6 Posts

Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Warp and Fleet clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
k c
msg tools
mb
Can a player disband a Fleet while at warp?

I've searched the forums and did not find anyone else who tried this yet. I do not think it should be allowed or possible, but the rules do not seem clear on prohibiting it.

pg 22 states: "At any time on your turn, including your Building Phase, you may choose to Disband a Fleet by taking the Ships off the Fleet Card and putting them back on the board, in the same sector."

I suppose you could infer that because ships at warp are not in a sector, they cannot be disbanded, because they cannot follow this rule completely. (You have to be able to put them into the same sector, presumably the one the fleet was in of course!)

If you could disband while at warp, it would create other problems.

For example would you:

A. Place all the ships separately at warp, and divide up any warp tokens between them? or give each their own set?

B. Drop them all out of warp onto the sector they entered from?

As For A: Any ships that did not get an available warp token assigned would earn one at the end of the round, so none would get trapped more than 1 turn. If a ship found itself at Warp without a token, could it exit Warp to the sector it entered from?

As of B: If this was allowed, this would be an exploitation of exiting warp without using a command token.

It seems easier to just say "No, cannot do it!", but I'm sure others will argue that the rules don't prohibit it?

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would say that either it isnt allowed (you must exit warp for a command before you can disband the fleet) or go for your option B ie they drop out of warp into the sector they entered warp from.
it wouldnt be an exploitation as now your previous command to enter warp has been lost as well as any warp tokens you might have accumulated.

using a command to drop out of warp first seems the most reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
IT has been clarified in another thread that you cannot remove ships from a fleet while it is moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23097112#23097112

"What you cannot do is form a Fleet, go to Warp, and then drop off Ships in Systems as you travel. If you intend to split a Ship off from your Fleet, you'll have to Exhaust another Command to drop out of Warp. If you choose to do so, you can then have a vessel leave the Fleet and (provided you have three or more Ships left in the Fleet) and then Exhaust another Command to put the small Fleet to Warp."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k c
msg tools
mb
Thank you. That makes perfect sense. When ships are at Warp, they are considered in the middle of a move. My brain was thinking that they haven't moved yet, but technically they would be in the middle of a move anytime they are at warp.

(EDIT to add more comments)

I did previously read that thread about adding/removing ships when I was searching, but initially dismissed it (because it was talking about Add/Removing Ships, and did not address Disbanding). Adding/Removing and Disbanding are two different sections on page 22.

It was the phrase "At any time on your turn" under Disbanding that confused me. That seemed to differentiate it from the Adding/Removing Ships from Fleets, which can only me done outside a move.

Currently, I think the best way to interpret Disbanding a Fleet is to say that to disband, you simply remove ships using the Adding/Removing Ships rule until there are less than 3 ships. You can do it at any time, as long as you don't remove ships mid move/Warp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One way to look at it is that ships or fleets that are in warp are not technically even on the board, so you cannot interact with them in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.