Fury of Dracula (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Did FFG ever print the revised rule book? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering if anyone knows if FFG printed the revised and updated rule book with newer printings of the game? I know there were a lot of errors initially and I have the FAQ and updated rule book in PDF. I would just prefer to have an actual printed copy and so was wondering if it might be worth it to pick up a new one while it's still available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm Human, I promise!
badge
Lies, I'm totally a Cylon!
Are you talking between 2nd & 3rd edition? There are significant differences between editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadious wrote:
Are you talking between 2nd & 3rd edition? There are significant differences between editions.

No, I'm talking about 3rd Edition. There were significant errors in the rules for 3rd edition. These have been fixed in the PDFs on FFG's website in the last several months. I was wondering if these fixes ever made it into a physical copy. If not, they won't ever be, as the game is not getting reprinted. That's all I was wondering.

EDIT: the PDFs from FFG are dated April 2016.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was wondering the same thing

also, if it was ever printed, is there a way to tell (from the outside of the box without opening it) which printing of the third edition it is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they had time for a second print run, so I doubt it.

Is there a summary of the changes anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to this post Re: Revised Rules, it looks like the revised rules were in copies of the game at Gen Con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy has all the changes the FAQ does, so yes. As far as I know, there's no way to tell from the outside, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
I'm Human, I promise!
badge
Lies, I'm totally a Cylon!
I picked mine up retail a few weeks ago, and it was the first printing, so just depends on how much overturn the store does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Citizen Badger wrote:
Yes they printed a revised Learn to Play and Rules Reference in the second print run. And yes you can distinguish this from the outside of the box.

All FFG products have a production code that tells you the print run and year it was printed. It's always located next to the bar code.

For Fury of Dracula to identify the second print run look for the code 15199N. If ordering online send an email to the store before placing the order and ask if they can help identify what print run they have in stock, just help them out with what to look for where. Although the first print run sold through very fast and it's unlikely any copies still at retail aren't from a restock of second printing at this point. But you never know for sure.

thank you so much for this!
however, my open copy which contains the typos does have that number (15199N)
I also have two unopened copies, one is also 15199N and the other is 16192R

side note: the box front of my 16192R copy is noticeably greener than my 15199N copies (which are bluer)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did only the rulebook changed between those versions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone!

Yeah, My copy, which I got from B&N a few weeks ago, is 15199N and it's the old rule books. Everywhere I have searched so far it's the 15199N that they have. I even recently ordered copies from MM and CSI and they are also 15199N. I guess I'll just end up putting them on eBay. It's a shame that I'm so OC about this. shake

At least now I have a number (16192R) to look for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone upload the updated rules? :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joekeck
United States
jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
this is peculiar, how 15199N sometimes has the old rules, sometimes new
I would really appreciate it if everyone reading this who has an open copy (or copies) could post their 'print run number'(if that's what its called) and which version of the rules it has
i'm also wondering if some copies might have the old Learn to Play but the new Rules Reference, or vice versa

if you aren't sure, probably the easiest details to find are:
RR: at the bottom of page 4 under 'combat': old rules mention "aggressive vampire" whereas new rules say "reckless vampire"
LtP: on page 14 under 'consecrated ground and heavenly host tokens': the last word of that paragraph in the old rules is 'dusk', in new rules its 'dawn'
the faq explains all the rulebook differences:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/47/b7...

and the updated rules:
learn to play:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/59/64...
rules reference:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/b2/f6...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marsh
msg tools
15199N for me and it's the updated rules as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got print run:
16192R, new rules.

keckles wrote:
RR: at the bottom of page 4 under 'combat': old rules mention "aggressive vampire" whereas new rules say "reckless vampire"

Ah this explains the typo in the "fixed" rules.

cry Combat with an "Reckless Vampire"...
Oh well grammar I can live with. I'm glad the actual rule was updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Koenig
Germany
Fuerth
Bayern
flag msg tools
Tom is crazy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I still don't get why everybody wants the updated rules. Extensive research on BGG is needed anyway. The rulebook alone will get you nowhere ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechaniac wrote:
I still don't get why everybody wants the updated rules. Extensive research on BGG is needed anyway. The rulebook alone will get you nowhere ..

I don't like having to check BGG when I'm playing with friends or family, especially if an argument comes up. My family doesn't care what people say on BGG. They do care what the actual rule book says. Also, looking online really takes me out of the game more than looking in the rule book.

My biggest gripe with the original rules vs revised rules were the vampire encounter rules.

EDIT: I'm also not always in a place with internet access, like when I'm on vacation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bird
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a "special edition" revised rulebook. It features very neat text alterations done in felt pen by a trusted authority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
Mechaniac wrote:

I don't like having to check BGG when I'm playing with friends or family, especially if an argument comes up. My family doesn't care what people say on BGG. They do care what the actual rule book says. Also, looking online really takes me out of the game more than looking in the rule book.

I hate to say it, but there are many cases that the rulebook will not solve. If you can't reference the BGG clarifications, you will just go in circles arguing. If that is really their attitude, I think this game becomes unplayable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
DancingFool wrote:

My biggest gripe with the original rules vs revised rules were the vampire encounter rules.

EDIT: I'm also not always in a place with internet access, like when I'm on vacation.

Understandable, nobody wants to pause a game to go searching the internet

But this only really leaves you 2 choices - studying the internet in advance to find all the best arguments so you can use them. Or print off the current rules and FAQ files, but be prepared for an argument when things come up which people don't agree on. Or a mixture of both.

The point being, sad as it is, that the official sources are still somewhat lacking for this game when it comes to answering a few common queries. Personally we don't find this a problem as I play with my kids and if I'm in doubt I give whatever side I'm not on the benefit of the doubt, so it doesn't slow the game too much.

But if your family always want to agree a clear answer from official sources only, you may find this game causes a few arguments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i have my rulebook with me where can i see in it what version it is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SissyBell wrote:
i have my rulebook with me where can i see in it what version it is?

If you look at the last paragraph on page 4 of the reference guide, you will see a reference to "Reckless Vampire" if it is the revised print or "Aggressive Vampire" if it is the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
16192R, new rules. Recently bought from Amazon (sold by Amazon).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Spring Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've looked at Fantasy Flight's official FAQ. There's a list of corrections that need to be made to the Learn To Play and Rules Reference from the first printing (of the 3rd edition). I'm trying to avoid printing both of these.

I'm planning on writing in these changes by hand. If I do write them in, will my Learn To Play and Rules Reference then be up to date, or are there other updates that were made that aren't listed in the FAQ?

Thanks for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like Randy is working on compiling everything into one rule book, so you may want to wait for that.

Edit: Sorry, I was going from memory. I should have said "Randal" and not presumed to call you "Randy".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.