Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt Williams
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Picked up a copy over the weekend and have run through two solo plays with two characters at normal difficulty (12 minute planning time, first story). I play a lot of coop games solo and generally that is not a problem, but I think it is an issue here.

The main problem for me is the timed planning phase. I admittedly hate timed elements in games, but picked this one up because the theme and artwork intrigued me. When you have multiple players the timed element would work better, because you only have one character to worry about and can coordinate with others. Trying to plot out the movements and strategy for two characters simultaneously is too much a burden on my admittedly small brain. Both plays I ran out of time and had to cheat a bit by filling in my last moves after the clock ran out. (Didn't help in the end, as I lost both times against the anatongist.)

I'm debating extending the planning phase beyond 12 minutes or throwing that part of the game out altogether. My next playthrough I'm going to try to play without preprogramming moves, just to see if I can come up with any ideas for a variant. I know that could drastically change the game but right now I don't see this as a keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Will

Thank you for your reflections.

When we developed the game, I soloed a lot of playthroughs. One variant you might enjoy is to play without time pressure and without Action tokens. It works like this:

Choose your team of 2-4 characters, but use only a single Action clock for the entire team. Begin the game at 6am as normal, but instead of programming, you simply move your characters and perform investigations right away as if you were already in the Story phase. Move through the 12 Actions one by one moving and investigating right away.

If you find the game to easy this way, try playing with no starting confidence, virtues and/or items. If it is still too easy (which I doubt), you can begin with a number of Dread already on the track.

Let us know how this works for you.

Happy gaming!

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Williams
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Jejust
msg tools
new user

I enjoy playing it this way so much- without the pressure of the tokens/arrows that my daughter and I play it this way too. We still find it challenging, and we still lose.(This is my first game). Thanks for this suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.