3 Posts

Tragedy Looper: Midnight Circle» Forums » General

Subject: Script 10 (Mystery Circle) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Q
msg tools
This is an overview of Script 10.

None of this should be read by potential protagonists.

The first spoiler below explains why I made this post and has minimal spoilers for a mastermind.

The second spoiler below contains detailed spoilers on the scenario and follows on from the first.

If you are masterminding and are perfectly happy with this script then feel free to read none of this in case it prejudices your play.

General spoiler section

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I believe this script is broken/close to unwinnable. I have played in once as the MM and about 3/4 of the way through I did not see how the good guys get a win.

If you want to know why I think it's unwinnable then read the second section. However to re-iterate, if you are happy with this script then please play it out as you wish and don't read the second spoiler section.

Detailed spoiler section

Spoiler (click to reveal)
It seems difficult/impossible for the good guys to stop the Day 3 suicide which kills a Friend.

If we assume the good guys have perfect information about the Girl Student being the friend, the RMD being the PI and the Boss being the Conspiracy Theorist.

The MM can play +1 Paranoia on the Girl Student each of the first 3 days. A further 3 Paranoia from the Boss/CT with his global ability. Getting the Boss killed with the Serial Killer very difficult as the MM can move the Boss in a direction away from the Hospital (e.g. to the school on day 1). This gives a maximum of 6 Paranoia on the Girl Student.

The good guys can play -1 on each of the 3 days to cancel three, leaving 3 total. They have to remove of one more.

The only options to do this are the Doctor or the Pop Idol.

The Doctor requires two moves and a +2 Goodwill to get him next to the Girl Student. Keeping the Doctor out of the School is easy enough to achieve with a movement 'away' (see boss play above). The good guys could move the Girl Student but then they can't play -1 Paranoia that turn making the job harder.

The Pop Idol requires 2 days of +Goodwill and a move.

The MM can definitely stop one of those getting to their GW limit with Forbid Goodwill, probably by playing Forbid GW on the Pop Idol on the first two days.

I haven't mapped out all possibilities but it seems with perfect info and good MM play the Day 3 incident is near impossible to prevent.

The final kicker is the Main Plot rule that counts Intrigue as Paranoia for Suicide. So the MM can chuck a +2 Intrigue down instead of +1 Paranoia on one of the three days and make preventing it even harder.

Unwinnable scenarios aren't a problem provided the final guess is achievable. But with the Boss GW easily block-able before he gets to 5 that leaves the Shrine Maiden who can refuse (Poisoner).

That leaves running people into the Serial Killer to find Friends or Key Person and trying to trigger incidents by dumping Paranoia everywhere to find the Fool/Poisoner.

Happy to be contradicted if someone sees a solid way round the above! But as it stands I do not see how the good guys win with strong MM play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you use the corrected sheet? (Sorry standard question).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Q
msg tools
We did. Not that I believe it would make much difference to the above situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.