$35.00
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
My folklore reading has been this:

https://www.amazon.com/Treasury-Southern-Folklore-Traditions...

It's a pretty good read, and gives me some feeling for a region I'm not super familiar with, but whenever it gets to the Antebellum (and even postbellum) plantation class, I'm left amazed at their helplessness. These people are Eloi waiting for their Morlocks to appear. (And that's not getting to what they call the 'white mark')

So I'm reading this, and I'm left seeing Trump, and I have the realization;

We all know he's a pile of shit who should never be president (©jmilum), but he's also just like those pampered plantation owners; A hopeless affluenza victim who's a piece of shit because he's never had to not be a piece of shit.

Inherited wealth seems to have a tendency to turn people into wastes of air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: So I've come to the conclusion that massive wealth destroys you.
Counterpoint mark cubin, steve bill gates, (edit) David Dejardins.

I'm sure there are many others.

But yes, "Great power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" is a well worn cliche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: So I've come to the conclusion that massive wealth destroys you.
maxo-texas wrote:
Counterpoint mark cubin, steve gates.

But yes, "Great power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" is a well worn cliche.

Who's Steve Gates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Updated the title, there is a point that the issue I'm gettingt at is 'inherited wealth'.

Cuban doesn't apply, though... Bill Gates is slightly more to your point, but that's part of the thing.

It's growing up and continuing with no consequences that seems to turn you into a Trump.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheesh. Bill Gates.

On my first cup of coffee.

Oh and /facepalm.

Our very own David DeJardins.

I don't think his great wealth has destroyed him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Who's Steve Gates?

Steve Gates is bill gates younger wealthy brother who wanders the world helping orphans and cats caught in trees. It's a really remarkable story.

I have no clue why I wrote Steve. I went to a gaming party at my daughter's last night (no drinking involved, I swear!) and I caught a slight cold from my grandsons. I've been having trouble sleeping more than 7 hours a day and somehow the cold let me sleep almost 12 hours.
So I was still a little foggy headed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Sheesh. Bill Gates.

On my first cup of coffee.

Oh and /facepalm.

Our very own David DeJardins.

I don't think his great wealth has destroyed him.

I don't think he inherited it though (I cheated and changed the title).

As I mentioned above, Gate's situation was a little different. Here's a nice quote from wiki on maybe why he didn't end up a Trump;

Quote:
The family encouraged competition; one visitor reported that "it didn't matter whether it was hearts or pickleball or swimming to the dock ... there was always a reward for winning and there was always a penalty for losing".

Trump was famously and repeatedly bailed out by his dad. That's the entirity of the problem with the Affluenza kid, too.

Being rich doesn't ruin you, being born rich seems to put some barriers in your way of being a decent human being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

I have no clue why I wrote Steve. I went to a gaming party at my daughter's last night (no drinking involved, I swear!) and I caught a slight cold from my grandsons. I've been having trouble sleeping more than 7 hours a day and somehow the cold let me sleep almost 12 hours.

Prolly conflating with Steve Jobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Could be but he was a piece of shit to other human beings so he supports your position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Gates, found of Microfruit, fruit made especially for people with tiny hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:

It's a pretty good read, and gives me some feeling for a region I'm not super familiar with, but whenever it gets to the Antebellum (and even postbellum) plantation class, I'm left amazed at their helplessness. These people are Eloi waiting for their Morlocks to appear. (And that's not getting to what they call the 'white mark')

We all know he's a pile of shit who should never be president (©jmilum), but he's also just like those pampered plantation owners; A hopeless affluenza victim who's a piece of shit because he's never had to not be a piece of shit.

I think you're right. It doesn't have to be that way but all too often, unfortunately, it is. At the other extreme destitution leads, as well, to the degradation of human nature. That's why we need to work towards creating a society in which the extremes of wealth and poverty don't exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a nice theory, but according to the most recent Frontline documentary, Trump is the way he is because that's the way his dad raised him. It's more about who his dad was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
That's a nice theory, but according to the most recent Frontline documentary, Trump is the way he is because that's the way his dad raised him. It's more about who his dad was.

His dad wouldn't have been able to raise him that way without hte money :p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The British aristocracy provides examples of inherited wealth that has turned out shits, and those who have been fed a diet of duty along with their wealth - typically in being an officer in the military. Of course that sense of duty was/is usually duty viewed through an aristocratic filter, and limited by that. But you can't think too badly of someone who could just lead a life of ease and instead chooses to get shot at.

Or in other words, it matters what else they are given along with the money.

(On balance I suspect Bill Gates has it right; if you do have inherited wealth, give them enough to do whatever they want to do, but not enough to do nothing. Of course most people don't have that option.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roman Emperors born to the purple were almost universally disasters. Father to son succession was surprisingly rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
The British aristocracy provides examples of inherited wealth that has turned out shits, and those who have been fed a diet of duty along with their wealth - typically in being an officer in the military. Of course that sense of duty was/is usually duty viewed through an aristocratic filter, and limited by that. But you can't think too badly of someone who could just lead a life of ease and instead chooses to get shot at.

Or in other words, it matters what else they are given along with the money.

(On balance I suspect Bill Gates has it right; if you do have inherited wealth, give them enough to do whatever they want to do, but not enough to do nothing. Of course most people don't have that option.)

You make a very good point I'd forgotten about Gates - he explicitly doesn't want to leave his kids too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Prolly conflating with me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure. I'd like to test the theory by inheriting tremendous wealth due to the death of a long lost uncle and see how I turn out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United States
flag msg tools
windsagio wrote:

Yeah, it's not a unique way if your post is anything to go by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
sfox wrote:
I'm not sure. I'd like to test the theory by inheriting tremendous wealth due to the death of a long lost uncle and see how I turn out.

I think it's too late for you. You missed those formative protective bailouts.

To be a proper noble, you have to be raised in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

His dad wouldn't have been able to raise him that way without hte money

His dad became rich because of his attitude. That attitude would still have been taught to Trump without the money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides wrote:
The best argument against genetic determinism is the children of the rich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
Studies have already shown that wealth (inherited or not or even only virtual) reduces your compassion versus other, less well-off people:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-wealth-reduce...

The poor and middle class are also expanding their charitable contributions during economic downturns while the wealthy reduce theirs:
http://national.deseretnews.com/article/3922/do-the-poor-giv...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.