Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dunwich Horror monster surge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PapaBear Kempf
msg tools
Good Day! Please advise. When playing with the Dunwich Horror expansion, when there is a monster surge, 'a monster emerges from every open gate'. Once the monster limit is reached in Arkham, do the remaining monsters go to the outskirts?, or are they placed on open gates in Dunwich? (since monsters in Dunwich do not count against the monster limit) Can they be placed in Dunwich JUST to avoid raising the terror track? Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of. As per de FAQ:

When a monster surge occurs, the number of monsters
drawn and placed is now equal to the number of open
gates or the number of players, whichever is greater.
When placing monsters, they must be divided as evenly as
possible among the open gates, with no gate having more
monsters placed on it than the gate where the monster surge
occurred this turn. If there are more monsters to be placed
than allowed by the monster limit, the players should
decide where monsters will be placed. The players must
make this decision before monsters have been drawn from
the cup. If the players cannot agree where the monsters are
to be placed, the first player decides the placement.


Therefore, once you have added one per gate (if possible in Arkham), you couldn't just choose to put monster in Dunwich, if the gates there already have more monsters then those in Arkham.

For instance, say you have 5 open gates and have 1 open slot for monsters in Arkham and the situation is:

Wizard's Hill - 1 monster
Gardners' Place - 0 monster
Independence Square - 1 monster
Woods - 0 monster
Black Cave - 1 monster

The monster surge happened in Wizard's Hill. You will need to add 5 monsters (as you are, say, playing with 4 investigators, thus the number of open gates is higher).

You first add two, in the ones with zero monster.

Wizard's Hill - 1 monster
Gardners' Place - 1 monster
Independence Square - 1 monster
Woods - 1 monster
Black Cave - 1 monster

Then you add two more in Dunwich - because the monster surge happened in Wizard's Hill, it can have more monsters then the others at first, and in the "evenly as possible" will allow another in Gardners' Place.

Wizard's Hill - 2 monsters
Gardners' Place - 2 monsters
Independence Square - 1 monster
Woods - 1 monster
Black Cave - 1 monster

You still have one more to add. And it must go in Arkham, as you need to keep the amount of monster as even as possible. However, since the limit of monsters in Arkham was already met, this last monster is put in the Outskirts.

This made things clear?

Regards,
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PapaBear Kempf
msg tools
Absolutely. Thank You so much.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PapaBear Kempf
msg tools
Oops. Wait a minute, in your example, are you counting the 4 monsters in Dunwich towards the limit?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PapaBear1620 wrote:
Oops. Wait a minute, in your example, are you counting the 4 monsters in Dunwich towards the limit?


No.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tiagoVIP wrote:
Kind of. As per de FAQ:

When a monster surge occurs, the number of monsters
drawn and placed is now equal to the number of open
gates or the number of players, whichever is greater.
When placing monsters, they must be divided as evenly as
possible among the open gates, with no gate having more
monsters placed on it than the gate where the monster surge
occurred this turn.
If there are more monsters to be placed
than allowed by the monster limit, the players should
decide where monsters will be placed. The players must
make this decision before monsters have been drawn from
the cup. If the players cannot agree where the monsters are
to be placed, the first player decides the placement.


Therefore, once you have added one per gate (if possible in Arkham), you couldn't just choose to put monster in Dunwich, if the gates there already have more monsters then those in Arkham.


Are you sure about this? You seem to be reading the highlighted section as referring to "number of monsters that are on the gate in total" - I've always read it as "number of monsters placed as a result of this monster surge".

For your example, 5 gates and 5 monsters, I would always have to place 1 monster on each gate, even if one already had 5 on it, and the others 0.

I'm really struggling to read "they must be divided as evenly as possibly" with the "they" being "*all* the monsters on the board", not "the monsters you are placing"...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tim-pelican wrote:
tiagoVIP wrote:
Kind of. As per de FAQ:

When a monster surge occurs, the number of monsters
drawn and placed is now equal to the number of open
gates or the number of players, whichever is greater.
When placing monsters, they must be divided as evenly as
possible among the open gates, with no gate having more
monsters placed on it than the gate where the monster surge
occurred this turn.
If there are more monsters to be placed
than allowed by the monster limit, the players should
decide where monsters will be placed. The players must
make this decision before monsters have been drawn from
the cup. If the players cannot agree where the monsters are
to be placed, the first player decides the placement.


Therefore, once you have added one per gate (if possible in Arkham), you couldn't just choose to put monster in Dunwich, if the gates there already have more monsters then those in Arkham.


Are you sure about this? You seem to be reading the highlighted section as referring to "number of monsters that are on the gate in total" - I've always read it as "number of monsters placed as a result of this monster surge".

For your example, 5 gates and 5 monsters, I would always have to place 1 monster on each gate, even if one already had 5 on it, and the others 0.

I'm really struggling to read "they must be divided as evenly as possibly" with the "they" being "*all* the monsters on the board", not "the monsters you are placing"...


Your interpretation is correct Tim. Ignore any monsters that are already present when placing monsters from a surge.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.