Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective» Forums » General

Subject: Why the hard-to-read font might be helpful rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hannes Sörensson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember seeing some complaints on the font of the texts in this game being hard to read. I thought the same and thought it to be a flaw of the game (at least of the Ystari edition, I haven't played the old one).

I just found this Youtube video which goes into why this might not be a flaw at all:

Basically, my understanding is that there have been a number of studies (the video description cites three, though I haven't read them) that suggest that increasing cognitive strain by putting text in a less easily decipherable font helps memory and forces your brain into a more "analytical" mode.

Seems straightforward enough to me that this should make solving the cases in this game easier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is an interesting idea, although I have doubts that the publisher had indeed thought about this before publishing the game. (Additionally, there has been more recent research that failed to reproduce the findings the video talks about; e.g., this study, of which the cited professor is also a coauthor of: http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/xge/144/2/e16/. In any case, it's intuitive that the bad font will initially increase one's focus on the reading.)

But there's another, undeniable, benefit from the bad font: it's a lot harder to accidentally read paragraphs you are not supposed to, accidentally spoiling parts of the case!

(Edit: spelinng.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Johnson
United States
Seguin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the font was chosen so it would be harder to read adjacent clues by accident, as that can work to give you "free" info that should cost you a move. I also think that they added some bogus clues in the clue section that cannot be found anywhere in another attempt to stop this sort of thing. So if you use a clue that you did not find officially, you may be led to a totally wrong conclusion.

Ideally, each clue should be on its own page(s) with nothing on the back. But this takes a lot of paper with a lot of whitespace, so they did not do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don Johnson wrote:
I think the font was chosen so it would be harder to read adjacent clues by accident, as that can work to give you "free" info that should cost you a move.

That was always my assumption (along with disguising the typos ). However, love it or hate it, it looks like the font won't be featured in the upcoming expansion, at least assuming the English version follows the French one shown in this video: Sherlock Holmes : Detective Conseil Jack & West end. I expect the publisher will use the same font in the new edition of the base game, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.