$15.00
$5.00
John Gulla
United States
Coral Gables
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After concluding an auction recently wherein a certain bgg user was the high bidder, the user is subsequently not responding to my attempts to contact him via GM regarding the sales.

While this is mildly concerning in itself, what is much more upsetting is that this user is still extremely active and bidding in multiple other, more recent auctions.

Even as an experienced bgg seller/auctioneer, i'm unsure of how to deal with this. I've attempted to contact the user via GM multiple times, checking the user name to be sure I've contacted the right person.

Fortunately, I've lost nothing, but don't want other sellers to be negatively effected by such behavior. I can't leave negative feedback, however, because the user never completed the purchase!

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

(Edit: Edited to obscure some details in order to keep the user's info private.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What to do about an intentionally unresponsive winning bidder in bgg auction?
johnag68 wrote:

After concluding an auction recently wherein a certain bgg user won multiple items, the user is subsequently not responding to my attempts to contact him via GM regarding the sales.

While this is mildly concerning in itself, what is much more upsetting is that this user is still active and bidding in multiple other, more recent auctions.

Even as an experienced bgg seller/auctioneer, i'm unsure of how to deal with this.
I've attempted to contact the user via GM multiple times, checking the user name to be sure I've contacted the right person. It's a relatively new account (couple months).

Fortunately, I've lost nothing, but don't want other sellers to be negatively effected by such behavior. I can't leave negative feedback, however, because the user never completed the purchase!

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Contact BGG admins, I believe

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb

Also, if this user was now bidding in my auction, I would personally appreciate the courtesy of a GM about previous unresponsiveness since, as you note, feedback is not applicable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Arthurs
United States
Simpsonville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What to do about an intentionally unresponsive winning bidder in bgg auction?
It happens quite often. I'd suggest messaging the 2nd place bidder and asking if they were interested. Otherwise... move along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How long has it been?

Depending upon that, I'd send one last geekmail with a subject line of "Two days to reply or bids revoked", and if you don't hear from him before whatever deadline you impose, comment on each item and offer it to the next highest bidder before him and see if you can sell the items that way.

Otherwise, just re-list them in a future auction (or stick them in the marketplace at his price passively until such time as another auction comes).

As you noted, you haven't suffered anything tangible aside from time lost and missed opportunity to sell to someone else, which you may be able to recapture in a second chance.

As far as making sure he doesn't screw with other auctions, you can send a message to Octavian. Depending upon what exactly went down, this MIGHT fall under the Step 4 of the Trade Dispute process:

Quote:
Admins can, however, lock users out of accessing features like the trade manager and the marketplace so if it is determined that someone has abused the system they can be prevented from doing any more business on BGG until they resolve their issues.

Just be very careful what you discuss in the forums because the fundamental rule of that process is to NOT discuss details in public.

Personally, I'd recommend editing your initial post at least to an extent to just indicate a user is being non-communicative, and leave it at that, so no one can "deduce" who the user is from context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnag68 wrote:

After concluding an auction recently wherein a certain bgg user won multiple items, the user is subsequently not responding to my attempts to contact him via GM regarding the sales.

While this is mildly concerning in itself, what is much more upsetting is that this user is still active and bidding in multiple other, more recent auctions.

Even as an experienced bgg seller/auctioneer, i'm unsure of how to deal with this.
I've attempted to contact the user via GM multiple times, checking the user name to be sure I've contacted the right person. It's a relatively new account (couple months).

If they are falling outside the terms of your auction, such as respond within X days of you contacting them, then they may be a concern for your sales and for other sellers. I would send a nice PM to the other auctioneers just to give them a heads up, then let them decide on what to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enemyoftheworld wrote:

Also, if this user was now bidding in my auction, I would personally appreciate the courtesy of a GM about previous unresponsiveness since, as you note, feedback is not applicable.

While the policy only explicitly names the forums as a place to avoid, I'd avoid doing this as well because this may also arise the ire of the admins. As much as it'd be nice to the people auctioning things off.

As a math trade moderator, it frustrates me that we cannot share info with each other about users who cause issues in math trades; and those are far harder to untangle than an auction, where as noted you can just move down the list.

But the policy is the policy. This wouldn't be much different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without naming user accounts, there is one of your bidders that really has had a flurry of buying activity in just several days, which could be normal or not. Perhaps they are just overwhelmed by the number of purchases and are losing track.

The activity does seem quite high to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lautermilch
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
High auction activity in and of itself is not a bad sign and the unresponsiveness could be for very legitimate reasons but of course you know the situation better. For myself and I do get involved with lots of bidding and currently I am bidding in 5 auctions with a total of 18 games being bid on. I write everything down. The auctioneer, the date the auction ends the games I'm bidding on and the current bid. When the auction is over I wait to hear from the auctioneer and if it was a really large auction I know I need to be patient because it can take a while. If I haven't heard in three days I send a polite message letting know I'm out here waiting for his information and that usually does the trick. I agree sending another email is a good idea and if still nothing then offer them to the other bidders or save them for another auction. I realize a multitude of things can go wrong but sometimes it's just out of your control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gulla
United States
Coral Gables
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How long has it been?

Auction ended Wednesday evening. Contact was sent Thursday, Friday, and early this morning. No response whatsoever.

Moreover, the terms of my auction do state that bidders should arrange for payment within 48 hours of the end of the auction, unless otherwise agreed to beforehand via GM.

I did go ahead and edit the initial post, per your advice. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnag68 wrote:
Quote:
How long has it been?

Auction ended Wednesday evening. Contact was sent Thursday, Friday, and early this morning. No response whatsoever.

Moreover, the terms of my auction do state that bidders should arrange for payment within 48 hours of the end of the auction, unless otherwise agreed to beforehand via GM.

