Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Is it true more players = game less fun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
Hello,

I keep reading, despite the fact the game can be played by 8 players, it's generally a bad idea to have too many players. What is the sweet spot?

Thank you have a good day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played the game once with six, and a seventh joining halfway through, and the downtime was unbearable. You also felt really disconnected from the adventure, as so many encounters would happen that you kinda switched off and waited for your turn again.

I would say four is the sweet spot. Not too much downtime, but enough investigators on the board to not feel helpless (and be able to do a bit of everything). With less, you focus less on combat and the artifcacts, and just try and rush through the mysteries before you lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I find it best with 4 players, controlling 1 investigator each. I believe it is also very enjoyable with 2 players controlling 2 investigators each, or even solo with 4 investigators. I don't like it that much with 5+ players.

In the profile page of each game, under the number of supported players, there is a poll where many users (hundreds in cases of popular games like Eldritch Horror) vote for their prefered player count, so that you can see what the general consensus is, and not just the opinions of a few individuals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloum wrote:
Hello,

I keep reading, despite the fact the game can be played by 8 players, it's generally a bad idea to have too many players. What is the sweet spot?

Have you looked at the game's main page? There's a "Community: Best With" section just below the official player count. Trouble is, this is badly distorted by the bell curve of game group player count. Nevertheless, the consensus is always "4" (though I regularly play with 5 or 6 and have no issues with these group sizes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
.....I believe it is also very enjoyable with 2 players controlling 2 investigators each.....

This was certainly the best way we found to play Arkham Horror. Eldritch is a little more forgiving and it plays fine with up to 4 - beyond that downtime and consequent lack of engagement kick in badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also like it best with 2 players, each controlling 2 investigators.
3 (1 investigator each) is ok'ish, 4 (1 investigator each) is fine if everybody stays involved and the game flows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gloum Kupaa
New Caledonia
msg tools
Oups did not think about the "best" section.

Thank you very much for your answers, I guess i'm glad my group is 4 players usually!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aigner
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion it's best played with 2 to 4 Investigators (1-4 players) but I would like to try a 3 player 6 investigator game too in the near future, just to have more different things to do and more options
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it with 3-4, but would enjoy it with more as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Hills
United Kingdom
Portslade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We typically play with 4-6 people, great fun, no real issues with downtime

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the "downtime = less engagement" statements. What are people doing during their off turn in a co-op: grabbing their smartphones? If they are then the problem is not with the number of players, but with the players themselves (and not necessarily those with the smartphone addiction). Co-op games really shouldn't be subject to disengagement, because players should be focussed on what's going on (Encounters, tactics, story arc, laughing themselves silly at the misfortune of others, providing "advice and guidance" to their team, etc.) really, there's no excuse for disengaging in a game like this - even with 8 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
I don't understand the "downtime = less engagement" statements. What are people doing during their off turn in a co-op: grabbing their smartphones? If they are then the problem is not with the number of players, but with the players themselves (and not necessarily those with the smartphone addiction). Co-op games really shouldn't be subject to disengagement, because players should be focussed on what's going on (Encounters, tactics, story arc, laughing themselves silly at the misfortune of others, providing "advice and guidance" to their team, etc.) really, there's no excuse for disengaging in a game like this - even with 8 players.

I absolutely agree, but some groups simply aren't going to be like that. A group that's really into roleplaying and D&D might be fine, but a more casual gaming group might be likely to be more in the Monopoly/Risk mindset of "I play during my turn, then pass for someone else do do a thing", rather than "We're all on an adventure together."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer it with 2p with 1 investigator each. Very hard, but a fun descent into madness. I saw a game of Arkham played with 6p a few years ago. They should be wrapping up right about now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

I absolutely agree, but some groups simply aren't going to be like that. A group that's really into roleplaying and D&D might be fine, but a more casual gaming group might be likely to be more in the Monopoly/Risk mindset of "I play during my turn, then pass for someone else do do a thing", rather than "We're all on an adventure together."
I'm not saying that it's easy to achieve the required level of focus. In fact, I see it as my job at the table; making sure folk are involved, bringing them back in if they seem to drift and generally trying to keep the pace of the game up.

I play in two main groups: one where I am the game host, the other where I am not. When I am the game host I can get a 5-6 player game of EH done in under 4 hours. When I am not the game host a 5-player game regularly takes 6+ hours. (There are only two people in common between the two groups: me and my son)

senorcoo wrote:
I prefer it with 2p with 1 investigator each. Very hard, but a fun descent into madness. I saw a game of Arkham played with 6p a few years ago. They should be wrapping up right about now.
Arkham Horror is no different in this respect. My game times are comparable for the two games and player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two or four is the classic sweet spot, as others have mentioned. Five or six players works well enough. I have a soft spot for five-player games, as there are a lot of options for cooperation and the odd player count gives it an extra layer of difficulty (assuming standard player count cards).

Seven or eight players, though, and the game really loses steam. Even with engaged players, you're looking at a 5+ hour affair. I think the game does a good job of keeping players active (everybody gets actions, then everybody gets an encounter, for instance), but the many different phases really add up to eat up the clock. I enjoy long games, but it really starts to overstay its welcome. I recommend the game for 2-6 investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet Spot: 4 Investigators played by any number of players; 1, 2, 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioannis Raptis
Greece
flag msg tools
I was thinking that the sweet spot is 4. This until I played with 6. Now the sweet spot is 5, because you know, I lose all the time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
8 *investigators* is awesome. 8 meat bodies crowding the table, yeah maybe not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
See, I dislike 2 because I feel like there still just aren't enough investigators out to really justify certain strategies, like the Expedition space. I feel like with 4 or more, you really have more freedom in what you can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subtrendy Gaming wrote:
See, I dislike 2 because I feel like there still just aren't enough investigators out to really justify certain strategies, like the Expedition space. I feel like with 4 or more, you really have more freedom in what you can do.

That's fair. You really don't have time to do much other than rush the mysteries. However, there's still complexity and interest in how to do that, and the game plays very quickly. It's a different and worthwhile experience, especially to see how gameplay differs between low and high player counts, and how that affects your tactical decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lederer
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also with 8 players you will see more repeat encounters if you only have the base game which is off-putting in a story-based game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
Up with goats! Down with sheep!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like 4-6 players best. 8 just was a bit too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Our experience, with 'most fun' as a measure:

Four investigators played by 2 players, starting out (i.e. still leaning the game, or very casual play). Amazing.

3 to 4 players is super fun for all sorts of different reasons and fine speed wise; but knowing/interest in the game is a must or you are in for a very long slog and a tendency toward 'lets just get this done' near the end - particularly if things aren't going so well!

Haven't had much experience with +4 players where we have finished.

Just a great game solo as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gloum wrote:
Hello,

It's only a bad idea if you have players that get bored easily or find themselves not caring about the game when it's not "their turn".

I have a group that is always active during the game and cares what is going on even when it's not their turn. We play 7 players all the time, no problem.

But if you play with people that'd rather be on their phones than listening to someone else read their Encounter card, then you might want to stick to a lower player count just to make sure the game keeps moving fast enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.