Darkest Night (Second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Board Size rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Laz Greys
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I don't have the first edition. But, it's been on my want list for a while.

I think that this Second Edition is supposed to have a larger board! So, do those of you who have played the first edition think that this game will benefit with a larger board?

I think that the smaller board may be nice to save some space. But, I wonder if the larger board will help during play. I like the graphics of the old board more. Will a few share their opinion. Thanks, gamers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JiveGames wrote:
I don't have the first edition. But, it's been on my want list for a while.

I think that this Second Edition is supposed to have a larger board! So, do those of you who have played the first edition think that this game will benefit with a larger board?

I think that the smaller board may be nice to save some space. But, I wonder if the larger board will help during play. I like the graphics of the old board more. Will a few share their opinion. Thanks, gamers!

The lower footprint of the 1st edition board was a plus for me, but as I added in expansions the size started to become a problem, because cards are placed on the board in addition to blights and standees. It worked out, but it was a bit annoying.

Do you intend to play solo or multiplayer?

I think that for solo the footprint is more important than in 4-player, since you need to have 1 character mat plus 3-8 cards (AFAIR) times 4 in front of you plus multiple decks of cards and the game board all within reach and so table real estate starts to become strained.

In 4-player where you can distribute the stuff around the table, then I'd say that the larger board would be very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the board sizes.

1st edition: 11x17 inches
2nd edition: 17x22 inches
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laz Greys
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mortenmdk wrote:
I think that for solo the footprint is more important than in 4-player, since you need to have 1 character mat plus 3-8 cards (AFAIR) times 4 in front of you plus multiple decks of cards and the game board all within reach and so table real estate starts to become strained.

In 4-player where you can distribute the stuff around the table, then I'd say that the larger board would be very nice.

Thank you. So, you think that the smaller size is better while playing solitaire. Right? I'd probably be playing this game solo.soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JiveGames wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Thank you. So, you think that the smaller size is better while playing solitaire. Right? I'd probably be playing this game solo.soblue

Yes, I think that I'd prefer the small board, but do note that it's quite a while since I played the game and I have never played with the large board, so it might very well be that I'm just theorizing a problem where in reality there's none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you fold the second edition board in half, there's a smaller board on the back that's the same size as the first edition board. So if you prefer to play with a smaller board, you still can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Swan
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smaller size is not so much a plus in terms of gameplay, only in terms of required real estate. I usually play this game solo as well, and the first edition size fits nicely on a small side table. I was glad to hear the second edition will support this as well, by offering the smaller map on the back side of the board.
If you have enough room, I think the bigger board will make handling stuff easier. Especially if you also want the miniatures.
No matter the size, however, this is a GREAT game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
When you fold the second edition board in half, there's a smaller board on the back that's the same size as the first edition board. So if you prefer to play with a smaller board, you still can.

That's great, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unplugged wrote:
Smaller size is not so much a plus in terms of gameplay, only in terms of required real estate. I usually play this game solo as well, and the first edition size fits nicely on a small side table. I was glad to hear the second edition will support this as well, by offering the smaller map on the back side of the board.
If you have enough room, I think the bigger board will make handling stuff easier. Especially if you also want the miniatures.
No matter the size, however, this is a GREAT game :-)

Definitely. I wasn't trying to say, that it mattered in relation to the gameplay. I was only talking about real estate and how easy/hard it is to have everything within reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laz Greys
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Antistone wrote:
When you fold the second edition board in half, there's a smaller board on the back that's the same size as the first edition board.

...Neat! I wonder what the size of the board folded in half is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JiveGames wrote:
Antistone wrote:
When you fold the second edition board in half, there's a smaller board on the back that's the same size as the first edition board.

...Neat! I wonder what the size of the board folded in half is.

The should be 11x17 inches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.