I did go ahead and edit the initial post, per your advice. Thanks.

Gotcha. Yeah, I'd send a geekmail now and state that unless you hear otherwise within 24 hours, you'll be offering all of his items to the next highest bidder. Then just do it, and I'd forward that geekmail to Octavian along with a brief blurb about what is going on.

And then I'd just carry on. The last thing you want is to end up with trouble of your own over this. If this is a bigger issue, Octavian will take care of it. He's pretty good about doing it--I've had many interactions with him over the years (again usually with MT issues that have gone awry).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided after my last auction, in which FIVE BIDDERS just refused to pay up, that I wasn't doing auctions anymore. People are assholes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I believe that BGG auctions are pretty much unenforceable on both sides.

I just discovered today that a guy who ran a geeklist auction 3 weeks ago basically screwed everyone in the auction.

Right after it ended, and after he confirmed through geekmarket all the sales, he canceled all of them. He claimed he suddenly became far too busy at work to ship anything out.

I just happened to check his account this morning, and sure enough all the games I had bought were marked as "previously owned", just yesterday in fact. He obviously found better deals, after having realized he probably low-balled all his BGG auction BIN amounts.

Sucks, but I don't think BGG can or will do anything about this kind of thing. It's not eBay, obviously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Yeah, I've done a couple auctions, mostly for low-value stuff, and I always have a couple of bidders who never complete their purchases. I just kind of expect that, in the informal environment of the BGG auction, this is going to happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
I decided after my last auction, in which FIVE BIDDERS just refused to pay up, that I wasn't doing auctions anymore. People are assholes.

Sorry to hear that. I keep a geeklist of bad bidders, for personal reference. It helps to refer to that list for future auctions/sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
nomoredroids wrote:

Sorry to hear that. I keep a geeklist of bad bidders, for personal reference. It helps to refer to that list for future auctions/sales.

I thought about doing that, but auctions take a lot of time and energy. For everybody, obviously, but I'm not an organized person and forcing myself into that thinking is exhausting. It makes it worse when I have to put up with people refusing to pay because "I got Axis & Allies shipped from the next town over for half of what it costs to ship Cards Against Humanity across the country, you're obviously a liar and a cheat even though I can look up the cost for myself but won't because I'm lazy and would rather call you names than admit I was wrong."

I may still do small auctions in the future, but I think I'll relegate myself to Math Trades when I've got piles of stuff I need to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
nomoredroids wrote:

I thought about doing that, but auctions take a lot of time and energy. For everybody, obviously, but I'm not an organized person and forcing myself into that thinking is exhausting. It makes it worse when I have to put up with people refusing to pay because "I got Axis & Allies shipped from the next town over for half of what it costs to ship Cards Against Humanity across the country, you're obviously a liar and a cheat even though I can look up the cost for myself but won't because I'm lazy and would rather call you names than admit I was wrong."

I may still do small auctions in the future, but I think I'll relegate myself to Math Trades when I've got piles of stuff I need to move.

I hear you. Don't forget the flea market at the beginning of November at I'm Board - reach out to Dan Harwood for info or check the Guilded Chaos Guild.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure how viable that is these days. If you've looked, the last US shipping MT was back in July. Most of the previously reliable MT mods have given up.

The entire experience has been soured based around the same sort of shenanigans (or similar) as you are experiencing with auctions, except the impact is far greater. (As noted before, someone backing out of an auction is one to one and you just don't ship it--someone backing out of a math impacts everyone involved on either end of it, OR if they are particularly nasty totally screws over several people due to receive from them with no real remedy).

MTs as a whole were an exercise in trust and community. I fear that has been lost.

Edit: Unless you mean no-ship ones. Those will probably still be strong for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
I have a 100% response rate as a buyer...Show me the deals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
hestiansun wrote:

I hate to say it, but I'm not sure how viable that is these days. If you've looked, the last US shipping MT was back in July. Most of the previously reliable MT mods have given up.

MTs as a whole were an exercise in trust and community. I fear that has been lost.

I've never modded them, but participated in a ton (including your exceptionally well run ones, Matt), and the complaints & number of issues in the last few I was in was enough to make me hesitant to participate. Math trades used to rock, and I could be confident if there was an issue, it'd get resolved amicably & fairly. Now not so sure.

Shame that malaise has spread to auctions too :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
msg tools
mbmbmb
Turns out that it was actually a BGG Market Error with the Cart checkout that got it started.

There was a decent number of items being checked out at once which were shown in the Cart but in finalizing BGG did not totally account for them all. So it looks like all except one seller received the "confirmation" message.

Buyer thought check-out was complete and was actually waiting for Paypal information from seller to finish the sale. So each was waiting on the other.

Another patron makes good advice that a bold and clear message subject line regarding unreceived contact or sale confirmation would be helpful. It was likely simply a BGG Cart software error and some human missed communication. Many apologies and only the best of intentions.

Additional Edit:
On the timing - Buyer went to checkout as soon as first message was received. Which contained the following from Seller:
"Due to Hurricane Matthew, however, I won't likely be able to ship out until Monday or Tuesday at best, so please feel free to wait a few days for payment.

I will send another Geekmail message to you when I know for certain that all is well enough for me to get the game in the mail."

So Buyer thought sale was in progress and didn't rush back to check Geekmail right away and thus didn't promptly see the next message.
In the end, glad to hear that Seller did ok with Hurricane Matthew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Glad this is resolved nice & easily

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game_Greg wrote:
Turns out that it was actually a BGG Market Error with the Cart checkout that got it started.
... It was likely simply a BGG Cart software error and some human missed communication. Many apologies and only the best of intentions.

...misunderstandings and neglect create more confusion in this world than trickery and malice. At any rate, the last two are certainly much less frequent.

-- Goethe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.