Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Mack
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm not sure if this has been addressed anywhere, but is there any suggestion as to what to do in the case where you run out of vault weapons when trading in NPC sets?

The last two games we had (3 players / 2 survivors each) it just always worked out where two of the players were able to snatch-up sets pretty quickly and drained the vault deck, leaving it empty for the next player. We house ruled it last night that the next player could rummage through the item deck and snag the first magic weapon they came across, but I'm looking for a more elegant solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When they're gone, they're gone. If your buddy needs a vault weapon, just exchange one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tex Hammack

Spanish Fork
Utah
msg tools
mb
If you absolutely feel you need any weapons after going through all of the vault weapons, including the extra ones if you have more than the base game, you could allow your players to search the Item Deck for 1 Item.

Other than that you are supposed to just tough it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Clansman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We found that the magic weapons from Wulfsberg were making the game too easy, so we added all of them to the Vault deck.

This also keeps the NPCs relevant throughout the game rather than having them simply dilute the walker cards in the mid-to-end game, once you've collected the limited number of vault weapons.

I've sleeved all our cards, so used the foreign language cards from the NPC box for the back and the WB weapon at the front. Although these are slightly thicker, they are visually identical (and if thickness became a problem, e.g. for random draws, one could double-card the original vault weapons as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
One option is to permanently remove the NPC's when you use them to get vault weapons. That way, there are fewer of them to spawn, making them more deadly as they start to get extra activations. Additionally, you can just limit each player to 1 vault weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that when you're out, you're out.

Because if you've got 4 vault weapons and you can't win the scenario...

... you might want to rethink your strategies, or tone down your custom spawn deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mack
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:

... you might want to rethink your strategies, or tone down your custom spawn deck.

It's not that we're having any issues with completing the scenarios, but more of that sense of achievement and bragging rights. Of course, everyone enjoys getting more epic gear and becoming a death dealing machine. It would just be nice to get a little something for slaughtering so many NPCs. As it is, I'm typically the person who is doing what I can to make the spawn decks as challenging as possible for my group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mack
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Clansman wrote:
We found that the magic weapons from Wulfsberg were making the game too easy, so we added all of them to the Vault deck.

This also keeps the NPCs relevant throughout the game rather than having them simply dilute the walker cards in the mid-to-end game, once you've collected the limited number of vault weapons.

I've sleeved all our cards, so used the foreign language cards from the NPC box for the back and the WB weapon at the front. Although these are slightly thicker, they are visually identical (and if thickness became a problem, e.g. for random draws, one could double-card the original vault weapons as well).

I was thinking of something along these lines. It does seem like some of those items you get from Wulfsburg are a wee bit overpowered and you can just get those based on a lucky search. Making them part of the Vault deck makes you work a little harder for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KenshinPhoto wrote:
mrsuitcase wrote:

It's not that we're having any issues with completing the scenarios, but more of that sense of achievement and bragging rights. Of course, everyone enjoys getting more epic gear and becoming a death dealing machine. It would just be nice to get a little something for slaughtering so many NPCs. As it is, I'm typically the person who is doing what I can to make the spawn decks as challenging as possible for my group.

That's cool. In that case:

I think some of the previous suggestions about picking out any item from the item deck are good, particularly if you've got Wolfsburg. Else, you could proxy the vault items from NPC set 2. Or if you want a physical card, purchase the set, or (cheaper) trade for someone's foreign language cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mack
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
KenshinPhoto wrote:
mrsuitcase wrote:

That's cool. In that case:

I think some of the previous suggestions about picking out any item from the item deck are good, particularly if you've got Wolfsburg. Else, you could proxy the vault items from NPC set 2. Or if you want a physical card, purchase the set, or (cheaper) trade for someone's foreign language cards.

I'll be honest, I didn't even realize the NPC 2 box came with additional cards. I'll have to snag that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
You could slightly reduce the number of NPC spawn cards to make it harder to get a vault weapon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mack
United States
Warrenton
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
You could slightly reduce the number of NPC spawn cards to make it harder to get a vault weapon.

I had considered doing that, because they did seem to come up a wee bit too frequently.

One thing I also discovered, the person who was putting the zombies on the board wasn't randomizing them. She was cherry picking which one's she put out there. Time to start making some randomization tokens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.