Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: kublacon [+] convention [+] [View All]
Alicia Hansen
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the new Open Gaming Coordinator at Kublacon. I've seen some posts about the desire for more open gaming at gaming conventions so I wanted to make that happen.

We still have the original open gaming area near the dealers room and the random tables around the 2nd floor (outside the board game area & along the hallway near Knuckles) when they're not in use. However, now we also have an area kind of behind the restaurant upstairs in the atrium. I believe that's where they'll also be holding the Settlers tournament.

On a slightly different note - if you've been to Kublacon the past few years you may have noticed that some of our official board gaming has happened in their unused restaurant - Scalini's. This year they have reopened Scalini's so we will not be holding any games in there. However, they have done lots of remodeling at the hotel. The official board games will still happen in the regular board gaming area and many of the tables right outside there.

See you at Kublacon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I'm REALLY looking forward to dining in Scalini's this year, eventhough we've lost a nice gaming space to them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appears that Scalini's had still not opened and there was plenty of open gaming taking place there.

Nice job, by the way, on running the open gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Hansen
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. This year we had to share Scalini's with Pathfinder for a bit.

I hope you got the chance to utilize our game lending library while you were there too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't make use of the library since I brought my own trunkload of games. But I could tell it was very extensive, and I know you all did a good job of inventoring the pieces. Nice job on that. It must have been hard work.

What is Pathfinder?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Hansen
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it was rough. It took 8 of us 2 days to count & bag it all! I don't want to do that again for another 10 years. Now that we've done this much, we'll only have to do the ones we acquire each year.

Pathfinder Society is a group that does Pathfinder RPGs. Kind of like the RPGA. It's based on D&D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew about Pathfinder. I just didn't make the association when you said you had to share Scalini with them.

Do you guys ever check the inventory later in case pieces get missing over time? Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Hansen
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, periodically - especially with the more popular & out of print ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
Another big improvement you could make to the open gaming area: "Players Wanted" and "Teacher Wanted" flags on stable bases, like those used at BGG.CON. The flags available at the game library are pretty unsuitable: the flags don't indicate what they mean, clamping them to the tables is unwieldy and time consuming, they seem to be restricted to people who've checked out games from the library, and the only reason there are anywhere near enough of them is that people don't use them.

At BGG.CON, you can pull out a game, put up a flag, and be playing in ten minutes. There's no reason that couldn't be true for KublaCon too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Hansen
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Thank you for your input!

I will definitely let my boss know about the stability of the bases. Do you by chance have a photo of a BGG Con flag? Or could you describe it to me?

How does BGG Con distinguish between players & teachers wanted?

As for the number of the flags, the bosses are having a hard time figuring out the best way to advertise their usage. They're for everyone to use, not just people borrowing from the library. However, as more people did start learning about them, we ran out quickly and had to run around the con looking for ones people didn't need anymore. Again, I think it's just an advertising issue.

We also have nother way to let people know you're looking for players: we have a twitter feed we display on a monitor just outside the library doors by the shuffler results area in the grand foyer. Anyone can send us a tweet with their need, or walk up & tell us their need and we tweet (or retweet) it. The people that used this option this year (our first year doing this) said it was very successful. But again, the bosses are having a hard time figuring out the best way to notify gamers of this. Just listing it on the website and putting it in the news section isn't enough. (RPGs & CCGs have twitter feeds for this too in case you know anyone who plays those)

Did you also know that the Kublacon app shows the entire library collection & whether it is checked out or not? I LOVE that feature!

If you have any ideas on how to get the word out on any of these, I'd love your input.

Actually, we love any feedback you give us. We learn & improve from both good and bad feedback - especially if you have ideas of how to improve things, or if you've seen it elsewhere. You can always feel free to email me directly here on BGG, or through the Kublacon website.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Alix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about advertising it in the printed program. Put an eye-catching splash on the front cover... "Advertise your game in open gaming and lose 15 lbs of ugly fat. See page 14 to find out how.

In addition, when handing out the badge, have the worker point out the ad in the program. After all, we all have to interact with the friendly minion working the registration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.