Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. I have a good friend who has parkinson's disease. As his symptoms progress, I am looking for activities that we can share. Does anyone have any experience with games that work well in this situation? Obviously, I'm guessing lots of small pieces would be out of the question. Any other considerations I'm missing? Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
Cooperative games would probably be good, as you could move any pawn/whatever once he's decided what he wants to do. Or any game that relies on more verbal things to play the game than pushing cubes around, like, say, Mysterium. Goodluck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JB
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for walks with him, go out for dinner, see a movie.
Things we take for granted.
The type of game depends how far his Parkinsons has progressed.
Stick with the kind of game he already likes and play that while you can.
All the best for the journey, it's not easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Some party games that should work well:

Codenames
Trivia games such as Trivial Pursuit or Wits and Wagers
Family Feud (don't laugh...this is one of my favorite party games!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say games with minimal cards, or where your opponents can see the cards is ideal, as it would be hard to do hand management. In addition, as others have mentioned, minimal meeples, or meeples you can move for him are good.

Agreed on cooperative games - good options, but perhaps not what you have in mind. What does he like - what sort of things does he typically enjoy? Within that I'd be happy to provide some game ideas! I've worked in neurological rehabilitation and know quite a bit about Parkinson's, but even within this, individual taste still applies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
shumyum wrote:
Some party games that should work well:

Codenames
Trivia games such as Trivial Pursuit or Wits and Wagers
Family Feud (don't laugh...this is one of my favorite party games!)

TP, FF, and W&W are great suggestions. My family and friends have a great time playing Jeopardy, Who Wants To Be a Millionaire and Password, with one person "hosting" and the rest playing, so there is no board or any physical activity needed. With Jeopardy (and we used to play Outburst, and that could be fun here, too), you can play the manufactured games (they should be available on ebay), or, we also write our own Jeopardy and Outburst questions. These can be tailor-made for categories about your friends, families and communities, which is a great way to bring up and talk about shared memories again while you're playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Anything with entirely open information and laid out in a way that you can manipulate his pieces as needed. Chess (or almost any similarly gridded game) for example can be played by him stating his moves and you dealing with the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I would think dice games would work especially if you replace them with bigger dice (which you can buy online) they would be easier to pick up for instance Roll For it is a good one.

If you want something with a little more substance try power gird that is a good one especially if you play with the rule money in piles on the table.

Stuff where you have to grab from a stack may not be a good idea, it could make it frustrating for him.

There is also Kingsburg but there are resource cubes to handle, what about puerto rico?

Caylus?

maybe Ra?

I don't know, try these out or look them up on YouTube to see review videos and get a feel for them, only you know the extent of the illness and how to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate Haywood
United Kingdom
Lancaster
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think dice game is a good idea - what about Las Vegas as your friend can probably roll dice even if one at a time, for quite a long time. You could support with physically assigning and it will still be really fun. I think it's a great idea what you're doing; keep doing it as long as you can xxx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. All great suggestions, and much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.