$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Could a T/S game end in a draw? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Demetrius Mavrou
Greece
flag msg tools
Could a T/S game end in a draw?

The other day I played the digital version; controlling the USSR, I was ahead on VPs by exactly 6, then played Wargames (just wanted to see what happens then) !

Surprisingly though, I was declared winner ...

1) It is technically possible that a game ends in a draw, isn't it?

2) if it' s not, what are the tiebreakers?

3) Is it just a bug or what?


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gallo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the rulebook, during final scoring "If the VP marker is on zero, the game ends in a draw."

If, after playing wargames, the score is at 0, the game should be a draw.

I don't play the Steam version much, but I have heard that there is a bug when the game ends on 0.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Harmony, liberal intercourse with all nations, are recommended by policy, humanity, and interest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Draws are possible; this sounds like a bug.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
It was 50 years ago today.
mbmbmbmbmb
dirubin wrote:
Draws are possible; this sounds like a bug.

Agreed, but perhaps here's an explanation: I wonder if the game logic incorrectly gave the OP +1 VP for the China Card, even if it wasn't the end of Turn 10?

Did you have the China Card, and was the VP count 0 not counting that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
As everyone else has mentioned, the game can end in a VP draw.

Playdek have stated that they deliberately designed their version to have no draws, and therefore awarded all VP ties to the US. I'd call this a "bad decision" rather than a "bug".

However, you claim to have won on a VP tie while playing as the USSR. That sounds like a bug. Were you playing the Late War Scenario? (I ask because the Late War Scenario Wargames win conditions are known to be buggy but I don't think anyone has ever won on a VP tie as the USSR in a standard game).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Draws are possible (I've had one in 326 games to date).

I echo Benkyo's comment about Playdek's implementation.

I know for the ACTS ladder ties are given to the US but that's a tournament rule. It could be Playdek implemented it that way for that reason, but that's just speculation on my part.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Demetrius Mavrou
Greece
flag msg tools
k1nu wrote:
dirubin wrote:
Draws are possible; this sounds like a bug.

Agreed, but perhaps here's an explanation: I wonder if the game logic incorrectly gave the OP +1 VP for the China Card, even if it wasn't the end of Turn 10?

Did you have the China Card, and was the VP count 0 not counting that?


Yes indeed I had The China Card! could it be a tiebreaker .. ? VP count was at 0 not counting the CC.

But I remember that Wargames ends the game immediately ''without Final Scoring'' ... and the China Card is +1 VP during the Final Scoring Phase.

It's pretty confusing, though the rules imply that a game could well end in a draw.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Demetrius Mavrou
Greece
flag msg tools
Benkyo wrote:
As everyone else has mentioned, the game can end in a VP draw.

Playdek have stated that they deliberately designed their version to have no draws, and therefore awarded all VP ties to the US. I'd call this a "bad decision" rather than a "bug".

However, you claim to have won on a VP tie while playing as the USSR. That sounds like a bug. Were you playing the Late War Scenario? (I ask because the Late War Scenario Wargames win conditions are known to be buggy but I don't think anyone has ever won on a VP tie as the USSR in a standard game).


Yes it was a Late War Scenario. But anyway, besides the digital version the point is that in the original game there can be a draw! Thanks a lot! Next time it will happen, I will post (though unlikely; it only happened once in almost 300 games!).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O.Shane Balloun
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I will play as the Atreides, Bene Gesserit, Emperor, Fremen, Guild, or Harkonnen.
badge
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, my first game was a draw.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Vermilion0 wrote:
Yes it was a Late War Scenario. But anyway, besides the digital version the point is that in the original game there can be a draw! Thanks a lot! Next time it will happen, I will post (though unlikely; it only happened once in almost 300 games!).

Ah, that explains things. In the Late War Scenario, playing Wargames for the event as the US results in a loss. Playing Wargames for the event as the USSR should only result in a win if VPs end up in your favour. Perhaps they made another undocumented rule change and made a tie a win for the USSR in this scenario only (another "bad decision", rather than "bug"), or perhaps they still haven't sorted out the Late War Scenario win conditions and any play of Wargames by the USSR in this scenario is always a win, which I know was a bug at some point and may or may not still be one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with the same opponent every week. We had our first draw last week in our 184th game. Our second game that day was a 3 point USA win.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.