Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
OK Ediciones: Juegos de autor en Argentina - facebook.com/okediciones
mbmbmbmbmb
Nopes, Biblios is a betting game, this is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kovatch
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Straddllw wrote:
Mechanism wise.

It sort of shares the mechanism of 'keep a card, give away a card, bury a card for later', but in Herbaceous you just keep one and put one in the common pot for all to see. Like Biblios, if you keep the first one but the second one is better, tough luck.

But that's about it. There is set collecting going on but again, it's different than Biblios in that you commit to a certain kind of set once during the game. I would recommend you watch the Rahdo run-through of this and Biblios. I think that will do a better job than I could of explaining the differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Baraf
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott's response is pretty accurate.

The only thing that I would add is that the mechanic of "Keep vs Give" then the opposite occurs on the next card has a strong visceral feel. While all of the other supporting mechanics are different, that similarity comes through when you play.

Solo mode even more so because it includes the third "burn a card" bucket.
~Ed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
I'm a park ranger is a protector. I protect the land from the people, the people from the land, the people from each other, and the people from themselves.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go so far as to say one game doesn't remind me of the other in any way.

Biblios uses cards to manipulate dice. Bidding. ...And dice. The way to score is different. The way a winner is determined is different. I think the differences are stronger than any similarities. To the point where I never made any connections between the two myself.

Just watch the many video reviews of both games, you'll get a very good idea.

My first playthrough of Herbaceous was with my gamer friend. As soon as we started playing it was a question as to what to do, how to win, or what possible strategy there was in the game. By the second game we had figured it out. It has a lot less to do with luck of the draw as it does with the timing of when to pot your herbs. Wait too long for the perfect group of herbs and your opponent may swoop in and grab a sub-perfect, but perfectly fine, group of herbs that may never get that good again by the end of the game.

The game of Biblios is a game of bidding. Mind games with your opponents. And trying to get the dice to roll (deliberately) your way.

The game of Herbaceous is a game of timing and set collection. Knowing when to hang in there for more, and knowing when to pot that group of herbs before they are taken by an opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.