtain this loyalty card, then place the Wolfman at your Controlled Gate.

Ability: Terrifying
Pre-Battle
Exempt all Cultists on both sides from the Battle. They cower in terror and take no further part in the Battle.

Quote:
Völur Witch
Independent Monster

Pay 1 Doom to obtain this loyalty card, then place the Völur Witch at your Controlled Gate.

Combat: 1
Cost: 2

Ability: Sanctuary
Post-Battle
In a Battle where the Völur Witch participates, you may turn up to 2 Kill results into Pains as long as you have enough Units to take all Pain results.

Quote:
Valkyrie
Independent Monster

Pay 2 Doom to obtain this loyalty card, then place the Valkyrie at your Controlled Gate.

Ability: Glorious Death
Post-Battle
In a Battle where the Valkyrie participates, if at least one Unit is eliminated from each side (including potentially the Valkyrie herself), gain one Elder Sign.

Quote:
Trolls
Independent Monster

Pay 2 Doom to obtain this loyalty card, then place either the Troll or the Mystic Troll at your Controlled Gate. Add the other to your pool.

Combat: 2 for Troll, 1 for Mystic Troll
Count: 1 Troll + 1 Mystic Troll

Troll Ability: Hideous
Ongoing
Whenever the Troll enters an Area (via Move, Pain or other means), all enemy players must move one Unit out of the Area to an adjacent Area not containing your Units if possible. (If not possible, nothing happens for that player.)

Mystic Troll Ability: Spiritual Communion
Ongoing
If you Summon Monsters to the Mystic Troll's Area, your Summon Action costs 1 less Power - to a minimum of 1 (unless the cost was already zero).
(If you are able to Summon multiple Monsters in one Action, you still only get a discount of 1 Power for the whole Action - e.g., Summon two Fungi from Yuggoth and a Ghoul for a total of 1 Power if you have Thousand Young. You need only place one of those Monsters in the Mystic Troll's Area.)

Quote:
Dwarf Chieftains
Independent Monsters

Pay 1 Doom to obtain this loyalty card, then place a Dwarf Chieftain at your Controlled Gate.

Cost: 0
Count: 2

Ability: The Little People
Ongoing
Dwarf Chieftains cost 0 to Summon.

Quote:
Soldiers of Hel
Independent Monsters

Pay 2 Doom to obtain this loyalty card. Do not place any Soldiers of Hel yet.

Cost: 2 (but see below)

Soldiers of Hel cannot be Summoned, nor can they be placed using abilities such as Desecrate nor Death From Below.

Ability: The Dead Outnumber the Living
Ongoing
Whenever one of your Monsters or Cultists is eliminated (Killed, Captured etc.), you may place a Soldier of Hel in the Area if you have any in your pool.

Quote:
Dark Elves
Independent Monsters

Pay 2 Doom to obtain this loyalty card, then place a Dark Elf at your Controlled Gate.

Ability: Assassination
Pre-Battle
If a Dark Elf participates in a Battle with an enemy Gate-Controlling Cultist, kill that Cultist.
(This does not work if the Cultist is exempted from the Battle, e.g. via Invisibility. It does not work if the Gate is Controlled by something other than a Cultist.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are very creative and I love the ideas!

Some of them seem pretty powerful, but I would rather test them out than offer blind advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
Awesome! I'm actually really happy to see something like this- since I have fallen out of love with Blood Rage, the idea of using the monsters in Cthulhu Wars makes having it feel less wasteful.

Thanks for the post, I'll actually be trying these out in our next game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please report back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Talae wrote:
These are very creative and I love the ideas!

Thanks! I've attempted to make their abilities match the spirit of Blood Rage abilities as closely as possible. My favourites of these abilities are Fenrir, the Midgard Serpent, Wolfman and Dark Elf.

diversionArchitect wrote:
Awesome! I'm actually really happy to see something like this- since I have fallen out of love with Blood Rage, the idea of using the monsters in Cthulhu Wars makes having it feel less wasteful.

Out of interest, why have you fallen out of love with Blood Rage? (Personally I have long been unhappy with BR. I find the gameplay too frantic and frustrating because there are never enough action points to do the things you really want - plus I feel it suffers from the "runaway leader" problem.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Rain
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I had written something up a bit ago for the Sea Serpent (that's not the same as the Midgard Serpent is it?). Not terribly innovative or anything, a mish-mash of some other things thrown together:

SEA SERPENT

Count 1 / Cost 4 / Combat 4

Pay 2 Doom to obtain this Loyalty Card, plus place the Sea Serpent at your Controlled Gate. Can only be Summoned to a Gate in an Ocean Area.

Savage Currents (Pre-Battle):
The enemy player immediately retreats one of his Monsters or Cultists in the Area, his choice.

Special: Sea Serpent can only move into Ocean Areas and cannot retreat into non-Ocean Areas. Sea Serpent has a Combat of 0 and cannot Capture Cultists while on non-Ocean Areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Appel
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
paddirn wrote:
I had written something up a bit ago for the Sea Serpent (that's not the same as the Midgard Serpent is it?).

It is the same miniature. I decided to interpret it as the Midgard Serpent instead of just a regular sea serpent.

Your version sounds quite underpowered. Being unable to move on land is a serious weakness. I wouldn't buy this monster.

(On a side note, I also find ships and sea serpents underpowered in the Blood Rage rules. I usually regret it when I invest in them.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
SpectrumDT wrote:
Out of interest, why have you fallen out of love with Blood Rage? (Personally I have long been unhappy with BR. I find the gameplay too frantic and frustrating because there are never enough action points to do the things you really want - plus I feel it suffers from the "runaway leader" problem.)

I often play my games with a rotating group of players. Blood Rage seems designed for a regular group that often plays together. The card combos are checks and balances that, without knowing what else is out there, feel like pulling the rug out from under someone who builds a strategy with what they see available to them.

I decidedly hate that kind of gameplay. It undermines planning, which is part of engine building and something I really enjoy in games. It seems very much at odds with itself as a result. A strategic draft, but one that requires full knowledge of what is out there to make informed decisions?

I would be fine if the strategies countered eachother in a more fun manner, but too many feel like "sorry you chose that strategy, try again next time". For a game as long as Blood Rage, that's not a lesson I want players to discover after it's too late to recover.

I won the last game we played by hate drafting battle cards that would kill all units but one- which was necessary because my whole strategy was around building up an army (horns). I didn't even enjoy the victory.

With perfect information games, like Cthulhu Wars, I don't think I'll ever go back to Blood Rage. Which sucks, because I was elated to get in as a late-late backer. I don't really want to play games where a loss can be due to not knowing someone could have a card that singlehandedly can put a nail in the coffin for a strategy you wanted to try out.

Learning from mistakes such as not understanding what spellbooks someone has gained in Cthulhu Wars, are either going to be less devastating (in my experience thus far) or due to taking a huge intentional risk betting on large numbers:

Example:
Yellow Sign deciding to charge in with the King in Yellow with all of his Zombies at Shub Niggurath alone and starting a fight. Black Goat rolled 7 kills (improbable but possible). But the end game was still close I think less than 10 point spread among all players, and all players said they had a fantastic time.

End result, if someone wants to play BloodRage, I'll always counter with Cthulhu Wars- and we'll have a much more enjoyable game.

And thats just with the base game and a proxied Sleeper Faction. I can't wait til the rest comes in from OS2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.