The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tactics Legolas' and 'immune to player card effects' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Devos
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a while back I realised I had been playing Legolas wrong, bypassing active locations with his ability (and also blade of Gondolins). Now I have learned that I should interpret the location as something that 'sucks in' the progress gained on the quest. The only way to bypass this would be printed text such as "ignoring the active location" or something of the sort.

What I understand from cards with the text 'immune to player card effects' this just involves cards that directly affect it. A monster with this text is immune for a card such as forest snare but effects like a dwarven axe or Gimli's inate ability that flatout increases damage do work (as they don 'affect' the card in question per se). Same for locations, Secret paths or Lorien guide would not work as opposed to flat willpower buffs that would work.

But i have a question (which i probably already know the answer to) about these 2 rulings.
Lorien Guide and Northern tracker place progress directly on the card thus cards with the text 'immune to player card effects' would take effect and not take a progress.
However Legolas' ability does not place progress on the location, it places it on the quest, and the location simply takes it toward itself.

Now I have 2 logics that I am unsure which is correct.
The first is the one I would think is more correct (as the game is not keen on giving you the 'positive' side-effects :-P).
legolas kills a monster -> legolas' ability activates -> 2 progress go to the quest -> the location blocks the 2 progress and takes it instead -> the location reads 'immune to player card effects' and thus the progress is discarded.

The second I also find logical but is probably just the result of me overthinking these things (and thus i believe is wrong).
legolas kills a monster -> legolas' ability activates -> 2 progress go to the quest -> at this point the ability from Legolas stops working and the progress is just normal progress -> the location blocks the 2 progress and takes it instead -> 'immune to player card effects' is not in effect here.

A third one would be where the progress gets 'bounced back' to the quest since it doesnt fit on the location. This one seems the least valid to me though.

I realise this question is probably very useless but nonetheless i would like to know the correct way to reason around this. It would definatly change the difficulty and the way to deal with some quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your first read on the rules. The Legolas card attempts to trigger an assignment of progress tokens. The appropriate target is immune to the effect. No progress is placed.

I believe the text on Legolas is particularly confusing since it directly references the quest card, and the golden rule is that card text may override the rulebook. But no, I think the above sequence manages to satisfy both the general ruleset and the card text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first interpretation is correct. No progress would be placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
Your first interpretation is correct. No progress would be placed.

Are we sure about this?
I though I had read somewhere that in such situations the progress tokens would indeed go on the quest. I always thought this was a generous rule - which suggests that it's incorrect!
Nevertheless, no need to make the game harder than it already is.

So to be clear, I thought the rule worked as follows:
Legolas usually puts 2 progress on quest when he defeats an enemy;
An active location receives these progress tokens first;
If the active location is immune to player card effects, it's essentially invisible to legolas's ability, and the 2 progress go to the quest as usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Munn

Unspecified
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we're sure about this. It's specifically mentioned on page 12 of the FAQ:

FAQ p. 12 wrote:
Q: If there is an active location with the text "Immune to player card effects" when Legolas participates in an attack that destroys an enemy, do I place 2 progress on the active location or the quest?
A: No. When Legolas' ability would put progress on the current quest, if there is an active location, it puts progress on that location instead. If that location is immune to player card effects, it ignores Legolas' ability. Therefore, no progress would be placed on the active location or the current quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.