5 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Star Spawn Adjacency and Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
julian hoddy
msg tools
Hey all,

So, are the girls adjacent for the purposes of a spawn attack? The text reads "attacks in space, or an adjacent space". I played 'yes' he attacked.

It was also a bit confusing for his movement as he ignores walls etc. Do you move him north to the hall , or west to the library, not diagonally straight into the girls spot? Typically, after worrying about his movement for a while, he decided to disappear and reappear somewhere completely different on the next turn anyway!

So we killed him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
juleshoddy wrote:
So, are the girls adjacent for the purposes of a spawn attack? The text reads "attacks in space, or an adjacent space". I played 'yes' he attacked.

It was also a bit confusing for his movement as he ignores walls etc. Do you move him north to the hall , or west to the library, not diagonally straight into the girls spot? Typically, after worrying about his movement for a while, he decided to disappear and reappear somewhere completely different on the next turn anyway!

Are you referring to the fact the Star Spawn has Flying?

Flying - This monster can move through impassable borders.

Walls are not impassable borders, walls are walls.

Or is your question based on the instructions given by the app?

As for being diagonal, current consensus is that diagonal spaces are not adjacent since they do not share an edge. See the definition of Border on P5 of the RR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some answers to all the minor queries raised....

Walls are indeed not impassable borders. Impassable borders are represented by dashed lines. Flying things can't move through walls.

Even if the Star Spawn could move through walls, diagonally connected spaces are never adjacent. Adjacent spaces share a border or wall, both of which are defined as being lines. Things connected at a corner only share a point, so they do not share a line, hence they are not adjacent.

If there are multiple spaces the monster could choose to move to, the investigators decide which one they'd prefer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
julian hoddy
msg tools
thanks guys, got that about the adjacency and shared lines. Just ignore shared points.

Re movement: I was playing shattered bonds and i'm pretty sure the movement instructions for this star spawn said it "moves 1 towards investigators ignoring walls and impassable borders". I could be wrong though, but i'm pretty sure it said that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juleshoddy wrote:
Re movement: I was playing shattered bonds and i'm pretty sure the movement instructions for this star spawn said it "moves 1 towards investigators ignoring walls and impassable borders". I could be wrong though, but i'm pretty sure it said that?

If so, it could move to either the Hall or the Library as you indicated. Investigators choose which.

I'd probably choose the library to avoid the Horror checks, but if the investigators have Ranged weapons and decent Will to eat the Horror Checks, they may choose the Hall to be able to use both actions to attack it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.