Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
SAID as "you-row-ger". Now, we've had 'Weuros' (Wallenstein) denotation with LACK of 'acceptance', so then with the recent 'spate' of Small World, QM, etc. results that there's a competing 'Agricopycat' vying for #1. THIS is now the: "EUROger"!
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
SAID as "you-row-ger". Now, we've had 'Weuros' (Wallenstein) denotation with LACK of 'acceptance', so then with the recent 'spate' of Small World, QM, etc. results that there's a competing 'Agricopycat' vying for #1. THIS is now the: "EUROger"!
whistle

Hard to argue with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Westie wrote:
Hard to argue with that.
That "Sirocco" by TSR should suffice as a primary 'example', since what other also contained the similar components of theirs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Clifford Brown - Brown & Roach Inc. || Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Mosaic || Either/Orchestra - The Calculus of Pleasure || Michael Formanek - Low Profile
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
That "Sirocco" by TSR should suffice as a primary 'example', since what other also contained the similar components of theirs?

I get the wind up me every time you mention Sirocco. Roger that. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Westie wrote:
Hard to argue with that.

If Eurogamers knew what it means to have their games compared to Sirocco, it would be Frankenstein and the villagers all over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
But are EUROgers real wargames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Where does the -ger come from in EUROger?

How about the term Combo Euro/Wargame Theme or C.E.W.T. (pronounced 'cute')?

Or WT (Wargami-Trash)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
catosulla wrote:
If Eurogamers knew what it means to have their games compared to Sirocco, it would be Frankenstein and the villagers all over again.
RISK began with "little wooden cubes"/ARMIES, so, whom repurposed these unto wherever else then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
This were meant/intended UPON those more recent sort being 'foisted' FROM an actual "War Games" company, and their 'copycat'-"appellation" then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
caracfergus wrote:
Where does the -ger come from in EUROger?

How about the term Combo Euro/Wargame Theme or C.E.W.T. (pronounced 'cute')?

Or WT (Wargami-Trash)?
HOW did you 'pronounce' this "ger" then? Jher or Gir? DO NOT WANT that other 'term' of yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
All this wing-flapping just because some can't stand calling a game without hexes and cardboard markers a "wargame" - not because it doesn't fit just fine semantically, but because somebody's nose is getting bent.

The irony is that some don't believe a game not having a tabletop covered in terrain occupied by painted miniatures is a wargame, either.

We should focus much less on what separates us, and more on what draws us together. Don't we have enough dividing lines to deal with already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:

We should focus much less on what separates us, and more on what draws us together. Don't we have enough dividing lines to deal with already?

good luck with that.

sigh shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fambans `
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The meaning of the "ger" part of euroger is still unknown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:
All this wing-flapping just because some can't stand calling a game without hexes and cardboard markers a "wargame" - not because it doesn't fit just fine semantically, but because somebody's nose is getting bent.

The irony is that some don't believe a game not having a tabletop covered in terrain occupied by painted miniatures is a wargame, either.

Sounds like you should be running for office
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
DarrellKH wrote:

Just so's you KNOWN, then, BGG-"popularity" by NAME-associated and all else pertaining UPON such in order with: "make it so, too #1!" I did find it 'demeaning' with EACH 'rep'GAME bearing either a "Warrish" or "EUROger" title for this. Can you think of ONE specific kind then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
fambans wrote:
~"Why don't you 'dig' how 'beautiful' it IS!" cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fambans `
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's absolutely icebox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
wow ~"oh, man! I've had nothing BUT 'positive waves' ...several times too now!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
fambans wrote:

I think of it as eu-roger. Which amuses me, if you know of the verb to roger...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
fambans wrote:
That's absolutely icebox.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarrellKH wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Here's hoping that you had a wonderful "Thanksgiving" there, and save me a slice of that "MinceMooseMeat PIE!" oh, with 'gravy' over that. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
DarrellKH wrote:

Just so's you KNOWN, then, BGG-"popularity" by NAME-associated and all else pertaining UPON such in order with: "make it so, too #1!" I did find it 'demeaning' with EACH 'rep'GAME bearing either a "Warrish" or "EUROger" title for this. Can you think of ONE specific kind then?

I cannot say, with any degree of confidence, that I know what the he'll you're saying.

If I were Eddie Albert, you would be my Eva Gabor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

And the corollary, are Eurogermers real wargamers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And more to the point, just WTF is a "real" wargamer?

Conversely, what in the world is an "unreal" wargamer?

And just how does pursuing an "us vs. them" mentality actually help anything, in any case?

I've played a metric butt-ton of wargames in five, full decades. Am I suddenly now not a "real" wargamer because I like some of the things coming from the unorthodox side of the house?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.