Hide
15 Posts

Five Tribes» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dijjn Pay to Activate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Perry
msg tools
So, it seems we've been playing under the assumption, because of the Djinn cost, That the "activation cost" was a one time thing. Once you've payed to activate it, you can use it at any time on your turn.

Every game has gone pretty smooth this way, until we came across the Djinn Sloar, whose activation cost is 1 Fakir, that allows you to take one card from the top of the resource pile.

The group agreed, to re-use this power I would need to spend a Fakir card every time I wanted a new card from the resource pile.

Thus, came into question, the previous way we've been playing, the one time activation fee way.

Thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M.
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play that you can use each of your Djinns once per turn, on your turn, and you must pay the activation cost every time you use the Djinn. I'm fairly certain that this once-per-turn per Djinn limit is the rule.

So, Sloar would not allow you to get free resource cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Looking for resources in how to grow in friendship, unity, and/or intimacy in marriage? - Ask me!
badge
More Woo-Hoo Gamer reviews coming throughout 2017!
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the Djinn. In the example you shared, you'd have to pay a fakir card to receive a resource card. Another Djinn that gives you the ability to receive coins whenever you / another player take white Meeple, is automatic. It really depends on the Djinn, and the Player Aid provides a pretty good summary of what each can do.

The rulebook also states you can only use a Djinn one time per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the djinn has an activation cost, then you must pay it every time you use it. You may only activate each djinn once per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin LB
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Djinns that have activation costs can only be used once per turn. And of course, you have to pay the cost each time you do use it.

Djinns that have no activation costs can be used as many times as needed. This is for example the case for Djinns that give you coins each time someone drops a meeple on a tile that you own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to add to this, you can differentiate a Djinn that has a cost from one that does not, by looking to see if there is an icon of a white elder or slave/fakir (or both). If these icons aren't on the Djinn card then the ability is passive and always takes effect when the condition occurs (you don't have to pay for it to happen).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played today and someone asked this question, which applies only to Djinns that have a cost to use (once per turn). Do you have to land on a tile that would allow you to acquire a Djinn, in order to pay for a Djinn power you previosly acquired?

Seems like it takes the use out of it, but we couldn't actually find which phase of your turn you should do it on when you want to pay the Djinn power cost.

I was wanting to pay the 2 Elders to place a camel on an empty tile (I had that Djinn). When? Any time?

The time doesn't matter -- it's just that in looking for it in the rules, it started to look like you might have to have the Djinn tile action to use these Djinns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
We played today and someone asked this question, which applies only to Djinns that have a cost to use (once per turn). Do you have to land on a tile that would allow you to acquire a Djinn, in order to pay for a Djinn power you previosly acquired?

Seems like it takes the use out of it, but we couldn't actually find which phase of your turn you should do it on when you want to pay the Djinn power cost.

I was wanting to pay the 2 Elders to place a camel on an empty tile (I had that Djinn). When? Any time?

The time doesn't matter -- it's just that in looking for it in the rules, it started to look like you might have to have the Djinn tile action to use these Djinns.

Here's the relevant section of the rules:

Some special powers have a cost to use: in this case, they can only be used once per turn, only during the turn of the player who controls the Djinn.

There's no mention of having to land on any particular tile. The Djinn's description will show what other conditions have to be met.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SeiyaSagitario España
Spain
Marchamalo
Guadalajara
flag msg tools
mbmb
I want back to question made by Race Bannon:

I think Djinn power that have a cost, only can be used when you land on a sacred tile.

That's why the special rules are in the section of explanation of the tiles. The special rule of Sacred tile indicates that you can also pay your activation cost when you buy it. If you could always pay the cost of a Djinn anytime in your turn, it would not be necessary to indicate this situation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeiyaSagitario wrote:

I think Djinn power that have a cost, only can be used when you land on a sacred tile.

That's why the special rules are in the section of explanation of the tiles. The special rule of Sacred tile indicates that you can also pay your activation cost when you buy it. If you could always pay the cost of a Djinn anytime in your turn, it would not be necessary to indicate this situation

No, you can always use them on your turn...you don't have to land on a sacred tile to activate them.

That part in the special section just indicates that you can use the card right away. Some games might make you wait until your next turn to use a special card that you just acquired. This is just indicating it's immediately available for use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SeiyaSagitario España
Spain
Marchamalo
Guadalajara
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Amick
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeiyaSagitario wrote:

The djinn Lamia is useless with your interpretation. How can anyone build a palm tree on an adjacent tile if they have to land on a sacred tile, which does not allow building a palm tree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hesford
France
Trouillas
France
flag msg tools
The rule is confusing. It says you can only use the power during the turn of the player controlling the djinn. So, if the player who bought the djinn doesn't use its power, can another player pay the cost and invoke the power?

Also, the tile for Djinn invoking is confusing. It may be interpreted that you can only use Djinn cards when landing on a Djinn tile. In which case, can you spend your whites/fakirs to buy as many as you can afford and also invoke as many of their powers?

I've played with different interpretations and they all work in some regard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles with the djinn symbol are an optional action that lets you buy 1 Djinn on your turn. Why only one?? Becase on your turn after doing the meeple action you can do the tile action. You can only do tile actions once.

As soon as you buy a djinn you have the chance to use its power if you pay the cost (and if the action applies). You can only use djinns which you have recruited ON YOUR TURN when it applies. You cannot use a djinn that someone else has acquired for any reason.

You are able to use as many of your djinns as you can pay for but you can only use their powers once per turn.

These are all rules from the rulebook and Bruno Cathala has confirmed them at one point or another in time. I've read the English rules several times and it makes perfect sense. Maybe when translated in other languages its worded in a way that causes confusion I'm not sure... but I assure you that the above rules I mentioned are correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.