Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Joystiq.com, Catan players in XBOX Live realize "a statistical improbability" by showing decent gamesmanship within the normal XBOX Live community:

Is Catan changing Xbox Live?
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/08/is-catan-changing-xbox-liv...

Now, is it because these on-line video gamers are getting older and (hopefully) mature (like me) or is there actually an expansionist revolution going on in the videogamerland's demographic characteristics?

EDIT: whoops, Freudian slip! Meant to say
..getting older (like me) and hopefully mature... I did not mean to write with a selfish tone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Re: Videogamers have found another gaming reality via Catan
its normal for niche games to have a great player base. games like superpower2 and hoi2 have great players and are very paitinet. So I dont think catan is some magical game where everyone plays nice, its just because its a niche product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mika R.
Finland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally would like to believe it is a rising trend that emerges around larger group of 360 Live board games, bringing forward a new type of on-line gaming culture. I've seen articles finding similar phenomenon in the recently launched MMORPG - Lord of the Rings. Does anybody have experiences on that game? Is the community acting nicely in the digital Middle-Earth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
It's self-selection bias. The kinds of people who choose to play Catan over Halo tend to be, on average, nicer people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like halo and i like catan. Granted I am not 14 and I dont have a potty mouth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Most of my attempts to play Catan have resulted in connection errors.

Those that worked have ALWAYS included at least one disruptive player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thjodbjorn K.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm much more likely to curse in Gears of War than I am Catan.

I can't seem to control the expletive when I get shot in the face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hustle Kong wrote:

I can't seem to control the expletive when I get shot in the face.

Its no different when you get assasinated or sniped in Halo2... I shut the microphone off if I am going to curse though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
out4blood wrote:
It's self-selection bias. The kinds of people who choose to play Catan over Halo tend to be, on average, nicer people.

You leave out one important fact here. The size of the gaming community for each game. Halo probably has 100 times bigger community than catan has, so of course youll have more dickheads, but even then youll notice that on average there are nice people, but you overlook that because of a few bad eggs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hustle Kong wrote:

Perhaps, but when one gets shot in the face often enough it becomes more commonplace and less deserving of an animated response.

However, an ill-timed "Resource Monopoly" card play in Catan could probably make me utter curse words I've never even heard before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frederick anderson
United States
bergenfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that age of the players has a profound affect. I believe that the teen aged players of halo have been growing up on the internet and in turn have none of the social graces that were required when we played board games face to face. Where as the person in a face to face game were to act the way a good majority of halo gamers act they would be uninvited to those face to face events. There are really not alot of consequences to acting like a jerk on-line. As a matter of fact I grew up in a very tough neighborhood and the behaivor I have witnessed would get you beat up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
plooky1625 wrote:
I think that age of the players has a profound affect. I believe that the teen aged players of halo have been growing up on the internet and in turn have none of the social graces that were required when we played board games face to face. Where as the person in a face to face game were to act the way a good majority of halo gamers act they would be uninvited to those face to face events. There are really not alot of consequences to acting like a jerk on-line. As a matter of fact I grew up in a very tough neighborhood and the behaivor I have witnessed would get you beat up.

Replace what you said about boardgames and put the arcade games and your spot on. The way some of the kids act in online games would get their head smack in, in some of the arcades Ive been in when I was young.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.