Subject: Questions about making a variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathaniel O
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I am yet another person who wants to make a variant. While I could easily make my own print and play cards, I want something better than that. What I am looking for is recommendations on a site that prints custom playing cards and a place to get the small tokens. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my Pirate Loot Letter variant printed at The Game Crafter. I found them to be fairly cheap, with good quality cards. Here is an image of my Love Letter re-theme:

Click on the image above and browse the series if you want to see more images of the cards and the rules and such.

The Game Crafter has a whole line of game bits, boxes, different sized cards, dice, coins, minis, etc. So you can create a game and use them for the whole process of getting your game made.

An additional perk of The Game Crafter site is that you can sell your game on their website. Any sales generated from the site, they will print and ship the game on demand to the buyer. They take a cut of the proceeds for printing costs and such, and forward the rest of the $ on to you.

Unfortunately, I decided it was too risky to list my Love Letter re-theme with them, as my version was too similar to vanilla Love Letter. If I had come up with new powers for the cards and modified it enough to where I considered it a new game rather than a simple re-theme, I might have gone ahead and put it up for sale on The Game Crafter site.

I actually bought a fun Halloween-themed game that I came across by browsing The Game Crafter website. This House Is Haunted. We played it twice last Halloween, and will play it again at this year's Halloween Party!

I am happy with my experiences with The Game Crafter, but if you want to check out other print-on-demand companies, here is a forum listing other print-on-demand companies others have used:

Cheapest Printers for Custom Printed Card Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used artscow, cowcow (essentially the same) and Printer Studio, with generally acceptable results. Look for coupons or sales though, or you'll be paying a lot more.

As for tokens, make them match the theme. Crafts stores sell beads of all designs, or you can just get wooden disks and stick your own images on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel O
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the replies and links! That's all very useful and just what I needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.