$15.00
$5.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
55 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do you ever feel unfulfilled after a night of great games, but little social interaction? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Or is it all about the gaming for you?
I love playing great games, I love the hobby, but the social element is a critical component for me.
If it's with people I see on a daily basis, the social aspect isn't as critical.

How about you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If, on the rare occasion I play with others, it's still all about the games for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I usually don't have any regrets about game night because my old group would interject with plenty of jokes and mild ribbings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will play a good game solo (if it can be played solitaire) and be happy to do so. If I don't like a game, I won't join in with a group who are playing it.

Best case scenario is playing a game I like with a group; otherwise solo. It is the game that determines whether I will play, not the social context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand the distinction you draw. For me, "great games" are precisely those which require me to interact with people to create a story or solve a problem. This interaction can take many different forms mechanically (cooperation, alliances, competition, combat, negotiation, trade, social deduction etc.), but I'm not very interested in "multiplayer solitaire" games, so I can't really enjoy the game without enjoying the company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
I feel the other way around when people talk most of the night and just play a game or two later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I'm going to a gaming group then I know I may not be doing anything but a specific type of games so can get in the mood for that beforehand. However I've had this happen outside of formal meet-up groups, mainly with heavier Euros & friends who also love board games.

If everyone in a room is so seriously into planning their moves while coming to terms with a new rule-set then it's going to cut away a lot of in-game communication as down time won't necessarily be down time.

Not that it's a hugely bad thing if you are chatting beforehand/afterwards, but I'm sure we all know (or are ourselves) people who love playing these types of games so much we might play the same one multiple times in an evening.

That's where I don't have fun with them, mainly as most of the informal board game evenings I ever have with friends lead to us chatting up a storm/playing video games/playing whatever instruments are hanging around/going out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I go to game night for games. When it devolved into mostly chatting, I get really overwhelmed. I can do chatting for a little bit, but don't make it the focus and don't blare your music.

Now, my risk legacy group starts with a homemade meal and we talk through that and then play a light game and then Get into the big game. That's nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Petersen
Denmark
Svendborg
flag msg tools
The bigger the problem, the bigger a hammer you'll need!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends - I got two groups, that I play with - one is with friends, who I really like to chat with - the other is just about the games, if they want to chat fine, but it doesn't matter to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Layton
United States
Leominster
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is never a problem of no interaction on my game nights. We make Candy Land competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OutOfHabit wrote:
I go to game night for games. When it devolved into mostly chatting, I get really overwhelmed. I can do chatting for a little bit, but don't make it the focus and don't blare your music.

Now, my risk legacy group starts with a homemade meal and we talk through that and then play a light game and then Get into the big game. That's nice.

I can't stand when you're with a group, supposed to be playing a game, and it just turns into talking for 30 minutes between turns and me just sitting there twiddling my thumbs waiting... rather go to dinner or something to chat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, just the way I like it actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group meets for just games. The others in the group are closer so do other things together besides just games. I don't really click with them, so I keep the contact to games.

At the moment, I'm 1) interested in finding a new group I would mesh with a little better, and 2) not looking very hard since I'm back in school and that seems to take up too much time to commit to a regular game group at the moment.

Back to the OP question: No, since I didn't really click with the people I gamed with, I was less interested in a heavy social interaction. For example, we played through Pandemic Legacy not long ago. We met about twice a month. We would talk for 10-15 minutes during set up and while others arrived. We'd play 2 sets and go home. That worked for me.

I think it matters on your game group and how you all get along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Malmberg
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Game night? I am there to play not talk. I do not mind small talk between turns, but we are either playing games or chatting -- we're not doing both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
I tend to range between mildly depressed & irritated and seethingly furious (with myself for putting myself through that yet again) after an evening or day of vacuous social games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Thomas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I feel the other way around when people talk most of the night and just play a game or two later.

this is me too....if I play just social stuff or its mostly talking and hanging out but no game crunches my brain I feel like I missed something.

I prefer to get in one med-heavy game on a game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Willis
New Zealand
Dunedin
Otago
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes. It really depends on my mood and I have the luxury of being able to choose my gaming partners accordingly on the day (as our gaming group has sets of both serious, quiet gamers and fun, social gamers). I generally lean towards the social types, though.

I do know what you're talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
flag msg tools
Well for me "social interaction" means me and another person are both reading our books in the same room. So for games, it's mainly a catalyst to get me around a table with people, so even if it's only games and no talking I usually walk away feeling like I had a rich full day of socializing. I tend to get pretty annoyed if people's focus drift away from the game too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
mb
clearclaw wrote:
I tend to range between mildly depressed & irritated and seethingly furious (with myself for putting myself through that yet again) after an evening or day of vacuous social games.

Well maybe not furious but definitely disappointed and frustrated for the same reasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Rogers wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Well maybe not furious but definitely disappointed and frustrated for the same reasons.

Same. I usually only get assaulted with party games on new year's eve and I hate it. I've even taken to not attending my friend's "game nights" because it's usually something like four hours of cards against humanity. So instead of socializing I play a bad game. I'd rather just have some beer, eats, and conversation than be roped into an activity. And I have never once tried to force a game on my non-gamer friends. It would be nice if they would return the courtesy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the distinction you draw. For me, "great games" are precisely those which require me to interact with people to create a story or solve a problem. This interaction can take many different forms mechanically (cooperation, alliances, competition, combat, negotiation, trade, social deduction etc.), but I'm not very interested in "multiplayer solitaire" games, so I can't really enjoy the game without enjoying the company.

Pretty much this, except I don't much care for cooperating full bore. Games with strong diplomacy factors are the good stuff. So most of my games have some level of social interaction, dinner takes care of the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the other way: we play a game, we put it back in the box then someone begins to talk, everybody talk ... and before we begin an other game it's time to go and it seems to me we have wasted potential gaming time in blathering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I was introduced to boardgames by God. But that's another story.

However, what I have realised is that social boardgames being an amazing social buzz that's typically missing to normal discourse, more common to parties and people you don't see so often, but that it works with nears and dears. It's been amazing for my family and flatmates. From kids buried in video-games and tablets, to my dad saying "I haven't heard such joy in this family before", and completely supporting me in making gaming a part of every evening though he says he can't get on with them and doesn't wish to join in.

Having said all that, as wonderful as it is to have our anthropological liking of social connectedness satisfied, I'm so far missing out somewhat on other satisfactions, and that the OP mentions: raw competitive action, the miser's joy in hoarding (hello economic games, monopoly etc), and the twin pleasures of growing and building (farms, empires etc).

I've concentrated so much on socially buzzy and non-agressive games that they leave me feeling like I haven't had my daily quota of violence. We are, after all, quasi carnivores. I need me some red meat and blood.

I wonder if there are such games, while avoiding the kind of games that cause family arguments.

Fangs a lot for any suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was all about the gaming, I'd just stay at home and play on boardgame arena or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.