Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Any GREAT game with about 10 to 15 miniatures to paint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny K
msg tools
I'm looking for a GREAT gateway-game with about 10 to 15 miniatures to paint.

My favorite game is 'Settlers of Catan' just to get you an idea of what I like.

I've been curious about 'Blood Rage' but there are too many pieces to paint for my time.
I preferably don't want more than 10-15 miniatures since my painting-time is very limited.

Any recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery has four nice gladiator minis, and the expansions add more:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Specter Ops is a great gateway game in my opinion and has only 8 miniatures. If you are looking to getting into painting, this one is also awesome because each of the figures are so unique.

Scythe has 25 miniatures, but there are really only 9 different models to paint. Granted it may not be the best gateway game.

Tokaido Collector's Edition is a game I have never played, but the miniatures on this one are really interesting.

7 Wonders Duel has a single miniature to paint that is a great 2 player gateway game. Granted this is not the coolest mini either.

Blood Rage has beautiful miniatures and is a good game. Plus you don't have to paint it all right away...

Tail Feathers has more than 10 to 15, but not a huge amount of miniatures.

If you are wanting to skip the paint job all together take a look at Mechs vs. Minions, Takenoko, or Tannhäuser.

Some publishers who produce high quality miniatures...

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/21608/cool-mini...

[url]https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/17917/ares-game...
[/url]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whitek wrote:
Any recommendations?

How about Settlers of Catan? laugh

The are Settlers miniatures sets, but they're 25 pieces each. RAFM miniatures has them, and has a 25% off Halloween sale: http://www.rafm.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store...

Since they're mostly terrain and a limited number of sculpts, you can paint them faster than typical miniatures, and do them assembly-style.

Or just do the robber!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For gateway/family-level titles, The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac would be a good choice. It features 12 character minis and, if you wanted to give them the same treatment, the 2 large temple walls, wooden bridge and boulder with some nice detail on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Msmith10000 wrote:
Specter Ops is a great gateway game in my opinion and has only 8 miniatures. If you are looking to getting into painting, this one is also awesome because each of the figures are so unique.

+1 for Specter Ops. Just played it for the first time last night and had a great time. It's an unusual sort of game, based on hidden movement like Scotland Yard if you've ever played that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiz-War (eighth edition) has nice miniatures for the wizards...

...and for their transformations:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Obsolete Man
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorechosen from GW is an arena combat game with cards and dice and includes 4 fantastic miniatures that also can be a great start for a Warhammer: Age of Sigmar force. And if you collect other "Bloodbound" hero models for AoS you can use them in the Gorechosen game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
35.94%
badge
The phone's tapped anyway
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are tolerant of some chaos in your games, RoboRally is a fun one that benefits from a layer of paint. It only has 8 miniatures to worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Shadows over Camelot

2) defenders of the realm (just the generals and heros)

3)ghost stories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny K
msg tools
I really appreciate all your recommendations!

After seeing more reviews of Blood Rage my urge to buy it is getting strong even though there are too many minis than I would prefer.

Also, I am happily surprised to see that Shadows of Camelot includes minis, since this game was already on my wish list!

Please feel free to add more to the list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will secondShadows over Camelot.
Second game I ever painted and to this day probably one of the best-looking... and it is a great gateway game. Ideal fit I think :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.