$35.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Few combat questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
-During the investigator's action phase, i dont get what is the difference between "fight" a monster or "engage" a monster?


-Also, when a monster untap(engage?) on his phase( because u evaded him on your turn), if theres an other investigator on his space, do the monster attacks him?, or if his turn end after untaping?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
123 Fake Street
msg tools
mbmbmb
#1 based on LotR, I think engage is usually when a monster is placed in front if you (from deck, or from location). Fight is when you make the check to attack or evade a creature. But I don't know what specific text you're thinking of so can't comment on the context.

#2, based on YouTube gameplay demonstration, it looked like a creature that had been evaded, and therefore moved out of your engagement area and placed at a location (tapped), will reengage a player at that location as soon as it untaps. If there are multiple investigators at that location, usually the lead investigator chooses which player it engages. If the creature has the "prey" attribute it will instead engage the player with the least health.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kim
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There will probably be some situations where an investigator will want to initiate an engagement with an enemy. Like an ability or effect that only works when engaged but it's engaged with another player. Or if the other player is low on health/sanity and failed to evade and you have to get its attention.

Attacking is just that, you can attack monsters at your location regardless if they are engaged with you or not.

When an enemy is active they will engage with a player or will move if they have the "hunt" ability and there are no investigators in the room. If it does have "Prey" the prey ability actually states what to target, not always just lowest health. For example one creature targets the player with the most Fight. Otherwise the lead investigator or the group decides which player is engaged.

It seems the basic way to exhaust an enemy is to pass the evasion check. Thematically I think of this meaning you lose the enemy and they are preoccupied looking for you or tired out. When the enemy is exhausted (tapped) it's not considered to be engaged with anyone and will not activate during the enemy step. There is a step when all cards refresh including the enemies and that's when they re-engage with the investigators.

I'm pretty sure that is all accurate. I have not played the game or read the entire rule book. Just watched the demo videos more times than I care to admit as well as the snippets of the rules that have been posted in various places. As well as some of the concepts are familiar to other LCGs or adventure card games like Warhammer Quest, which I have played.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
He is referring to the "engage" action on the reference card I believe.

We don't know entirely what the "engage" action is for yet. Fight is attacking a monster engage with someone (with risk of damaging the other player if engaged with them), our best guess is the engage action lets you specifically engage an enemy to remove the enemy from your opponent.

Enemies attack only if unexhausted, the monster attack step happens before the refresh phase (where all cards unexhaust) so it will not attack anyone the turn you evade and exhaust it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brady Sadler
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
He is referring to the "engage" action on the reference card I believe.

We don't know entirely what the "engage" action is for yet. Fight is attacking a monster engage with someone (with risk of damaging the other player if engaged with them), our best guess is the engage action lets you specifically engage an enemy to remove the enemy from your opponent.

Enemies attack only if unexhausted, the monster attack step happens before the refresh phase (where all cards unexhaust) so it will not attack anyone the turn you evade and exhaust it.


We actually do know what the "engage" action is (it's been featured in a lot of the gameplay videos). Engaging lets you put an enemy at your location (including engaged with another investigator in your location) in your engagement area (in front of your play area). This means you'll be able to attack that enemy, and that enemy won't attack the other player or will not trigger its "Hunter" keyword and move around the map.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. Sounds like the engage mechanism from Warhammer ACG. Which is good to hear 'cause its fun
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
ok i understand now, the mechanic seems interesting!



off topic question:

since it takes ressources to activates cards, doesnt the rogue class seems overpowered ? I am thinking of the cards that gives you 10 ressources :O
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course this is a powerful card, but it also costs a lot of XP to add it to your deck and costs 3 resources to play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kim
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
off topic question:

since it takes ressources to activates cards, doesnt the rogue class seems overpowered ? I am thinking of the cards that gives you 10 ressources :O


It's a trade off. Sure the Rogues can get lots of resources and actions but they may not be as good at other tasks needed to complete the scenarios such obtaining clues or fighting off monsters. They may have to spend all those resources to accomplish tasks other classes will have an easier time with or perhaps they can spend those actions supporting other characters.
It doesn't seem so far that any one class can dominate the game alone, although Roland's ability to gain clues after defeating enemies seems pretty strong as you are accomplishing two important things at the same time.
Rogues will be the rich class but it also depends on what they can do with those resources that will determine their strength.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you guys

I cant wait FFG to release the game/rules to hav e answers to my infinite questions lol (Like: why is the upgraded magnifying glasse has "Return magnifying glasse yo your hand" isn't it a permanent effect?)




Anyway, I am so excited about this game!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
Thank you guys

I cant wait FFG to release the game/rules to hav e answers to my infinite questions lol (Like: why is the upgraded magnifying glasse has "Return magnifying glasse yo your hand" isn't it a permanent effect?)




Anyway, I am so excited about this game!



Actually, I can answer that right now. The magnifying glass takes up a hand slot to use. With the base version, if you want to put something else in your hand, you'll have to discard the magnifying glass. With the upgraded version, when it's no longer useful (you don't need it if there are no clues to find) it bounces back to your hand to use at a later time. Plus since it's fast, it doesn't take an action to play.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Doma0997 wrote:
Actually, I can answer that right now. The magnifying glass takes up a hand slot to use. With the base version, if you want to put something else in your hand, you'll have to discard the magnifying glass. With the upgraded version, when it's no longer useful (you don't need it if there are no clues to find) it bounces back to your hand to use at a later time. Plus since it's fast, it doesn't take an action to play.


I think there's an additional small benefit to mention here.

When modifying skill checks using the symbols on the top left of a card, the modifying cards must be discarded from your hand. I believe an asset which is already in your play area isn't classed as being in hand, so would not be available for modifying skill checks. As such, the upgraded magnifying glass can, after you've exhausted its Investigation utility, be bumped back to hand and, if needed in a pinch, discarded for some other general Lore skill check.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
strayknife wrote:
Kamakaze wrote:
He is referring to the "engage" action on the reference card I believe.

We don't know entirely what the "engage" action is for yet. Fight is attacking a monster engage with someone (with risk of damaging the other player if engaged with them), our best guess is the engage action lets you specifically engage an enemy to remove the enemy from your opponent.

Enemies attack only if unexhausted, the monster attack step happens before the refresh phase (where all cards unexhaust) so it will not attack anyone the turn you evade and exhaust it.


We actually do know what the "engage" action is (it's been featured in a lot of the gameplay videos). Engaging lets you put an enemy at your location (including engaged with another investigator in your location) in your engagement area (in front of your play area). This means you'll be able to attack that enemy, and that enemy won't attack the other player or will not trigger its "Hunter" keyword and move around the map.


This. I did it last night to take a monster off the other investigator.

FFG does have the Rules/RRG released on their website.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.