Subject: Thinking Monk Studio - Designs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Gatsche
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Hello fellow board game geeks,

I am posting this as a way to start showing my design work, and get feedback from a community of like minded designers so I can become a better... wait for it... designer.

I have been designing artwork for board games, t-shirts, websites, and photo-tweaking for around 8 years now. I never went to school for it, but I love doing it and a lot of people have told me I'm pretty good at what I do, all-be-it slower than frozen molasses at times.

So again I hope to be posting a lot of my designs that I am currently working on, as well as future projects and ideas to be able to get as much feedback as possible. I am a negative re-enforcement kind of person. So if you tell me (honestly) that something sucks and needs to be tossed in the garbage (and given everyone kind of feels the same)I will fix myself and just become better. Also, I am a perfectionist. If I see someone made something out there of the same product that looks better than mine, I am likely going to stay awake the next 3 days making mine even better.

If ever someone wants to request I make a certain game (like re-making the designs of a game) feel free to ask. I have a laser cutter, and a cnc machine that I do most of my game boards on once they are designed.

I do not yet have my website up and running, but I have started a company called "Thinking Monk Studios". If you are asking yourself (why the hell a monk?)... my answer to you is "monks... are... awesome". I am working on a company log... but so far I have scrapped all 20+ designs as I am not happy with them. Once I have a few I like I will share for your opinions.

So without further ado, thank you, and I look forward to everyone's feedback.

Sincerely,
A Thinking Monk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gatsche
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
So, after struggling to get my business partner to take an even half way decent photo of the cut out design, I finally got a mediocre picture of what I really wanted. In case you are wondering why I am not taking the photo myself, it's because the laser cutter in in the US, I am living in NZ at the moment.

Anyways, a project I have been working on for a few months now is starting to come to it's fruition. It is custom catan pieces with my artwork designs on the hex's.

Please let me know what you think, and if you have any thoughts/ideas for changing/adding to this. Keep in mind for this particular project, I only want to work with vector(line) cuts, and no raster cuts. This is the "wheat". I have the others finished, but those pictures fail in epic proportions so I will be posting those hopefully tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gatsche
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
OK so, here is the "whole" board. The edges around the board are not laser cut yet. But there will be engravings on those as well. The colors are not real as of yet, they are just photoshoped on there. Sorry about the image quality, still trying to get better photos taken but life has been busy this week.

All of the terrain tiles are in this picture.

You cannot use this photo or any aspect of this photo for any purpose without my express consent.

Let me know what you think!

- A Thinking Monk -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thinking Monk wrote:

Let me know what you think!

Ok, since you asked...

The detail looks very pretty! Very ornate.

But this doesn't always translate to useful gaming. The board feels bland and too abstract. It no longer feels like "land" where I'm building things and harvesting resources.

Also, the land numbers don't stand out and are lost, making searching for numbers after a dice roll a bit tedious.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:

The detail looks very pretty! Very ornate.

But this doesn't always translate to useful gaming. The board feels bland and too abstract. It no longer feels like "land" where I'm building things and harvesting resources.

Also, the land numbers don't stand out and are lost, making searching for numbers after a dice roll a bit tedious.

I think this is the difference between ART and GRAPHIC DESIGN. The latter's purpose is functionality - whatever the mechanic you're performing is, the design should aid and make it intuitive as much as possible. Also, to aid theme immersion as you suggest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.