Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimo Paini
Italy
Romanengo
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game works well in two players? It remains valid? Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Pfob
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paino75 wrote:
This game works well in two players? It remains valid? Thank you.

I think it works perfectly with two players. It just plays a bit quicker (45min).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can confirm this is a great 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kpalime Girl

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
I found it quite unbalanced with two players. We quickly placed our seals on the first cities, ran out of tokens and then had no use for seals nor money. Unless we're missing something crucial, like blocking some seal actions with third player tokens, I'm not keen to try it again with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed learning the game, and playing it twice, with two players.

I can see that there would be a greater benefit to earning the coats of arms with more players as there would be more competition for the coats of arms themselves and more seals being placed, earning victory points for those controlling them. (With 2 players, coats of arms are best selected in areas where you will exploit them yourself, with more players, you would have an eye on where the other players will be tempted to place seals.)

With 2 players, expect more of an emphasis on card play and other game features where the player can generate points without the help of other players.

Check out the video for Ulm from Richard Ham (Rahdo), he tests games from a 2-player perspective, and I think he does explain quite well that there's lots to do in a 2-player game.

So, have fun with two!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't a fan of the 2-p game, but it may have been more of my problem with the game itself. So much randomness meant that if one player luckily drew a couple of lucrative city shields (placed towards the beginning of the track) it could seriously put a damper on the other player's game.

Between the blind city shield draws, the blind tile draws, and the blind card draws, there was just too much randomness for us, enabling one luckier player to pull ahead pretty easily. We've relegated it to the "toss" pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Greuel
Benin
Dulles
Virginia
msg tools
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." -John 3:16
badge
"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." -Mark 16:16
mbmbmbmbmb
We love it with two players. It's so quick, but still entertaining. The problem we had was that we both went for sailing a ton up front so we hit the end of the river way too early in the game. I think the two player game might be a bit of an exercise in balance, but I wouldn't say it doesn't scale well. I actually like the fact that no modifications need to be made for the two player game: I don't have to remember to remove or add certain cards, the scoring doesn't change, the number of rounds is the same, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kpalimegirl wrote:
I found it quite unbalanced with two players. We quickly placed our seals on the first cities, ran out of tokens and then had no use for seals nor money. Unless we're missing something crucial, like blocking some seal actions with third player tokens, I'm not keen to try it again with two.

Seals or crests? You have 13 seals (wooden discs). You have to pay 2 silver to play one and have activated a seal action. You can only play three crests (player shield) during the game and you can only activate by placing a seal at one of the two locations on the board and only when you draw a gold bordered tile.

The first four buildings only have 15 spots for seal discs, so I'm afraid you probably got something wrong. Cards can score a lot of points as well, so I don't see someone sitting in the few cities and spending all of their disks winning. We did tend to find money and seals a bit less useful at the end of the game (last few turns) but that just ads incentive to use sparrows and choose actions wisely so as not to waste.

We find it enjoyable with two, though I imagine it's even better with more. It's a bit random with the city crests and cards that you draw but the core mechanism of grided tile play is really intriguing. The Danube adds some nice pressure of negative points. It's a super fast game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it just fine with 2 but 4 is my preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.