Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played one of Mr. Simonitch's designs, that I'm aware of. I've been looking for a Marget-Garden game for some time, but have been intimidated by the number and complexity of monster-game titles that are out there. On the other hand the VPG offerings seem too light for my tastes.

Based on map size, number of counters and my limited perception of rules complexity, I have a feeling that this title could hit the sweet spot that I've been looking for.

Can anyone experienced with this system in particular, or Mr. Simonitch's games in general, tell me if I've bit off more than I can chew?

For what it's worth, I've already preordered it, so one way or another I'll find out the answer to my question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how much you can chew, but these are medium complexity games, with a fair amount of chrome. Mark uses his combat results tables (CRT's) to provide some tactical detail and flavor, and it works quite well. I don't think the games are too detailed or complicated for anyone who wants to learn them.

I'd suggest looking over the rules to one of the other games, Normandy '44, for example, to get an idea. I think Ardennes '44 (a fine game) is the most complicated of them. I don't know how Holland will stack up, but my guess is that it might be slightly less rules heavy than Normandy, but in that general ballpark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mike.

My impression is that this will be something like a 6 or 7 on the old Avalon Hill scale (Anzio, perhaps, or The Game of France, 1940: German Blitzkrieg in the West).

Am I in the ballpark?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Anzio, roughly, isn't a bad comp. Maybe a 4 or 5 on AH's old difficulty scale. As I recall, Anzio was a '4' on that scale. These games are not really difficult, the rules consulting mainly comes from the chrome, in my experience. I do think Mark employs just the right amount of chromey rules in his games, though...just enough for the proper flavor without being annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's great. Now I'm getting excited.

In any case, $35 and shipping seems a reasonable price to try it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are really good games, for people who like hex and counter wargames. I think they are modern classics. If you like this one (when it is released), definitely check out the others - especially Ardennes '44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Francis
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
“"To Aetius, now consul for the third time: the groans of the Britons ... The barbarians drive us to the sea; the sea throws us back on the barbarians: thus two modes of death await us, we are either slain or drowned".” ―Gildas
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeOberly wrote:
They are really good games, for people who like hex and counter wargames. I think they are modern classics. If you like this one (when it is released), definitely check out the others - especially Ardennes '44.

Seconded. I think they're simply fantastic, especially the battalion level games (Normandy, Ardennes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeOberly wrote:

And let's get those Ardennes '44 reprint P500 numbers up!! It's taking a while. I own N'44, and have also signed up for Holland '44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burgoyne

Racine
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmb
I see there is a shorter 10 turn scenario. Any rough estimates out there on how long something like that would take to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.