Subject: Eldritch Horror: Weight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One of the things I like to consider when purchasing a game is the BGG complexity (weight scale). The reason for this is I consider myself an experienced gamer, but most of the people I play games with are not, with a few exceptions. Therefore, I like to consider the "weight" rating on some games before a purchase is made.

My novice gaming group has enjoyed Eldritch Horror on multiple plays, and we've won a few games as well. I taught the game to our group in what seemed to be about 10 minutes and we were off and running. So, it came as a surprise to me when I see this game listed as a 3.32 on the weight scale, which falls right around a medium/medium heavy. Compare this to another game that my group enjoys, Descent 2nd Edition, which took a lot of rules clarification and referencing during the entire campaign, and that clocks in at a 3.18

My question is, could this be due to expansion content adding new rules and complexity? If so, are expansions supposed to be factored in to the weight scale? I truly feel that this is not a complicated base game, and I'm by no means any sort of board game guru when it comes to rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never thought of the weight as meaning complexity of rules, but more depth of decision making within the game. Maybe that's just me. But given that as a definition, slightly more than medium seems about right to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oded K
msg tools
You should also consider that the complexity behaves differently when playing cooperative games.
It's entirely possible to play Eldritch Horror with little problem even if only one player has a full grasp of the rules and the rest only have a general idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pseudonym100 wrote:
You should also consider that the complexity behaves differently when playing cooperative games.
It's entirely possible to play Eldritch Horror with little problem even if only one player has a full grasp of the rules and the rest only have a general idea.

I agree wholeheartedly. I learned EH from the rulebook and had my share of problems at the outset before getting all the main rules and their interactions. After that it's been a fairly straightforward game that just needs the occasional rules clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glorious Strategist wrote:
My question is, could this be due to expansion content adding new rules and complexity? If so, are expansions supposed to be factored in to the weight scale? I truly feel that this is not a complicated base game, and I'm by no means any sort of board game guru when it comes to rules.
Take a look at /wiki/page/Weight. Weight isn't just about rules complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
It can be a little finnicky at times, but for the most part the rules aren't too bad at all- just played recently with my wife, and she caught on really quickly.

The game comes with reference cards that outline each action an investigator can take each turn. So, once players understand the actions possible, it's pretty easy for them to pick what to do. In fact, I'd say that the game is almost misleadingly easy to learn- it looks like a lot, but the simple mechanics of the game aren't bad at all. As the game owner, I'd encourage you to familiarize yourself with all of the mechanics of the game (like combat and various errata) to help guide and teach your group some of the more complex things, but they should catch on pretty fast.

Now, as some here have mentioned, that's certainly not to say that this is an easy game! The whole point is to beat Ancient Ones, so these monsters are going to be difficult to take down- otherwise, what's the point? There is a lot of strategy to this. For your first few games, I'd suggest letting your group know that you're probably going to lose- and that's okay! The fun of the game is in the adventure that you have, and sometimes even in laughing at the terrible situations that you get yourselves in. It's way more fun to have a sense of humor than to get frustrated, and if you do end up winning it will be all the more satisfying.

In this way, I think Eldritch Horror is a lot like the videogame Left 4 Dead. It's easy to learn and a ton of fun, but it can be difficult as well, and that's also part of the fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a bit off the main topic: I find this game to be easy to play......now, because I've played it a bunch of times. the weight listed is okay for me, actually, it doesn't much matter to me. It's fun to play, I just can't get anyone else to play it because it's hard when you look at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.