Peloponnes Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Several Questions about Catastrophes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Chapman
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Looking through the other threads I didn't find answers to the following questions (I apologize if I missed them):
1) Can a given card suffer multiple catastrophes? For example, could a card be hit by Drought and Tempest?
2) Drought affects the highest grain producing Building OR Landscape card? It seems odd that my Bridge could have a Drought.
3) Does your Civilization Card count as a Landscape card?
4) If a card is hit by Drought and you cover it with a coin, does it later count for purposes of Tempest? For example, I have four landscape cards. One gets hit by Drought and is covered with a coin. Later, Tempest occurs. Do I only have to cover 1 of the landscape cards with a coin (3/3 = 1) or 2 (4/3 = 1.333 round up)?

I think that's all. My guesses for answers are No, Yes, No, No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm inclined to agree with your guesses. [EDIT: And I would be wrong on a couple! ]

Thematically, the bridge might represent your access to a neighboring area's agricultural production. During a drought, that area wouldn't produce, so your bridge wouldn't help you get food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Let's give you the answers:

1) Can a given card suffer multiple catastrophes? For example, could a card be hit by Drought and Tempest?

Yes!

2) Drought affects the highest grain producing Building OR Landscape card? It seems odd that my Bridge could have a Drought.

Yes, building or landscape. Sure, the bridge cannot have "drought", but the pruduction of the "bridge-card" is affected.

3) Does your Civilization Card count as a Landscape card?

No - it can only be affected by the plague!

4) If a card is hit by Drought and you cover it with a coin, does it later count for purposes of Tempest? For example, I have four landscape cards. One gets hit by Drought and is covered with a coin. Later, Tempest occurs. Do I only have to cover 1 of the landscape cards with a coin (3/3 = 1) or 2 (4/3 = 1.333 round up)?

Yes, as long as you have the card, it counts. Always round up!

Hope this is well for you.

greetings
Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow, I didn't realise a card can be hit with more than one catastrophe. I guess that can be useful sometimes if one card has already been hit by a catastrophe, to save you having to take out another card if you can choose the one already covered.

However, I suppose that if you are hit by a tempest or earthquake first, then the drought couldn't apply to the same card because it would no longer be producing any grain, right? But I guess a drought, then a tempest or earthquake would be fine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

"However, I suppose that if you are hit by a tempest or earthquake first, then the drought couldn't apply to the same card because it would no longer be producing any grain, right? But I guess a drought, then a tempest or earthquake would be fine... "

That's right

Bernd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Chapman
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick responses. I've always enjoyed this game, and really like the Card version (it is more portable and fits on the shelf better). I hope to buy the expansion sometime if it hits US shelves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.