Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Benson
United States
Pleasanton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone taken a game that has already been designed and tried to re-theme it to meet content standards in a classroom?

I was wondering about doing something like that. I was also wondering what games might work well to do such a thing.

Some thoughts I had:
Re-themed Forbidden Island to somehow function around the Gold Rush but also somehow incorporating conflict with natives, chinese, or... maybe you are the chinese and you run into conflict with white miners.

Small World. Not sure how, but some kind of territorial conflict.

Settlers of America: Trails to Rails. Was thinking of expanding this to where you migrate west but the tiles you turn are either places for mines, or ranches, or natives, once you arrive west via wagon you work on building railways across the land but you have to either slow down for mountains or have conflict with natives.

I know the game Tammany Hall exists but I would like to make something like that not just be some area control game.

So, has anyone re-themed or modified existing games for the classroom?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Petty
United States
Lapeer
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Here's the thread I recently posted about doing this with Love Letter. I intentionally picked a small, quick game so it could be used in many classes.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1641443/game-design-acti...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Pleasanton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpetty31 wrote:
Here's the thread I recently posted about doing this with Love Letter. I intentionally picked a small, quick game so it could be used in many classes.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1641443/game-design-acti...

That's actually a rather good idea. I think I as thinking too big. I think simplicity would be better, like, redesign Machi Koro for the 1800's and the rise of cities or maybe redesign For Sale for the Gilded Age or something. I need to look into very simple but successful games.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a quick re-skin of The Resistance for my US History class (making it a Red Scare / McCarthyism lesson). There aren't many parts to the game, so all it took was some prep-period Photoshopping, using some era artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well you should check out Vinci. Its the original* small world, much more grounded in realism, perhaps that will help?

For trails to rails I feel like you could introduce an extra explorer unit and some type of fog of the unexplored.

I haven't ever re-themed a game for class, just presented it in a different light. My bro-in-law did play a few games of diplomacy through college and one of the rounds this did try to add some WW1 spin on it like having starting and ending conditions that matched with history or something, but I'm not a fan of the game so I don't remember the specifics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.