Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So my wife seems to only like games where the main opjective is to destroy her opponent. Her favorite games in order are Survive, Nexus Ops, and King of Tokyo.

She loves to roll dice.

She hates abstracts, fiddlyness, and games that are asymmetrical.

Games that fell flat with her are Cyclades (combat wasn't at the forefront),Kemet (too many choices), Claustrophobia(asymmetrical), Dominion(themeless without direct conflict), and Smallworld(too repetitive) .

Must play well at 3-4 people. I don't think length of time is a concern unless there is considerable downtime.

Help!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bauknecht
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Have you considered getting her into wargaming? Games like Warmachine or Warhammer 40k sound exactly what your wife wants. There are some options for scenariuos with 3-4 players, although it definitely isn't something you can just play with friends casually...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Sleep with one eye open...

2. Check out Cry Havoc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Merchants & Marauders could be a perfect fit. It has lots of theme, plays best with 3 or 4 and has DICE! You may choose to play as a pirate or a trader, so she could always choose pirate and torment the other players and NPCs. The only (possible) downside is the playtime, expect about 1 hour per player and there can be some downtime between turns, but even when a player isn't taking a turn they are often involved (controlling NPCs in battle or being attacked by another player!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Sounds like my kind of player

This may be an acquired taste, but take a look at Titan. Loads of dice to roll (you may have to buy extras!), and the entire game is about building up your army and attacking meeple The main knock against Titan for me is downtime and the length of play, but if you're playing with only 3-4 and players are realistic about conceding unwinnable battles, this problem would be lessened greatly.

A game that I've had my eye on that she might also like is Risk: Europe. It's not like regular Risk! There's still dice rolling to resolve battles, but the command cards and light economic element give it more of a Euro feel. Plays 3-4.

She might also like the Commands & Colors battle system (C&C series, Battle Lore, Memoire '44, etc), but I believe that's more of a 2-player thing. I have personally only played C&C: Ancients, but I really liked it. The game is all about tactical maneuvering via cards and battling via dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JustDaveEU wrote:
Have you considered getting her into wargaming? Games like Warmachine or Warhammer 40k sound exactly what your wife wants. There are some options for scenariuos with 3-4 players, although it definitely isn't something you can just play with friends casually...

She hated Memoir 44. But doesn't like games that you are always having to refer to a rulebook either, and we aren't willing to go as deep as miniatures. X wing and Wings of Glory failed too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cry Havoc - Pretty sure thats asymmetrical. That is her biggest grip. Feeling like a certain power or rule is OP that only her "enemy" can exploit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game? Lots of fun dice combat, very simple rules, and no asymmetry besides starting locations. Works great for 2-4, was on Tom Vasel's top 100 for a while, and I have even heard multiple people say it is superior to Nexus Ops (though I am not sure I fully agree).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to give Black Fleet a look. It plays 3-4 and takes less than an hour. There's plenty of attacking but it doesn't use dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Miniatures or Screaming Eagles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you try Star Realms?

Is Epic Card Game the kind of game she hates, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gstrobe188 wrote:

Not exactly my definition of attacking other players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Did you try Star Realms?

Is Epic Card Game the kind of game she hates, too?

My thinking with either of these is that she would much prefer the card and dice play of King of Tokyo and it would need to scale well to 4 players

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Gstrobe188 wrote:

Not exactly my definition of attacking other players...

It's got dice and some attacking just not player elimination style attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread title got me thinking... Maybe we're all asking the wrong question. Maybe instead of how to pick a game for my wife, the question should be how to pick a wife who likes to game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quarriors! can be fun in your face dice fest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We love to hurt/maim/eat each other also whistle If she likes Survive, then she should definately like The Downfall of Pompeii.

GUBS: A Game of Wit and Luck is also down right nasty - possibly the nastiest I've ever played and is hilarious - many of my adults friends love this.

Colt Express you get to shoot or punch each other whilst trying to steal loot from a train?

For a party game for more players, you have BANG! The Dice Game which is dice and shooting people

Does she have a love for words, then Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre is similar to KoT but using spells instead to knock each other out.

What about games where you're forced to kind of work together but then get to stab each other in the back like Cutthroat Caverns. I think Munchkin Quest is similar??

What about Mission: Red Planet? Opportunities in there to blow each other up??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Oh and jamaica, you can attack each other and steal each other's loot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nish
United States
Marina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if a traditional miniatures game failed, what about Summoner Wars?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Arcadia Quest. It has those elements that really do take advantage of attacking players opponents. There is some asymmetry to it but the draft and combinations make it all the more interesting. My favourite game is Duel of Ages II and you could do dice with it. Both of these games involve destroying opponents. I really like King of Tokyo and am very aggressive in it (after all if you wish to be king you must be a violent oppressor of all opposition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
We love to hurt/maim/eat each other also whistle If she likes Survive, then she should definately like The Downfall of Pompeii.

GUBS: A Game of Wit and Luck is also down right nasty - possibly the nastiest I've ever played and is hilarious - many of my adults friends love this.

Colt Express you get to shoot or punch each other whilst trying to steal loot from a train?

For a party game for more players, you have BANG! The Dice Game which is dice and shooting people

Does she have a love for words, then Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre is similar to KoT but using spells instead to knock each other out.

What about games where you're forced to kind of work together but then get to stab each other in the back like Cutthroat Caverns. I think Munchkin Quest is similar??

What about Mission: Red Planet? Opportunities in there to blow each other up??

Actually Mission Red Planet is probably her 4th favorite game, but it is a distant 4th because she never requests it (unless I tell her we are not playing any of her top 3 tonight). I will review your other games but had my eye on colt express. Thanks : )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SaggyUK wrote:
Oh and jamaica, you can attack each other and steal each other's loot?

Jamaica didn't seem to have enough going on for her. It fell flat for both of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.