Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mart van de Wege
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
(Cross-posted with ConSimWorld)

Once again took on my gf in a two-player game, this time with her playing the Government/Syndicate teamup for the first time.

With the second card in the opening being the first Propaganda, she made the decision that turned out to be crucial to the game: she Trained and plonked down a base in Las Villas.

I spent most of the game trying to get the DR and the 26 July Movement past that roadblock, but I ended up losing: Syndicate +2, Government +2, DR -1, and 26 July -4. The second crucial moment was when I pointed out to her that Cash can be used to buy a LimOp. She took one look at the board and decided to Sweep to Activate my Guerillas that I had just painstakingly manoeuvred in to kill the Government presence in Las Villas , and kill them with a LimOp Assault. That was an opening I hadn't seen, although if I had I still would have pointed out that rule.

Game took 4 hours, even though we used the short deck. Most of that was her getting used to the Government.

Again, we were both impressed at the overall design, and this particular implementation. It's fast becoming a major favourite in this household.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Edelstein
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
When I played the two-player/two-faction game with a newbie, we found that our own factions were in conflict too often. I think understanding the game more helps with this though. Glad you found the experience a little deeper than we did. While I especially like the four-way conflict aspect of CL, I really enjoy this COIN title any way it's played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvdwege wrote:
With the second card in the opening being the first Propaganda, she made the decision that turned out to be crucial to the game: she Trained and plonked down a base in Las Villas.

The so-called "Las Villas Defense". It's a common strategy for the Government to pursue, since it allows the government to focus on just 4 areas (all 3 cities and Las Villas).

Oriente (the other 2 pop area) is often less easy to get under control than Las Villas. And strategies that focus on 2 areas instead of one (usually La Habana and either Matanzas or Pinar del Rio) are often tougher to defend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RvdH83 wrote:
The so-called "Las Villas Defense". It's a common strategy for the Government to pursue, since it allows the government to focus on just 4 areas (all 3 cities and Las Villas).

5 areas, not 4. If the 3 Cities + Las Villas are at Active Support but the Rebels remove all other Support elsewhere, Govt is 1 Support point short of its victory condition...

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oerjan wrote:
RvdH83 wrote:

5 areas, not 4. If the 3 Cities + Las Villas are at Active Support but the Rebels remove all other Support elsewhere, Govt is 1 Support point short of its victory condition...

Erm... what am I missing? The Government needs more than 18 support points (so 19+). If the 3 cities + Las Villas are at Active Support, then the Government has 20 support points (12+2+2+4=20). Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Doh. Yes, you're right - for some reason I got the sum to 18, not 20...

/Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mart van de Wege
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Yup. Most of my work was trying to lever her out of the cities. I should have pushed a little harder in Las Villas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.