Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After almost 40 games of Uchronia as of this writing, we're starting to feel like certain buildings in each color are to be taken without hesitation, and others are just to be avoided unless there is nothing else AND you need to increase your Activity limit. There are many in each color set that are just extremely situational, and very dependent on when they come out, or what activities you've gone after. See what you think. I did not include the promo expansion. My perspective is based on 2p and 3p games only.

Color, card (abbreviated benefit) // + always useful // - rarely ever useful

indigo Marble

+ Square (execute 3 orders), have seen this win several games

- Basilica (complete bldg, launch same color activity), never seen this used

sugar Stone

+ Storeroom (+1 VP per 2 identical resources in stock), always worth a point or two, this one has gone as high as 7-8 VPs total including the base 2

- Arcade (cards from hand as foundations), super situational, never seen used

tobacco Brick

+ Stairs (production, forum to hand), Road (explore, draw transfer to stock), depending on which way you go early, these cards can be devastating

- Patio (use stock for orders), so situational, I can never think of a time where it would have been worth building.

Wood

+ Predatorium (+1 activity), always useful, especially as last player

- Bar (before play, draw, transfer a card to Forum), meh, one of a number of poor choices. It is however cheap to build, and once every couple of games you'll get a good card to the forum that you need to break a stall.

corn Clay

+ Passageway (explore: 1 card from hand to building) / Forge (const., complete bldg, 1 resource to stock), both of these are fantastic. Passageway is crazy good, and combos well with other explore powers.

- Viaduct (transfer a clay to avoid Draconian effects), worst card in the game?

---------------------

What's your best and worst?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Best and worst Activities by color
You mentioned a few that are hot items in our games as well--particularly the forge, predatorium, storeroom, and square.

I'm surprised you didn't also mention the buildings that give you points for having other buildings of that type. There's one among the stone (brown) buildings as well as one among the brick (red) buildings. These are especially effective, as most players aren't tracking your total score, and you can "sneak" a victory. I don't recall their names, but I think the stone building is the Senate.

There is also a brick building that allows you to benefit from your under-construction brick buildings. I don't recall the name. But as a result of this and the brick building that scores for other brick buildings, I place as many brick buildings under construction as I can. If one resource is ever in abundance in the forum, it's brick. This is because players I play with often burn their draconian orders to get the two for one wild option.

The fountain is great as well--an easy 3 point grab. And the Basilica is incredibly powerful if built early. Otherwise, it's still quite good. Think about it, you get a free trade action after each completed building. If you've built up your stock, this is a fast track to victory that's going to gain points in majorities.

I can't think of any buildings that aren't worth building. The forge especially makes building anything out of wood or clay worth building, if only for the sake of it being essentially a free build. The resources go right back to your stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Best and worst Activities by color
By the way, the title of this thread ought to read, "best and worst buildings by color." Just a heads up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your thread got Uchronia on my brain. So I reeled my wife into a 2-player game tonight. Believe it or not, the Basilica was among the opening buildings. It was the first one I built. Prior to doing so, I maxed out my activities with a construction and a production. I was the first to do both, so I instantly gained the majorities in each. I never lost them, as I built the Basilica, and followed up by launching another construction activity. Clay was very scarce. The Passageway was the second building I placed under construction, but it was the last one I built. I wanted to ensure that when I did build it, I would have another clay available to launch a production activity. I wasn't pressed to do so earlier since my wife opted to go heavy exploration/construction.

So with the Basilica:
I made sure that each building I built left me with at least one of the matching resources so that it would automatically launch among my activities. I was able to do this 4 times! Among the orders, trade feels the most like a wasted turn. In the long run, this is certainly not true. Despite there being no gain that turn, it has proven to be the determining factor in nearly every game I play. More activities always means more efficient game play, bigger turns, faster victory. It is very powerful to be able to gain this action for free. Of course, you won't always be gaining an activity you'd prefer. But I gained 4 points on top of the Basilica through majorities maintained by the Basilica. And one of the hardest things to remember when you have a majority is gaining a matching resource from the forum to your hand anytime a building of that type is completed by anyone at the table.

The Gate is the brick building which allows you to take advantage of the effects of your under-construction brick buildings. I also managed to build that one, which triggered the effect of my under-construction Canal. Since I had 5 wood in my stock, that single build landed me 7 points! I won on the following turn. My wife dropped her cards and said, "Ok."

I noticed that in your analysis of best buildings, the only big point potential building you mentioned was the Storeroom.
There are also:
Marble--Agora
Brick--Canal & Necropolis
Stone--Senate

I could list my favorites, but it would just be better to see a list of all of the cards for that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pointed out Basilica to one of my main opponents, and told him we'd never used it. He promptly built it in the next game we played and made it work for him.

I wrote this list of "best and worst" with the idea of which buildings had the best chance of being useful, under the most conditions.

Thinking about the point buildings more tonight, I think they are extremely powerful. But they are not always powerful... and are far less useful early fame than late game (although you could say this for all the buildings actually).

We've started to explore more advanced methods of using Draconians last couple of plays. When we really get the timing and nuances down better, we may find some alternatives to our standard game of:

1. Produce
2. Construct
3. Build 6-6 buildings
4. Launch 3 construction activities, 3 production, and 2 trade.
5. Win

We're trying hard to find something better than this basic winning approach, or something as an alternative that is 95% as good. Explore and Draconian plays seem so much weaker and more situational.

40 games in, we'll need at least 40 more I think before we'll know for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.