$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Talking to NPCs, Ritual Dagger, Innsmouth movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
Apologies if these have been answered elsewhere (or even in the rules and I've overlooked them). I have read through a lot of threads and didn't find any answers.

1. Talking to NPCs. Do you need to be in the same space as them? I often click on search tokens to get a sense of whether I actually want to spend movement to go over and get into it. Similarly, I want to click on NPCs even when I'm not in the same space as them. Often there are options for talking to them that don't require an action. I just can't work out if I'm playing incorrectly.

2. Ritual Dagger allows the character to roll an extra dice when casting a spell. Does this include any tests, if any, are on the flip side of the spell, or is it only tests associated with actually playing (casting) it? I'm not even sure if there are tests on any of the reverse sides of spells, but a number of spells are actions that don't even require a dice roll to play them in the first instance.

3. In Escape from Innsmouth:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Can characters move from the right half of the Rental Dock onto the Houseboat tile for one movement point? On previous solo playthroughs it never even occurred to me that I might be able to do that, so when I played it with a friend and he said 'Why not?', I didn't have an answer. I had just assumed that you boarded the boat from the top space of Dock 2.


I feel like I'm forgetting other questions, but this will do for now.

Thanks in advance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFool wrote:
1. Talking to NPCs. Do you need to be in the same space as them? I often click on search tokens to get a sense of whether I actually want to spend movement to go over and get into it. Similarly, I want to click on NPCs even when I'm not in the same space as them. Often there are options for talking to them that don't require an action. I just can't work out if I'm playing incorrectly.

I believe you can perform non-action interactions with them. I've certainly wondered the same thing, as sometimes it seems odd.

The rules only seem to say:
RRG - Person wrote:
An investigator can perform an interact action of a Person only
if he occupies the same space as that Person.

But they are also clear that choosing a non-action option on a Person is not an Interact Action.

DreadFool wrote:
2. Ritual Dagger allows the character to roll an extra dice when casting a spell. Does this include any tests, if any, are on the flip side of the spell, or is it only tests associated with actually playing (casting) it? I'm not even sure if there are tests on any of the reverse sides of spells, but a number of spells are actions that don't even require a dice roll to play them in the first instance.

There definitely are such tests, but only on non-combat Spells if I remember correctly. I would allow Ritual Dagger to help with them too.

DreadFool wrote:
3. In Escape from Innsmouth:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Can characters move from the right half of the Rental Dock onto the Houseboat tile for one movement point? On previous solo playthroughs it never even occurred to me that I might be able to do that, so when I played it with a friend and he said 'Why not?', I didn't have an answer. I had just assumed that you boarded the boat from the top space of Dock 2.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Yes (provided the app's images of the map are correct). The edges are white and solid, so you can move from any of the adjacent spaces to them. There are actually three spaces that you can move to the front of the Houseboat from.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
.

The rules only seem to say:
RRG - Person wrote:
An investigator can perform an interact action of a Person only
if he occupies the same space as that Person.

But they are also clear that choosing a non-action option on a Person is not an Interact Action.


So I can talk to an NPC without spending an action? I have to check that out in the app next time (I assume it would have an action arrow, or not). Didn't spot that last time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
simondtaylor wrote:
So I can talk to an NPC without spending an action? I have to check that out in the app next time (I assume it would have an action arrow, or not). Didn't spot that last time.

Yes, but you mostly won't get any useful information out of them if it doesn't cost an option.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always click on any object on the app. Only when it shows the action symbol do you need to be in the same space and need to have an action available to spend.

This may be weird indeed, but is no less weird than spotting a painting on the wall when you are nowhere near it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Harlan

Oregon
msg tools
mb
Vardaine wrote:
You can always click on any object on the app. Only when it shows the action symbol do you need to be in the same space and need to have an action available to spend.

This may be weird indeed, but is no less weird than spotting a painting on the wall when you are nowhere near it.

"My good fellows! We have scant opened this door, but my keen senses tell me that along this corridor, around that corner ahead, somebody has scattered papers willy-nilly. Mayhaps we should check them."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.