Subject: Buying older games at Spiel? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filip Lazov
Macedonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I know Essen is all about the new and shiny games, however I am curious if there are any retailers / dealers / shops at the fair that sell variety of older titles (not published this year) ?
I tried searching on this topic but with no results, is there maybe a list somewhere of such booths if present at Spiel at all?

Thanks !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
vojnikMon wrote:
Hello,

I know Essen is all about the new and shiny games, however I am curious if there are any retailers / dealers / shops at the fair that sell variety of older titles (not published this year) ?
I tried searching on this topic but with no results, is there maybe a list somewhere of such booths if present at Spiel at all?

Thanks !

There will be lots of dealers with lots of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are also lots of even older games but they tend not to be in English
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of older games to buy each year. Some are on clearance, so very cheap, others will be still at normal price. You can even get old used games at several booths (that all look very similar).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
And those booths know what they have, so don't expect to find gems for little. In fact, it's not unheard of to find a new sealed box at a clearence sale for less than at the used games booths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Lazov
Macedonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are those retailers / 2nd hand booths saturated in some specific area / hall or they are all scattered around?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year the 2nd hand booths were all in the same area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
General retailers are scattered throughout the halls (entry to hall 1, entry to hall 3, some in hall 2, and then here and there); 2nd hand booths are concentrated in one place. Where I do not know because this year two new halls have been added, and they don't seem to be in their usual place in hall 1. (That said, I'm quite sleepy ATM, so I may not have been looking all that precisely.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you know your local prices though. The prices at the retail booths often look very attractive, but depending on the game and where you live, your FLGS/OLGS might still be cheaper. It's all too easy to get caught up in the buying frenzy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Åge Låstad
Norway
Bergen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience the best deals on older games are from heidelberger and spiel offensive, but a lot of their stock is in German only. Mayfair games also stock some of their older titles, usually at pretty good prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Traitor76 wrote:
In my experience the best deals on older games are from heidelberger and spiel offensive, but a lot of their stock is in German only. Mayfair games also stock some of their older titles, usually at pretty good prices.

Sorry if it's obvious but many games are language independent (check the game page at BGG) so if you don't mind downloading and printing English rules, go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Lazov
Macedonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nhjelmberg wrote:
Traitor76 wrote:

Sorry if it's obvious but many games are language independent (check the game page at BGG) so if you don't mind downloading and printing English rules, go for it!

The majority of older titles I am looking for are fortunately language independent which is great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.