Subject: Difference between editions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francois-Xavier Bocquet
Germany
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I was thinking of buying PoG 2nd edition, as I found a good deal, but I'd like to know how different it is from the latest version. If it's only the rules that are different, it's not much of an issue but I'm wondering if the cards have changed at all.

Thanks,

F

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are changes in the cards, but most of them are just clarifications of what they were already supposed to mean.

I know of one substantive change. In my old set (from about 2001), the Over There card spells out that American Reinforcements may be played beginning at the end of the entire turn in which Over There was played. In the current game they may be played immediately after Over There.

Many of the cards are still unclear, and I've done a rewrite myself which is unlikely ever to become official, but ought to be.

And by the way, there isn't any "2nd edition". POG's Living Rules have been revised four times that I know of, but the different versions seem to be only minor revisions (so they'd be numbered 1.4 if they were numbered), and where they are referred to separately it's by the year each was published.

The current rules are available on GMT's web site here. If you do buy an earlier set, I'd print out and use the current rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One change that put me in a tailspin for days was the changing of one of the Russian city names on the map and in the setup. I spent an awful long time trying to set up the Russian 4th Army in Ivangorod on my first printing map, only to find out later that the old rulebook references Ostrowiec. I've seen other people post about it, but never found a reason anywhere that the change was made. I'm assuming someone found out the name of the city was different at the time. Can anyone enlighten me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John David Galt
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I didn't know about that change in the game. Are there others?

There are many place names in the game which are not those used today, at least in English. (Example: Breslau = Wroclaw.) Some of these I knew; others became a good excuse for me to read more real history from that period.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.