Hide
14 Posts

Spyfall» Forums » General

Subject: How do you deal wi cut off location pictures in the booklet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Sploot
msg tools
Something we noticed is that the booklet's location photos are mostly cut off, and so the non-spy players can always just ask a very very specific question abput a detail of the location picture that can be seen on their cards but is NOT on the booklet photo. This would make it hard for the spy to win any game.

How do you guys deal with this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would just ban questions about the picture. Resistance has a similar rule about not discussing the character art on the identity cards.

Most people wouldn't have a problem with that. It's more fun to win without being cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tyndal wrote:
I would just ban questions about the picture. Resistance has a similar rule about not discussing the character art on the identity cards.

Most people wouldn't have a problem with that. It's more fun to win without being cheap.

So true. I have always house ruled that you can't ask question about the art, only about the location itself. They are impossible for the spy to answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely no questions or comments on the picture. The pictures are just meant as flavor, anyways, and you're supposed to be able to imagine your own version of the location. I think the rulebook even mentions that, but I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But it is hard to prevent people from using the image provided - you can't help but use it. I've never had really obvious questions about the art (like "What animal is shown in the bottom right corner?") but I've had some indirect ones ("What animal would you like as a pet" referring to the same part of the card).
To me, this in one of the flaws in the game. I get that it looks better with the art, but maybe it would have been better without? Or they should have found a way to include the entire art in the overview (even though the spy will never have the opportunity to see all the details..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Wyckyd wrote:
But it is hard to prevent people from using the image provided - you can't help but use it. I've never had really obvious questions about the art (like "What animal is shown in the bottom right corner?") but I've had some indirect ones ("What animal would you like as a pet" referring to the same part of the card).

Why is it hard to prevent people from using the image?

If somebody does that, it's an invalid question that's ruined the game for everyone. You pull the cards back, re-start the round and tell them not to do it again. If they persist, they can't play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is hard because people are supposed to ask questions about the location, and those questions might also reference the art. Like I said, questions don't have to heavily reference
"What drink would you get here?" is a perfectly good question to separate 'party locations' from 'work locations', but there might be drinks shown in the image that people then reference. Is that question then illegal?

The point of the images is, I think, precisely to help players to come up with questions, by showing them options. But how do you judge if they've strayed far enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Wyckyd wrote:
"What drink would you get here?" is a perfectly good question to separate 'party locations' from 'work locations', but there might be drinks shown in the image that people then reference. Is that question then illegal?

No, but the answer might be.

To pick a more blatant example, "What are you doing here?" is obviously a completely acceptable question to which "Wearing blue, standing two centimetres from the left edge of the card" is obviously an unacceptable answer.

Quote:
The point of the images is, I think, precisely to help players to come up with questions, by showing them options. But how do you judge if they've strayed far enough?

I think the main point of the images is to make the game pretty and allow them to charge more for it. (-8

Agreed, there can be borderline cases. It helps if everyone's trying to have fun and play by the spirit of the rules, rather than testing the boundaries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wyckyd wrote:
To me, this in one of the flaws in the game. I get that it looks better with the art, but maybe it would have been better without? Or they should have found a way to include the entire art in the overview (even though the spy will never have the opportunity to see all the details..)

It's not hard at all. I have always played that way and not a single person asked a single question related to the art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyckyd wrote:
It is hard because people are supposed to ask questions about the location, and those questions might also reference the art. Like I said, questions don't have to heavily reference

I've played with multiple groups of people and have never had this problem. First, you tell them that the pictures are just for flavor and isn't meant to be used. Second, you give people like 2 seconds to read the location name then just don't have people continue to study the card for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It sounds like some groups just sit there and stare at the card. I've never had that happen. Usually I just look at the card and put it down. Everyone else puts the card down without me saying anything. (This wasn't intentional).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
I've played with multiple groups of people and have never had this problem. First, you tell them that the pictures are just for flavor and isn't meant to be used. Second, you give people like 2 seconds to read the location name then just don't have people continue to study the card for the rest of the game.

I have played with several groups, and in each of them, at some point someone asked or answered a question by referencing the art. When I explain the game, I don't mention not using the art, because I don't want to draw attention to that. And it feels a bit weird to add it as a rule, if it wasn't in the rulebook. In each group the players have examined and reexamined their picture thouroughly, so a rule that you can only look at your card for a few seconds at the start of the round might actually help.

I think the main problem is that it works. When you reference details on the art, it will help you identify the spy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wyckyd
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyndal wrote:
It sounds like some groups just sit there and stare at the card. I've never had that happen. Usually I just look at the card and put it down. Everyone else puts the card down without me saying anything. (This wasn't intentional).

So it seems it really depends on the group. Maybe it really matters if they are gamers or not? Because I've tried with my family, and other groups that don't play a lot of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyckyd wrote:
ayejae wrote:

I have played with several groups, and in each of them, at some point someone asked or answered a question by referencing the art. When I explain the game, I don't mention not using the art, because I don't want to draw attention to that. And it feels a bit weird to add it as a rule, if it wasn't in the rulebook. In each group the players have examined and reexamined their picture thouroughly, so a rule that you can only look at your card for a few seconds at the start of the round might actually help.

I think the main problem is that it works. When you reference details on the art, it will help you identify the spy.

That's why I tell people from the beginning. The natural tendency is to look at the art. I try to head that off. Occasionally someone doesn't listen to me and ruins the round, and we'd have to start over, but it never has occurred twice in the same group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.