Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary J
United Kingdom
Rowley Regis
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is it possible to respond to an event by casting a spell?

For example, the event card 'Pestilence' says "All players in this region lose 1 life". If I am at 1 life already and would therefore be killed, can I cast a healing spell to restore my lives before I have to lose a life to the 'Pestilence' event?

Similarly, if a player casts a spell on their turn targeting me so I have to discard all my spells, can I cast a spell targeting them before I discard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its my understanding that you can cast some specific spells during events, but the event happens first, so in the case of Pestilence and one life, you are out of luck.

If a player casts a spell on you, there are specific spell cards that can be use when another player casts spells, but its my understanding that otherwise you cannot cast spells during another players turn unless the spell card specifies it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally no. Talisman is not like Magic: the Gathering, where you can respond to something by casting a spell that then goes off before the thing you even responded to does. Only specific spells like Counterspell, Hydra, and Reflection can be cast in response to other spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary J
United Kingdom
Rowley Regis
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you both for the replies, I was thinking it would be "no" unless the spell says otherwise but as a long-time Magic player who is used to responding to events/actions I wanted to be sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witch Beatrice
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In your example, unfortunately no. You would lose the life.
Kudos for your username though. Cool dog!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.