Subject: Seeking solo games. This or .. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the market for a new solo game. I have Elder Sign and I worry that AH overlaps too much. I've also considered A Touch e Evil and just getting Unseen Forces for ES. So this or Atoe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
A Touch of Evil is horrible, IMO. If you're only considering the two, definitely go with Arkham. I don't feel it overlaps with Elder Sign too much, though I own Arkham Horror and don't feel the need to ever purchase Elder Sign. Elder Sign is going to have an easier rules overhead than Arkham, but Arkham is the deeper, more fulfilling experience. Just realize that you're going to want to play at least 3 or 4 investigators if you go solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all 3. Very little overlap, I suggest. Your collection can tolerate all 3 (sorry!)

There is more in common, I think, betweem AH and AToE, then between either of those and ES - save of course in terms of theme.

Both AH/AToE have proper boards and movement around them is, in both cases, a key mechanic - not so with (base) ES. Likewise neither relies to any extent on dice rolling sets - though both are dice-heavy games. But the use of dice is wholly different.

Also: I'd go Eldritch Horror anyway. I think it's fired AH and for a newcomer, it's the obvious go to HPL boardgame. I know there are lots of AH afficionados (I'm one!) but if you haven't played either, EH is the easier game to learn and teach and play. Imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are willing to invest the time, there aren't any richer solo boardgaming experiences than Arkham Horror. It's been my favorite boardgame for many years and every time I play it I like it even more.

However, there are a lot of edge cases and rules overhead. So, if you are looking to get into something that isn't as complex, or will not take several 3-plus hour games to master, I would go with something else. Just keep in mind that you lose something in a game like this with less overhead to think about. Arkham is a game system with a lot of moving parts, but the experience is incredible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thank you guys for your suggestions. I already have thunder stone and Lotr dice game as well as ES. They fill certain game gremlin desires. The reason I was reluctantly about AH is theme and ES overlap. That's why I was looking at Atoe. Similar, lighter and a different theme. Robinson Crusoe through research did not seem to click with me and Aeons End though nice, seemed to overlap thunderstorms deck builder aspect. I meant only to get the base game so expansions were not considered. I had considered my options and AH kept coming in at the top though my overlap worry made me consider Eldritch Horror with a single expansion instead. I know that story and theme are paramount for solo play which is why these choices kept coming up. Any words that unquestionably convince me on this matter are greatly welcome. As for now I'm reading "The book of Cthulu" and also wrote a CYOA gamebook titled "The house of torment" though not published, sorta of a hobby project. All in all, I thank you guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure thing! I just played a couple solo games of base-game arkham horror this weekend and I can say it has had a lot of staying power for me. Hopefully you can find some great videos that would help you decide if it would be a good buy for you, or maybe you could demo it if you happen to be a convention-goer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the AH card game? Less setup than AH.

AH and ES don't overlap. AH is deeper in theme, but more complicated than EH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
A Touch of Evil is horrible, IMO.

Could you please explain why?

I really like Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, Elder Sign and Mansions of Madness, too. Looking for something similar, I'm thinking about buying A Touch of Evil.
Maybe your opinion will make me change my mind...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that a touch of Evil wasn't very good with just the base game. The expansions made it quite a bit better, but overall I still like Arkham more.

It was just too small, not much to do. Cards repeated very quickly (after just a couple games). It didn't seem as immersive as Arkham (mainly because it isn't).

Funny though I really like Flying Frogs other game Last Night on Earth. But It is completely different where A Touch of Evil and Arkham has a similar vibe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A.H. purchased. Yet to play it. Looks Goodwood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rkcpek wrote:
A.H. purchased. Yet to play it. Looks Goodwood.

Hope you enjoy it! Be sure to stop by the forums to share any things you really like or dislike, and eventually some of the variants you end up playing with if you really get into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A.H. is distinctly a good solo game. It is my most complex and lengthy solo to date. Setup is my only complaint though and with a box insert I hope to alleviate this. What would you suggest for an expansion that adds more story and theme without breaking solo play.

P.S. if anyone is curious are my lovecraftian game book I am always happy to chat up a storm and share what I got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rkcpek wrote:
A.H. is distinctly a good solo game. It is my most complex and lengthy solo to date. Setup is my only complaint though and with a box insert I hope to alleviate this. What would you suggest for an expansion that adds more story and theme without breaking solo play.

You will find a large variety of opinions on this as to what people really like. One thing you could do is just go in chronological order of release, or pick out what looks most interesting to you. Hopefully people with extensive expansion experience will chime in as well. Keep in mind that Miskatonic Horror isn't meant as an expansion on its own but rather provides more content for other expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.